• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    We need folks there on Sunday mornings to guide new shooters though rules, fees, safety and hours. Or a friendly reminder that the range opens at 1pm

People sometimes break the rules because of ignorance or bad information. We can turn these folks into resposible shooters.

I have worked with the folks at Elk Neck to train RSOs who volunteer on weekends to help keep the Elk Neck facility a nice range. You may want to contact the Elk Neck folks to see about developing a similar program for Myrtle Grove.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Maybe,
    but my experience as a club Chief Range Safety Office has noticed that new shooters who are taught fundamentals correctly adhere to the safety rules but older (someone who has shot before) "more experienced" shooters (not all of them mind you) believe you can not tell them anything they do not want to hear and will not change. :sad20:

:party29:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The NRA has RSO classes. Look under the instructor site for a class near you.

As an NRA Training Counselor I have conducted NRA RSO classes for the volunteers at Elk Neck range in Cecil County for cost of materials. I also am a volunteer RSO there.

I would suggest you contact the DNR staff at Elk Neck or leave a message in the Elk Neck Social group here on MDS.

The volunteer RSO staff works very well at Elk Neck and I am sure a similar program could work at Myrtle Grove.

Let me know if you cannot find an NRA instructor or Training Counselor who is willing to help train.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Another important point that we need to enforce is that when someone calls for a COLD range. please make sure to clear all actions, open bolts and leave the weapon on the table.

Also, make sure that the shooters beside you are also safe. Only then should a response of " COLD" with the customary thumbs up signal should be given. TRUST BUT VERIFY. Pay close attention to muzzle loaders, it takes them longer to make a weapon SAFE.

It is too common that people do not follow that rules of a COLD range. Handling guns, actions closed, loaded guns while people are down range.

This is where a volunteer is greatly appreciated. making sure that actions of people and guns are safe before any of us head downrange.

IMHO, the use of ECIs would be a good first-step. Buy a few dozen from the CMP and whoever is the acting RSO could mandate that there is one in each chamber on the line before callling the range "cold".

Attachments

• Chamber Flag.jpg
      Chamber Flag.jpg
      91.4 KB · Views: 250

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Sorry, been busy at work lately... Im trying to organize the RSO class. Also, i may contact the awesome folks at Elk Neck, we may learn a few pointers from them

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Depending on the order, you can get customized (i.e. logo) on the ECI. I ordered a 1000 for Monumental about a year ago. The price was about $0.43 per ECI.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I would be in for RSO training just need the date, time and location. Got 5 more years in Maryland. I like MG anything to improve the safety at any range is a good idea. I'm still doing that lay off thing so I have the time off and can float $35 for the class. :thumbsup:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Had an hour of trigger time this afternoon. Things were safe and not too many folks out, despite of the awesome weather. The Tavor and the MCR performed flawless.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      118.2 KB · Views: 192

brandofire

Jul 4, 2013
    SOMD
    My son and I went on Saturday with a friend from work. Everyone was safe and had a great time. Lots of AR's and 22's out. Met some nice people, told them about the board and the cleanup/repairs scheduled for Monday after Thanksgiving. Had a lot of interested folks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Still game for RSO class, just need the details when they get worked out.

SCAR, need to give some heads up when you hit MG - Lx1x fired the Beowulf yesterday, so your at bat next.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Still game for RSO class, just need the details when they get worked out.

SCAR, need to give some heads up when you hit MG - Lx1x fired the Beowulf yesterday, so your at bat next.

It was a spur of the moment thing. Al wanted to shoot . Then he showed up fashionably LATE.besides, I had to Zero the MCR15.

Im going to have to try out the beowulf. Im kinda looking for something exotic and something that kicks, maybe its time for the Mosin or 308

brandofire

Jul 4, 2013
    SOMD
    I'm still in for the RSO class and will see you guys there the Monday after Thanksgiving. Planning on going up the Saturday morning before with a few friends and get an idea of what to expect. If you are there I'll be the guy with the red beard.

Brandon

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    As a newer user to the facility I'll make note of a couple things and why I find it difficult to consider returning after yesterday.

I got there around 12:30 and all but one lane was taken. The one lane left (directly infront of the shack, just to the right) had the target stand that was shot in half. Whether by intention or not who knows... As the hour progressed I noticed atleast two other individuals who tacked up cardboard across the entire top of the stand concealing the uprights... open violation of the rules. I patched the shot up stand back together with some plastic pallet wrap film to make it usable.

Secondly the 'cold range' rule. If the range does not go HOT until 1pm and people are downrange setting up their targets for commencement at 1pm than why are there ANY guns out of the case and being handled prior to the range being called HOT? Grey area of the rules ?

First time I went a couple weeks ago it was myself and a friend. We took turns shooting and while one was shooting the other was policing the casings being made. Did not see much of that occuring elsewhere. Individual next to use left early along with leaving a pile of 7.62 casings on the ground. Yesterday was much the same. The entire place is a garbage can to say the least. Not painting a broad brushstroke and saying nobody else was picking up their mess but it certainly lacks..

Covers over the bench would be nice but dividers between each bench to contain ejected casings would also be a nice addition. I shoot both pistols and rifles and it is painfully apparent MG is not a pistol range at all and really shouldnt be open to semi-auto anything. As my parting token I left an extra handful of clothes pins for the next person.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As a newer user to the facility I'll make note of a couple things and why I find it difficult to consider returning after yesterday.

I got there around 12:30 and all but one lane was taken. The one lane left (directly infront of the shack, just to the right) had the target stand that was shot in half. Whether by intention or not who knows... As the hour progressed I noticed atleast two other individuals who tacked up cardboard across the entire top of the stand concealing the uprights... open violation of the rules. I patched the shot up stand back together with some plastic pallet wrap film to make it usable.

Secondly the 'cold range' rule. If the range does not go HOT until 1pm and people are downrange setting up their targets for commencement at 1pm than why are there ANY guns out of the case and being handled prior to the range being called HOT? Grey area of the rules ?

First time I went a couple weeks ago it was myself and a friend. We took turns shooting and while one was shooting the other was policing the casings being made. Did not see much of that occuring elsewhere. Individual next to use left early along with leaving a pile of 7.62 casings on the ground. Yesterday was much the same. The entire place is a garbage can to say the least. Not painting a broad brushstroke and saying nobody else was picking up their mess but it certainly lacks..

Covers over the bench would be nice but dividers between each bench to contain ejected casings would also be a nice addition. I shoot both pistols and rifles and it is painfully apparent MG is not a pistol range at all and really shouldnt be open to semi-auto anything. As my parting token I left an extra handful of clothes pins for the next person.

First off, welcome to MDS.

Secondly, it's long been known MG has some issues -

1, it was originally built and intended to be a Hunter RIFLE Sight-In range - nothing more, nothing less. The pistol BS and a$$holes shooting below the mesh (and at whatever else they choose) is what's chewing the place up.

2, a lot of the people that show up sporadically could care less for the rules or common decency to clean up after themselves - which is what this thread is about doing something about - getting together volunteer RSO's to reign in some of the uninitiated. Particularly the mishandling of firearms during 'Cold' breaks.

3, the regulars do police their brass somewhat - for reloading/scrapping purposes. We do actually leave the brass for Ronny and Dan (the 2 poor bastards that have to fix all the shot to hell stands, baffles, and columns - they are the only 2 DNR employees responsible for maintaining the range on a very limited budget BTW). We used to have brooms and rakes to keep the pad clean, but some jackasses decided to shoot them up. :mad54:

Now if you actually want to try and improve the situation there, I openly invite you to join us the Monday after Thanksgiving at MG. Dan, Ronny, and any other volunteers that show up will be prepping the site for (much needed) repairs that will occur during Deer Season (since the range will be closed for that time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads

Top Bottom