• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I second the OCW method. For the loads I've used it, its made for loads that can deal with variations I may put into the batch. This is only for the guns I've really wanted to spend time on tweeking the accuracy. Much of my reloading, I'm just doing milsurp calibers for the fun of it.

I"m no wise old expert but going from 1.5" to 10" with just a primer change does not sound right though. If you have a good bullet, you should not vary that much unless there is something Really inconsistent about what you are doing or how you are shooting.

Scoped? something loose?

Also watching this thread with interest. Not at all discounting what OP notes here, as his target showed what it showed. But unless that chronograph shows data that's for some reason all over the map, and erratic to a point that would explain group size growth by a factor of 6 or 7? I also think there's likely something else going on here.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I second the OCW method. For the loads I've used it, its made for loads that can deal with variations I may put into the batch. This is only for the guns I've really wanted to spend time on tweeking the accuracy. Much of my reloading, I'm just doing milsurp calibers for the fun of it.

I"m no wise old expert but going from 1.5" to 10" with just a primer change does not sound right though. If you have a good bullet, you should not vary that much unless there is something Really inconsistent about what you are doing or how you are shooting.

Scoped? something loose?

I agree. That's why I'm so confused. I was shooting irons and nothing seemed loose anywhere. I don't get it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Flame column igniting inconsistently due to powder coating exposed to different temps/ duration. 10 inches is a lot though, makes me think mechanical problem.
    Single load and then point muzzle straight up before leveling the rifle. See if there is an improvement.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    #34s are magnum primers.

There can be some very large changes in velocity from changing just primer brands, much less from standard to magnum primers.

I would work up the load again, following OCW and see what you end up with. I am betting an accurate load with less powder.

Another, less likely, possibility is a bad batch of primers. They may be very inconsistent. But working up the load will show this.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can say from first-hand experience that the #34's have been pretty reliable for me in .260 duty, although that's not to say you may have gotten an odd batch, it's possible I suppose.

120gr, 39.6gr Varget, #34, multiple brands of brass - it'll stack shots right on top of each other.
    139gr FMJ, 43.3gr H4350, #34, mixed brass - same results, slightly different POA/POI.
    142gr SMK, 43.3gr H4350, #34, mixed brass - tack driver, reliable/predictable as death and taxes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You Really need to use your chrono, for ES and SD comparison between previous and new primers .

Magnumite's post #25 could be a real thing . Primers struck just barely hard enough to ignite can give inconsistent flames, in turn giving inconsistent ignition. ( Hence first suggestion, it will show up with significant velocity variations shot to shot .)

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    OP is a very capable shooter. His assessment is open minded. Let us know when find the gremlin, Warp.

:thumbsup:
    Yeah. When he has an accurate load, changes primers, then has an inaccurate load, it's not the shooter that changed.
    You have to isolate what changed to figure out a solution.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    LOL. 10 may me a bit of an exaggeration, but was about 5 or 6

That's still a pretty significant swing. Depending on the range to target, you'd be talking about a sizeable/massive deviation in velocity to get 5/6" of dispersion.

Personally, I haven't seen a shift that large just from switching to a diff't primer - even when going thru load developments, but I guess it couldn't be ruled out.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    That's still a pretty significant swing. Depending on the range to target, you'd be talking about a sizeable/massive deviation in velocity to get 5/6" of dispersion.

Personally, I haven't seen a shift that large just from switching to a diff't primer - even when going thru load developments, but I guess it couldn't be ruled out.
    I may have figured it out. I measured the OAL using my comparator and the rounds were longer than my earlier loads and may have been touching the lands. I set them back and plan on hitting the range tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    There is something else I just thought of, but don't THINK that would make a difference. My original, more accurate load, was done using Hornady 3039C bullets, but my less accurate load were done using Hornady 3039 bullets. As far as I know the same bullet without a cannelure. I thought I was buying the 3039C, but got the non-cannelure version instead. The shape of the bullet would be the same (I think) but I crimped these new bullets with a Lee factory crimp die and I did it with a heavier crimp to make up for the lack of cannelure in the bullet.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    :thumbsup:
    Yeah. When he has an accurate load, changes primers, then has an inaccurate load, it's not the shooter that changed.
    You have to isolate what changed to figure out a solution.

Duh, maybe the PRIMERS?????

:D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WOW.

Change in primers.

Change in COAL.

Change in bullet.

And you wonder why the load won't shoot? :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread