• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the heads up --- I've been threatening to go to one of these for years. Any word on how decent the vendors are with selling to MD residents for Long-guns?

Bring good ID and two more proof-of-address documents like a bill or something. Your car registration should work as long as the address and name match.

And before I get corrected: Technically you only need one address document, but why drive out there and risk someone not accepting the one you brought? So bring at least two.

From the website of the promoter:

NON-VA Residents: Must be of legal age to purchase a firearm. Can only purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns) and must have the same forms of ID as VA residents. Driver's License from your State of residence and another ID that proves you live in that State. ALL LAWS OF BOTH STATES MUST BE COMPLIED WITH. You must fill out the paperwork and pass the background check, you can then take your firearm with you.

You won't get anyone to sell you a MD regulated gun, even if it is not regulated in VA.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Was going to do the same thing until I noticed it doesn't open until 3pm on Friday. Nothing like driving to VA in rush hour on A Friday.

You could always enjoy the fine dining experiences at the fast food restaurants surrounding the Expo center while you wait for the doors to open.

Jim

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    A post from the future: Will they have any of those 4-round high capacity magazines?

Yes, but I did not get back my ATF Form 400 "Authorization To Purchase Deadly Accessory Item", yet. They cashed my $300 check three months ago and it still hasn't gone "pending" over at the NFA-II Branch. I even sent it certified mail to their new headquarters in Berkley, CA.

Maybe next year.

crasher

Bring good ID and two more proof-of-address documents like a bill or something. Your car registration should work as long as the address and name match.

And before I get corrected: Technically you only need one address document, but why drive out there and risk someone not accepting the one you brought? So bring at least two.

From the website of the promoter:

You won't get anyone to sell you a MD regulated gun, even if it is not regulated in VA.

I used my CDL and Drivers Health Card.

Just sayin', though I agree it'd be a bummer to get denied over something avoidable.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I almost wasn't able to purchase a shotgun once because I didn't have any utility bills in my car and they wouldn't accept my paystub from work as proof. Fortunatly I had my motorcycle registration in my wallet and the mossberg JIC was all mine.:D

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Yeah, it seems hit or miss. I watch people get frustrated all the time.

One side note if you are going to buy at the show: do it early. Gun show weekend in Virginia result in a backup at the VA state NICS clearing house (dealers call VA, who are integrated with NICS). It will frequently take hours and not infrequently more than a day for a check to clear. I have been delayed two days on a VA long-gun purchase for just this reason.

It is a long drive back to Chantilly to get your gun if they are backed up. Worse yet, if the delay rolls past the show you now have a gun in a dealer shop that could be 200 miles away. Now you have a gun and an approved transfer...but no way to get it other than driving or having it shipped to a local FFL. Yet another transfer.

So buy your gun Friday and be ready to go back.

I know some folks have had zero issues. But again, I am just offering info for consideration. By no means am I saying what the standard is.

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    I have been twice and never walked away unhappy or empty handed. always got ammo or mags or something of value to me. Never gotten a gun there yet, but who knows. Thanks for the heads up, Just put it in my phone :) Heck even the GF likes it and has since joined here after getting a 10/22
    I do second the 2 forms Plus DL, I have seen many dealers there before with signs "1-2 additional forms of ID required"

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I’ve never been to one of these. Do the gun manufacturers typically show up?

Reason I ask is that at the recent SHOT Show a Kahr CM9 was seen by others in another forum devoted to Kahrs. This is a new model (not yet available or even mentioned on their web site) which I’d consider and is said to be available in the April timeframe. (Best guess is that it is a C-version of their PM9.)

I don’t buy any model of gun I can’t at least once hold in my hand & feel. But since local gun shops are only going to stock a limited amount of inventory with no guarantees that this would be one of them, I’d like to scoot on down there before I would ever consider a special order.

Can one of ya’ll who have been before please comment on the chances of new gun models being on display down there?

Thanks.

Attachments

• CM9atSHOTShow.jpg
      CM9atSHOTShow.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 384

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i doubt if you'll see any gun manufacturers there.
    you may see the new guns though.
    but the handguns will have to be on the maryland roster and be transfered to a maryland dealer for you to purchase if you are a maryland resident.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    i doubt if you'll see any gun manufacturers there.
    you may see the new guns though.
    but the handguns will have to be on the maryland roster and be transfered to a maryland dealer for you to purchase if you are a maryland resident.

I guess I wasn't clear in my question. The CM9 is not available for sale yet, much less on the Maryland roster. Kahr is just demo'ing preproduction models until April-ish time frame.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    Can you buy a non-regulated rifle in VA. without a Maryland FFL? Cash and carry?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    For anyone interested in applying for a Virginia resident or non-resident permit - Proactive Shooters will be at the Nation's Gun Show conducting our Basic Firearms Safety class. Saturday's class is almost sold out, so don't delay!

Details can be found at www.ProactiveShooters.com

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Got laid off on 1-28 so I guess I'll have the time to go, just not the "spare" cash. Oh well, gonna go and dream.
    Who knows, maybe I'll run into someone looking for a purchasing guy.

Look to seeing some of you there.

Be sure to wear them MDShooters hats and shirts

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Got laid off on 1-28 so I guess I'll have the time to go, just not the "spare" cash. Oh well, gonna go and dream.
    Who knows, maybe I'll run into someone looking for a purchasing guy.

Look to seeing some of you there.

Be sure to wear them MDShooters hats and shirts

Sorry to hear that.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I guess I wasn't clear in my question. The CM9 is not available for sale yet, much less on the Maryland roster. Kahr is just demo'ing preproduction models until April-ish time frame.

No, it won't be there. This is strictly a sales event. You'll see just about every HG available on the market today, and all for sale.

I played with that Kahr you are interested in when I was at SHOT and did not like it. But, I didn't like any of the Kahr guns. I don't know if it was just the floor models or not, but the slide release was painfully hard to use. Multiple guys had to use two hands to get them to release. It's not a one-hand operation.

Again, that was my only experience with Kahr so it might be a one-off.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I bought a Henry lever gun from the Dulles show a couple years ago and they only asked to see my Drivers license. No other ID was needed. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom