• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    It can stay at my place. I promise to feed it and take good care of it.:D

Wow I am touched. You would do that for me? Let me think about it for about .0005 seconds...No thanks, I am good :D

Yeas it has a 16" barrel so it is considered a carbine/rifle. 8 days of waiting and it was mine. 1.5 hours after getting it I was at a range putting her through her paces.

I actually have a Riverman MP5 Clone with an S&H suppressor on the way. I had heard that those MKE clones had to many changes to them for import to allow for the switch out of HK parts. Not sure if that is true or not.

Will post pics of my other toy as soon as it clears BATFE.

Dave

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The only real change to them is a bar that they put into the rear of the receiver so that you can't insert a full auto bolt. The lug on a FA carrier that would hit the sear trip in the FA pack will hit the added bar so that you can't insert it. Otherwise, they are actually closer to original configuration than an HK94. They simply added a nonremoveable pin to the "3rd pin hole" and added a hidden shelf. A FA lower will fit without modification but a FA (and that's key to keeping them legal) pack won't fit. The trigger pack in the MKE's is actually a modified FA pack that even has the sear still in it but it's ground down. The trip on the hammer is ground off too. HK actually made dedicated semi packs for their imports. In essence, the HK 94's were made from the ground up as semi auto's while the MKE's are modified submachine guns. Notice that the MKE has the paddle mag release whereas the HK does not. You can even see where they restamped the nomenclature on the top of the receiver to change it from "MP5" to "AT94". This is an extremely rare case of such a thing being allowed in but the ATF tested and approved them. So all the talk you will see about HK parts NOT fitting these is internet bunk. Only two shipments came in. Here are pictures showing shelf area details from both shipments:

P1090895.jpg

P1090898.jpg

The first shipment had nothing more than a shortened pin glued into the 3rd pin hole. Even the bushing was present. The second shipment had no pinhole bushing and a rod was welded into the hole from one side. As for where to still get one, that can be tough. They aren't importing them anymore so you have to scan the second hand market. The good thing is that most of the guys who gravitate towards thes are posers who only play dress-up with them instead of actually shooting them so most are either unfired or fired very, very little. That is not the case with me. I have thousands of rounds through mine and I torture test them on a regular basis. They are classified as pistols and are not allowed as such in Maryland. You have two options.

1. Find an class II manufacturer in MD. or elsewhere who will buy one, convert it to a rifle and then sell it to you.

2. Find someone out of state who has already converted it to a rifle and will sell it to you.

Either way, it's regulated in MD so you have to do the whole waiting period thing. You also have to be aware of and comply with 922 regs. because they have no US parts on them in original configuration. As for the earlier post about cringing when they are refered to as a rifle....I agree. However, i'm not sure that it's wise to present them as a civilianized SMG either. Perhaps carbine is a better word. They also imported one (AT94A2) already converted to a carbine but it DID have a few extra modifications that, while reversible, can be beyond the scope of the average nontinkering guy. They also brought in an AT94K which is simply a converted MP5K. They are quite nice too but you either have to SBR or AOW them to get one in MD using the above mentioned options. They are SCHWEET!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    OMG... I need to wipe off the screen. ;)

These used to be everywhere 10 years ago; I haven't seen one in a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom