• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I really don't understand the hate that the Desert Eagle gets. I own one. .50 at that. I've personally put over 300 rounds through it the most being 60 in one day (I know it's not thousands, but those rounds aren't cheap). Never had a single FTF or FTE. It's been flawless. I get that it's expensive to buy....and shoot, and it isn't really practical for every day use, but I've found after you stop shaking and the intimidation wears off, it can be pretty accurate. I just can't believe the amount of gun snobs that turn their nose up at it. It's a cool piece IMO.

While I don't have one, I am a gun snob and agree. The fixed barrel makes it more accurate and the rotating bolt design is unique and interesting. The only reason I don't have one is because I really don't have a use for one, yet.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    If you want a handgun that you will shoot, here are my recommendations -

Colt 1911-A1 (especially Gold Cup NM). Also consider the Combat Commander.
    S&W mdl 41 w/5-1/2" barrel
    Ruger Mk-II
    S&W mdl 19 or 586 (or stainless counterparts - mdl 66 and mdl 686.)
    Any Glock EXCEPT that bastige cartridge - .45 GAP (what a waste!)
    S&W Shield in 9mm or .40 S&W.
    Beretta 92 or 96

^^^This. I have a few from this list, and will get one that I am missing. Picking the one best pistol is like picking the one best food.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I asked myself that same exact question years ago.
    With $ extremely scarce at the time I had to assume my first handgun purchase just might be my last handgun purchase.

My solution for my first handgun was a a Colt 1911 Gold Cup NM.
    I have never regretted that decision.

Since then I have had numerous "must have's". :D
    But if I had to do it all over again I'd do the same thing: #1 a good quality 1911.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Everyone *needs* at least one Colt 1911.

Correct. And for proof I use the fact that I have NEVER been asked why I need a 1911. Now by contrast I have been asked repeatedly why I NEED even 1 AR style rifle. But that's a completely different topic. I only mention it to buttress the implied "proof" of need since the need for a 1911 has never ever been questioned. :D

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    XDM 45 4.5in with the 460 Rowland drop in barrel and comp.

I have put 800 rds through mine. 44 mag power in a lightweight EASY shooting semi-auto.

I hand load so price per round is low.

.31 per round using Nosler competition 185gr hp 1550fps

13.5gr of Winchester autocomp 1.250 OAL

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I currently have a Sig P226 .40 and Glock 19. They're both AMAZING and have never given me any problems. Now I'm kind of at a stalemate as to what I should get next? Or if I should even get anything at all.

Just wondering what your end-all, be-all pistols are?

Colt Python - any length - any finish.

111savage

Mar 17, 2013
    No One Mentions Something In 22? Ah I See A Mark II.

Three Groups.
    A 22
    A Semi...I Think Every Red Blooded American Should Have A 1911.
    A Large Frame Big Caliber Revolver.

The 22 Can Be A Wheel Gun Or Semi. I Think A Single Action Cowboy Revolver Is Nice, But 22 Never The Less. Then One Of Each Semi And Big Revolver.

Brand, Make, Caliber...WhatEver You Don't Already Have...Or Try To Share ammo.

toncapone1

Feb 12, 2013
    Maryland
    I really don't understand the hate that the Desert Eagle gets. I own one. .50 at that. I've personally put over 300 rounds through it the most being 60 in one day (I know it's not thousands, but those rounds aren't cheap). Never had a single FTF or FTE. It's been flawless. I get that it's expensive to buy....and shoot, and it isn't really practical for every day use, but I've found after you stop shaking and the intimidation wears off, it can be pretty accurate. I just can't believe the amount of gun snobs that turn their nose up at it. It's a cool piece IMO.

I have never shot one but I have to give it an A+ for the intimidation factor :)

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom -- I have a number of high end handguns. This one exceeds them all. It's hard to describe how amazing this pistol is. You just have to try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom