My Springfield Armory 1911 is picky about Ammunition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    my springfield mil spec 1911 hasnt had any issues with the couple thousand rounds wolf ammo. I started it out with a few thousand rounds of lake city. never ran any CCI Blazers through it.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Try different ammo, I have a Keltec that wont light UMC but lights WWB and Federal fine.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Something also to keep in mind is that striker pistols have a tough time with hard primers that hammer pistols don't. I know for a fact that Glocks have a heck of a time with Lake City .45's (hard primers), and 1911's have no problems at all.

Maybe UMC has hard primers. I have ~15,000 rounds through a Kimber Gold Match; almost exclusively UMC and have never had a single failure to fire.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Something also to keep in mind is that striker pistols have a tough time with hard primers that hammer pistols don't. I know for a fact that Glocks have a heck of a time with Lake City .45's (hard primers), and 1911's have no problems at all.

Maybe UMC has hard primers. I have ~15,000 rounds through a Kimber Gold Match; almost exclusively UMC and have never had a single failure to fire.

Are you talking Mil-Spec hard or CCI hard? If I ever get a strike-type pistol I really dont want to have to switch from CCI primers.

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Shoot, you're almost done aren't you? Not a bad idea, I've been sitting on 300 rounds of these Blazers for about 2 months now

Yea man...I'm done tomorrow at 11:00am...then I just gotta move out!

So I'll be home for the summer until August sometime...we'll set something up asap...

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    10 seconds sounds much better to me. 30 seconds was a number I saw on a website a little while ago. Seems like forever standing there counting to 30.

10, 20, 30. Different folks say different things. If you don't know why it doesn't go 'bang' when you ask it to, follow your routine. Ask yourself this though, "Is an extra 20 seconds worth it to make absolutely sure the case won't explode into a zillion pieces pretty close to my hand/head/buddy/etc. if it cooks off as/after I eject it?"

Remember, the only thing that makes the bullet go forward and keep the case intact is the chamber walls. If the primer is delayed in cooking off and the gun isn't wrapped around the round, the shrapnel is going to suck a lot.:eek:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    10, 20, 30. Different folks say different things. If you don't know why it doesn't go 'bang' when you ask it to, follow your routine. Ask yourself this though, "Is an extra 20 seconds worth it to make absolutely sure the case won't explode into a zillion pieces pretty close to my hand/head/buddy/etc. if it cooks off as/after I eject it?"

Remember, the only thing that makes the bullet go forward and keep the case intact is the chamber walls. If the primer is delayed in cooking off and the gun isn't wrapped around the round, the shrapnel is going to suck a lot.:eek:
    +1 :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom