• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I skipped this time and for the same reason I'm not heading to Louisville this year (I've gone to the SOS & NGD shows since 2003) because I have everything I ever wanted.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    You are a "glass half empty" kinda guy, eh? Lighten up!
    I like to think of myself as a pragmatic.

dang man, you certainly will miss the lovely ladies at Hooters!
    The "lovely ladies" bring back remembrances of Le Miserables. Also, they are about midway in age between my youngest daughter and my granddaughters. I also prefer to be thought of as a sexy senior citizen rather than a dirty old man. Now, if AARP was to open a wings place with scantily clad seasoned females, . . . :innocent0

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    After months of reading the posts about the Nation's Gun Show, I have yet to find a compelling reason to drive the 180 mile round trip with 3 hours travel time (or more with the rain) to get a look. By the time I pay for the gas, wear and tear, and admission, I'm just not convinced there is any return on investment. What am I missing?

Sure, that's a lot of driving, however, I've done 4 hrs travel time for a gun show. Go once and see for yourself if its worth it to go again.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    After months of reading the posts about the Nation's Gun Show, I have yet to find a compelling reason to drive the 180 mile round trip with 3 hours travel time (or more with the rain) to get a look. By the time I pay for the gas, wear and tear, and admission, I'm just not convinced there is any return on investment. What am I missing?

Find somebody that lives in VA, order all the mags you want and send them to that address, get exactly what you want for cheap.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Find somebody that lives in VA, order all the mags you want and send them to that address, get exactly what you want for cheap.

Nah, my daughter in a free state loves to collect magazines. Occasionally she gifts me some when I visit.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    What i dont get about this show and some others,i have two tables at this show along a dealer friend of mine that has 6 others sales are hit or miss this time of year with hollidays and number of shows going on,the c&r stuff i can sell over state lines and non c&r i can use a dealer across the aisle for 20 doars to do the paperwork for me, and here the amount of deslers say how its slow and people arent buying,well keep turning away md buyers and maybe things could improve.

zeebill

Jan 2, 2015
    Central West Virginia
    Sure, that's a lot of driving, however, I've done 4 hrs travel time for a gun show. Go once and see for yourself if its worth it to go again.

Did that more than once over there and I am done with the traffic, high prices of everything and flea market atmosphere. Plus nobody buys anything on your shoulder and if they look they give you a real low ball offer that is a waste of time to listen to. I am getting very jaded as I have more than enough to keep me happy for the rest of my life. Holes in the collection are few and far between so I have to get real lucky to find anything these days. Lower gas prices help my travel a bit but staying in that area is prohibitive in price along with all the other area type higher prices make me want to stay closer to home unless I know something will be there and I am interested. I give things 3 shots to impress me and after that I am done with it! This show has run its course for me along with Louisville dates too. Maybe someday Reno or Tulsa but even they have lost their glitter these days. Bill

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    What i dont get about this show and some others,i have two tables at this show along a dealer friend of mine that has 6 others sales are hit or miss this time of year with hollidays and number of shows going on,the c&r stuff i can sell over state lines and non c&r i can use a dealer across the aisle for 20 doars to do the paperwork for me, and here the amount of deslers say how its slow and people arent buying,well keep turning away md buyers and maybe things could improve.

Problem with most dealers at the shows is the price, I know SSG has a store front and gunshow guns. From what I've found, the storefront has better prices

pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Problem with most dealers at the shows is the price, I know SSG has a store front and gunshow guns. From what I've found, the storefront has better prices

Gotta agree with this. I went to the show today and the prices were exhorbitant! M1 Garands for 2500-3500 and M1 Carbines for 1800-2500? Thats about 2-3 times what they go for on gunbroker. I can see a 20-30% premium to be able to touch and feel, but that much?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i've been pretty disappointed in prices, especially ammo prices. most there were well over internet prices and i don't think i saw anything at or under internet prices. didn't used to be that way. the only good news is the selection is a lot more robust than past couple of years.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    i've been pretty disappointed in prices, especially ammo prices. most there were well over internet prices and i don't think i saw anything at or under internet prices. didn't used to be that way. the only good news is the selection is a lot more robust than past couple of years.

I can understand not competing with Internet prices, but some of the ammo prices weren't even competitive with DSG or BPro, which is my standard for the most I will pay.

Nothing I saw was as bad as the .22LR, though. I saw 500rd bricks for as low as $55 and as high as $80 or more. 1400rd Buckets ranged from $120 to more than $200. Absurd. One seller, at $150, claimed to have the "best price at the show". When I told him about the $120, he offered it to me for $115. Still not as good as $70 at DSG!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Stopped by for a quick tactical strike this morning. Picked up 2 20rnd mags for my M1A, 3 30rnd PMags for my AR (although I didn't realize until later today that they were Gen 2 without the cover and not Gen 3. Oops)
    Also got 2 30rnd mags by MSAR. Never tried them but figured I'd give them a shot.
    One BX25 mag for the Ruger and 1000 rounds of 9mm.
    So nice going to a free State.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    This show was tough for dealers as well many had little to know sales,personally i dont see how they do it tables are 115$ each and if u dont sign up for the next show you lose your spot and go on a wait list, then factor in hotel and food and fuel costs, thats why i dont understand refusing to sell to maryland residents

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Any sign of battle bargains, I miss those guys. They haven't been at the last few shows I have attended (Gettysburg, Chantilly) almost everytime I go I end up buying something from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom