• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I'm not surprised but kinda annoyed. I was hopeful that I had more than enough training to prove Loudoun county (who would issue it) that I an proficient with a handgun. However the clerk looked at my documents and said, ohhhh well the judge normally likes to see only what we list as valid proof so you might be turned down. My options were to leave, do whatever the list said and come back, or apply, get denied, do what I need and come back, So either way it was a trip back so I figured what the hell I'll risk it.

It took a whole 15 days to get a response.

13266041_1067636619975378_3495050432140816670_n.jpg

Turns out, a CCW permit from another state which is VALID in VA does not count

it also turns out that a state issued Hand gun qualifying licenses also doesn't prove that I know anything.

Directly from the VSP FAQ

13263819_1067636626642044_8341624048485869131_n.jpg

I confirmed with Utah that my permit was in deed valid regardless of my current address, they said it was valid until it expired.

So what do I need to do to please loudoun? Take an online hunter safety course, that is CLEARLY better than a valid CCW permit or a HQL :lol:

stupid but whatever, it is what it is, at least they do lay it out for everyone. and I had fair warning.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I'm not surprised but kinda annoyed. I was hopeful that I had more than enough training to prove Loudoun county (who would issue it) that I an proficient with a handgun. However the clerk looked at my documents and said, ohhhh well the judge normally likes to see only what we list as valid proof so you might be turned down. My options were to leave, do whatever the list said and come back, or apply, get denied, do what I need and come back, So either way it was a trip back so I figured what the hell I'll risk it.

It took a whole 15 days to get a response.

13266041_1067636619975378_3495050432140816670_n.jpg

Turns out, a CCW permit from another state which is VALID in VA does not count

it also turns out that a state issued Hand gun qualifying licenses also doesn't prove that I know anything.

Directly from the VSP FAQ

13263819_1067636626642044_8341624048485869131_n.jpg

I confirmed with Utah that my permit was in deed valid regardless of my current address, they said it was valid until it expired.

So what do I need to do to please loudoun? Take an online hunter safety course, that is CLEARLY better than a valid CCW permit or a HQL :lol:

stupid but whatever, it is what it is, at least they do lay it out for everyone. and I had fair warning.

I believe your permit is honored as long as you are not a resident of said state. Someone could be a VA resident and get a non-resident UT permit if that weren't the case. Now that you are a VA resident, you need a VA resident permit to be valid.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Do you have the old MD Online Safety course certificate? If you do, that will suffice. If not, you will have to take some kind of training that will be accepted. Just so you know, this is not a Loudoun County requirement, but a VA requirement. I used my online safety course from the MD State police and it worked.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I was worried about my permit becoming not valid once I took up residency, I called Utahs BCI is it? And also looked it up on the VSP site which I posted. My permit is in deed valid until it expires. At that point I can't renew it unless I have the va resident permit. The 2nd image posted is from the state police website.

I took a safely course in Maryland 13? Years ago. No idea where it is. Most likely a paper card with my name signed on it lol.

NRA isn't far from here. I might see if they offer any cool classes and make it an excuse for some training that isn't about no booger finger on the trigger and don't point a gun at anything you don't want to kill.

I was worried about my permit becoming not valid once I took up residency, I called Utahs BCI is it? And also looked it up on the VSP site which I posted. My permit is in deed valid until it expires. At that point I can't renew it unless I have the va resident permit. The 2nd image posted is from the state police website.

I took a safely course in Maryland 13?Years ago. No idea where it is. Most likely a paper card with my name signed on it lol.

NRA isn't far from here. I might see if they offer any cool classes and make it an excuse for some training that isn't about no booger finger on the trigger and don't point a gun at anything you don't want to kill.

Md. DNR will give you a new card.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Wow this doesn't normally happen but I spent all of 20 seconds looking for it where I thought it might be and bam there it was.

Little piece of paper says

Maryland police training Commission firearms safety course certificate of completion.

My name

DOB

Has completed a certified firearms safety training course as provided in article ,,,

Assuming this will work.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    My wife took a 4 hour course at a gun show for $40 and that was enough to get her CCW permit (there was no live fire requirement). Granted she had taken several other safety classes and even private instruction several times, let alone our range time together.

I'm a Va resident, and I had the MD hunter safety course card from years ago, and got my CCW. You got your Utah permit, shouldn't your firearm safety certificate suffice for VA? You've gone through more stringent 'certification' (including fingerprints and more extensive background checks) than my wife and I have, and we got our CCWs in Virginia with very little effort.

I'm confused. West Virginia is going to be constitutional carry on June 5th. Virginia should be too. Actually, all of the USA should be constitutional carry.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    My take is the Utah permit and HQL wasn't on the list and the judge goes by that list no ifs ands or buts. The clerk did warn me that they like to see something from that list and not other stuff.

But yes. It's odd that a currently valid in va CCW permit wouldn't qualify.

And yes Utah CCW needed finger printing and HQL needed another set of finger prints. They got me twice.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    My take is the Utah permit and HQL wasn't on the list and the judge goes by that list no ifs ands or buts. The clerk did warn me that they like to see something from that list and not other stuff.

But yes. It's odd that a currently valid in va CCW permit wouldn't qualify.

And yes Utah CCW needed finger printing and HQL needed another set of finger prints. They got me twice.
    Va needs to update its laws.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I did see that. If I had more time I would have done that and submitted it with my other items. Im just amazed what I supplied wasn't as good as a free online course SMH lol

It I didn't currently have a valid permit I would have cared more. I've got 4 years left on my current permit so I'm not pressed.
    I think someone stated earlier that you have to be a non-resident in order for your non-resident permit to be valid. You're a resident now, so you need to get a resident permit. I think it stinks, but that's what I would do.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I think someone stated earlier that you have to be a non-resident in order for your non-resident permit to be valid. You're a resident now, so you need to get a resident permit. I think it stinks, but that's what I would do.

For the 3rd? Time in this thread.

I called BCI and they said the permit was still valid regardless of living in VA. They did say to double check with VSP and the 2nd picture I posted was taken from their website.

Yes I checked. And yes it's valid unless Utah BCI is wrong and the VSP website is also wrong.

Upon renewal I will have to be a resident.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    For the 3rd? Time in this thread.

I called BCI and they said the permit was still valid regardless of living in VA. They did say to double check with VSP and the 2nd picture I posted was taken from their website.

Yes I checked. And yes it's valid unless Utah BCI is wrong and the VSP website is also wrong.

Upon renewal I will have to be a resident.
    My apologies. Thanks for the clarification!

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Are not Utah Concealed Firearms Permit Instructors BOTH certified NRA Instructors AND State (of Utah) Certified Instructors?

Doesn't that meet BOTH #3 and #7 in your letter?

As a Utah CFP Instructor, I always provide my students, who complete the state mandated 4 hour course with a certificate of attendance, singed with my NRA Instructor ID#.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I would think the MD HQL would also satisfy #3 & #7 as those instructors are both NRA & State certified. Maybe print out a copy of the HQL instructor requirements and submit with license?
    Or could it be they may have an issue with exemptions?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom