• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mellowcream

Oct 3, 2023
    Easton, MD
    I purchased the GX4 TORO (optics ready),for $329 and fully expected to hate it. What I got was the opposite, in fact it has become my carry gun.

It’s remarkably ergonomic, has a damn good trigger (better than a Glock trigger, which is what I mainly have experience with) and I threw a Holosun on it.

Taurus has a bad reputation, and some of it is justified. When it comes to the GX4, I’ve shot close to a 1000 rounds with this gun - anything from mixed hollowpoints to cheap FMJ, I’ve had exactly ZERO malfunctions, which is almost hard to believe. I understand people are concerned about the recall (my serial was not affected), I have two things to say about this. 1. Every major firearms manufacturer has had safety recalls, and 2. This specific recall only affects GX4s built in the US, not Brazil.

Here’s a list of recent recalls that I can think of:

Ruger 5.7 - safety issue

Sig p320 - similar drop when fired issue (mine was recalled, I’ve literally thrown this gun when chambered and never had an issue).

Smith and Wesson EZ - cracked hammers

Glock 42 - cracking slides

Early Springfield XDs - some kinda trigger issue too

The point is recalls happen all the time, and the GX4 is a remarkable value for money and a great handgun.

gx4.jpg

Last edited:

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I purchased the GX4 TORO (optics ready),for $329 and fully expected to hate it. What I got was the opposite, in fact it has become my carry gun.

It’s remarkably ergonomic, has a damn good trigger (better than a Glock trigger, which is what I mainly have experience with) and I threw a Holosun on it.

Taurus has a bad reputation, and some of it is justified. When it comes to the GX4, I’ve shot close to a 1000 rounds with this gun - anything from mixed hollowpoints to cheap FMJ, I’ve had exactly ZERO malfunctions, which is almost hard to believe. I understand people are concerned about the recall (my serial was not affected), I have two things to say about this. 1. Every major firearms manufacturer including Smith and Wesson has had safety recalls, and 2. This specific recall only affects GX4s built in the US, not Brazil.

Here’s a list of recent recalls that I can think of:

Ruger 5.7 - safety issue

Sig p320 - similar drop when fired issue (mine was recalled, I’ve literally thrown this gun when chambered and never had an issue).

Smith and Wesson EZ - cracked hammers

Glock 42 - cracking slides

Early Springfield XDs - some kinda trigger issue too

The point is recalls happen all the time, and the GX4 is a remarkable value for money and a great handgun.

View attachment 437527
    I'm glad you posted. That was not on my radar.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    i had one in my hand when i was shopping for a carry weapon , one of the guys at tyler's carries one every day . wasn't sure , went with the 43x , i know they go bang every time , lol .

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I have a GX4 and it’s my primary carry gun. I haven’t had a single issue with it and probably have around 1,500 rounds through it.

I also have the Lakeline ported barrel, Hogue grips, and TruGlo sights on there. I’m not really an optic person.

The ergonomics are pretty darn good too.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The G2&3&4 series pistols are classified as budget pistols. They are well made budget pistols though. I have the G3C and G3 and TX22 all perform fine for me. Lakeline makes quality upgrades for the pistols. I have upgraded the guide rod and springs, the striker guide and spring retainer all made in stainless steel.

Last edited:

89BSP

Jun 12, 2013
    Allegany County
    Does anyone’s GX4 seem to tear up the magazine followers, the yellow ones mine came with are looking a little rough after very little use. Still works fine, just looks bad

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Have had my G2C for over a year now and love it. Light weight, 12+1 magazines (comes w/ 2). Only ammo it doesn't like is Hornady XTPs.
    Taurus still getting a bad rap for issues that occurred 20-30 years ago.
    Budget priced and reliable.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Don't use slip on grips. Never know when they could interfere with the mag release. And those finger grips do not provide noticeable help with aiming. You probably have some bigger issues if you cannot hit a torso at 5 - 15 yards or so without them.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I have Taurus g3c TORO. After 400 rounds, occasionally the slide does not lock back after the last round. I bought it because I can use the laser round for training since you can pull the trigger again and again without racking. I have doubt about its quality comparing to Smith & Wesson MP Shield/Plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom