• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    my purchase at CMP store

made a trip to the south store and bought a few garands. this is the better of them all. its a service grade Springfield armory serial#80,xxx. has all SA parts and a SA barrel from 1944. Has a muzzle reading of 1 and throat of 3. best of all it has a lock bar sight! here are a couple pictures

Attachments

• 20120826_202221-1.jpg
      20120826_202221-1.jpg
      186.4 KB · Views: 169
    • 20120826_201953.jpg
      20120826_201953.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 165
    Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That is a great find.

The serial number indicates November 1940 production, more than a year before Pearl Harbor. That means it was originally a Gas Trap. It may have remained a Gas Trap until it was rebarreled in '44. Perhaps it retained its original Flush Nut sights until then, also. No doubt it saw action. I wonder where?

Do you shoot any matches? You don't say where you live, but there are Garand matches at Thurmont and at Marriottsville, and of course, lots of other places.

Wow, that is a hell of a rifle you have. Thanks for sharing.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    thanks, I'm pretty excited. The gentlemen at the store said he was wondering when someone would find it and that it was the best on the floor in his opinion. I am new at all the garland stuff and am slowly learning. I didn't know about the gas trap era. Would have been awesome if this was one. But as the article states for 40k i don't think the CMP workers would have let it get to the floor. Unfortunately i don't shoot any matches. I have been interested but don't know enough and their already isn't enough time in the day for me. I'm hooked, Now i want a International harvester garand with all matching parts. One of the others I bought has a IH trigger group. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Well dang: I have to man up and admit I was wrong. According to Bruce Canfield:

"Production of the gas trap M1s... continued until the change to the later type of gas system in March 1940 by which time serial numbers were into the low 50,000 range."

(Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to The M1 Garand and The M1 Carbine, Bruce N. Canfield Andrew Mowbray Publishers, Lincoln, R.I. 2nd ed. 1999 pp. 43-45)

I'm going with a hardcover book by the recognized authority over whatever I saw on the internets.

Anyway, it is a very cool, early rifle even if it never was a Gas Trap. It's still a pre-war rifle that no doubt saw heavy action until 1944.

You don't say where you live. If Central Maryland isn't unrealistic, there are really nice, friendly, low key matches at both the AGC range in Marriottsville, and also near Thurmont in Frederick County.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=79111

http://tcandsc.org/tcscCMPMatches.htm

I'm sure your rifle would enjoy such an outing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom