• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerielg

Old Guy
    Jan 10, 2010
    Paw Paw, WV
    I picked up a new Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec from 2A Sales yesterday. Thanks Mark for taking the time to set everything up for me.

I got out to the range this morning to break it in. Now understand that I haven't done any shooting at any distance (not that 100 yards is distance) in almost 40 years. I'm reasonable happy with the result. I'm very happy with the rifle. It's something I think I can grow into. Here are the photos of the rifle and several groups I shot with both Federal Match and Hornaday match ammo. I've got to start reloading.:)

Last edited:

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    What scope are you using?

Also, I have the same rifle, pretty much stock except for a modified recoil pad, and I'm routinely getting a little bit under 0.5 MOA at 100 yards using handloaded ammunition with 45 grains of Varget and 175 gr Sierra MatchKings. If you're not a reloader, it's something to think about getting into.

jerielg

Old Guy
    Jan 10, 2010
    Paw Paw, WV
    The scope is a Vortex Crossfire 4-16x with illuminated Mildot reticle. It will have to do until I can save enough pennies for a Nightforce. I suspect this rifle will also do .5 MOA if I do my part. I'm definitely going to start reloading. I think that's what my wife is getting me for our anniversary.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    We need an MDS Rem 700 5R club. We'd have quite a few members, and quite a few more future members :D

Delaware Ken

Jun 16, 2010
    She'll do even better with hand loads. I took mine to the range last week, and my last group at 600 yards was 3", all in the X ring of the 600 yard target. See loves 175 grain SMK over varget. Enjoy your new 5R. They are definately shooters.

Ken

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Most of them shoot less than 1/2 MOA with FGMM 168s, and shoot 175s into only slightly larger groups.

Most handloaders try to equal the factory match load in accuracy, so it you're shooting Federal match ammo and not seeing these levels of accuracy, handloads are unlikely to improve what you're getting. I'd expect groups to tighten as the shooter gets used to the rifle and learns to get the most out of it.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    The OP stated that he hadn't shot much in 40 years; shooting 1/2" groups requires a good contribution from the shooter and not just a rifle capable of it. The rifle might require some trigger pull adjustment and/or replacement, and the shooter some practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom