• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    So there has been talk of national registration requirements. Obviously this is bad and I'd think most gun owners would be against this.
    However, since we already had to register the regulated guns with the state, the Feds would already have access to that Info, etc.
    So, am I missing something other than the fact that they wouldn't know about unregulated weapons? Even though those still require checks?
    Enlighten me please.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    They can track unregulateds too. The dealers are required to maintain the readily inspectable records of who bought what and if they go out of business have to surrender them to ATF.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    They can track unregulateds too. The dealers are required to maintain the readily inspectable records of who bought what and if they go out of business have to surrender them to ATF.

Unregulated that were bought at a dealer, then sold three different times in (legal) FTF transactions?

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    The big danger here, IMO, is the idea of "Universal Background Checks", which is a nice-sounding way of saying "involuntary registration".

Currently, in Maryland, regulated sales go through MSP, so we can safely say "they know" (at some level). Private sales of unregulated firearms are not tracked.

With a UBC program, even giving grandpa's .22 to your kid could force you to submit to the check, thereby placing the gun 'in the system'. In effect, a national registration program in the guise of public safety.

This is why I would support some sort of voluntary web portal, where all you are checking is the recipient's/buyer's NICS status, without details as to anything more than the type of firearm.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Well if you were the one who bought it at the FFL you will be the one they visit and whose freedom will depend on how they like your answers.

Egh....

Kinda doubt it. I have a shotgun that were inherited by my Moms (deceased) husband, by his ex wifes father (deceased in the 1970's?).

This came from Texas, through Alabama, then Rhode Island to Maryland. 15 years later..... I got it.

I don't see that being tracked too well.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    This is why I would support some sort of voluntary web portal, where all you are checking is the recipient's/buyer's NICS status, without details as to anything more than the type of firearm.

In principle, I agree with your web portal idea. It should be easy enough to create and fund a system that non-dealers can use to do a NICS check on a prospective gun buyer.

The problem though is privacy issues. The system would have to work in such a way that both the buyer and the seller have to enter information (SSN for example) in order to get any data out of the system. Otherwise, anyone could use it to see who is eligible to buy/own and gun and who isn't, rather like that map of gun owners put up by that newspaper in NYC.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd need to see some data that explained to me about how many crimes/murders were committed with LEGALLY transferred (regulated or not) firearms between private parties.

This is chasing after the wrong issue .....(again).

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    See my article on how bans work; they don't. Folks do not register their weapons because, well, they know how abusive governments are.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Remember under Hayes vs United States criminals do not have to register their guns because that would amount to a 5th amendment violation.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I'd need to see some data that explained to me about how many crimes/murders were committed with LEGALLY transferred (regulated or not) firearms between private parties.

This is chasing after the wrong issue .....(again).

Chasing the correct issue changes the focus and defeats gun control without a fight.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Does that same protection get extended to us whom will refuse to "register?"
    No. You would not be incriminating yourself as a lawful gun owner by registering, so it would not be self-incrimination.

Non-compliance is easier said than done, especially in this state. The MSP already has a list of people who own regulated firearms; if you've got a dozen regulated EBRs to your name and you don't file for registration on any of them, they're going to pick up on that fast and investigate. Forget ever trying to have an in-state FFL touch it for any reason, either. And think twice about before bringing it to the range; if a cop decides to run your serial "just in case" and comes up unregistered, you've just lost your gun rights in the state of MD forever.

mrb2217

Jan 3, 2013
    The Isle of Kent, QA, MD
    National registration is just a feel good measure. A National Registry doesn't do squat for the person who's house is broken into and guns are stolen. Seriously, how many guns do you think are used in crimes that are legally owned and registered to the person using it? This National Registry will only impact the people who already legally own guns and abide by the law, nobody else. Feel good anti 2A legislation.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    No. You would not be incriminating yourself as a lawful gun owner by registering, so it would not be self-incrimination.

Non-compliance is easier said than done, especially in this state. The MSP already has a list of people who own regulated firearms; if you've got a dozen regulated EBRs to your name and you don't file for registration on any of them, they're going to pick up on that fast and investigate. Forget ever trying to have an in-state FFL touch it for any reason, either. And think twice about before bringing it to the range; if a cop decides to run your serial "just in case" and comes up unregistered, you've just lost your gun rights in the state of MD forever.
    BS!

No.1, I lost all those arms in a tragic boating accident. Why I was so stupid to take them to the beach and fishing on that gale force warning day, I'm not sure. Oops...my bad. I didn't file a police report because it happened in Virginia waters.

No.2 Arrest me, I'll have your ass in court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom