• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jake12

May 18, 2010
    After just over a one month wait, I now have my new Springfield CMP special and two cans of Garand food. Still have to do research on the SN.

This thing looks brand new! I'll take it to the range this weekend and report back with the results.

uploadfromtaptalk1360108746832.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360108802549.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360108852122.jpg

jake12

May 18, 2010
    OK, just a little bummed out. I may have a lemon as it seems that my hammer will not drop.

I took the trigger housing out and when I pull the trigger, I can see that it does not move enough to release the hammer.

Hammer looks to be hra the rest of the trigger is sa. I know that shouldn't matter, but something must be out of spec somewhere.

You would think they would dry fire before it left the shop.

Any ideas? Looks like I may have to look for the Garand guy in Annapolis on Saturday.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    OK, just a little bummed out. I may have a lemon as it seems that my hammer will not drop.

CMP usually live-fires each one in a special closed booth before they put it on the rack or send it out.

You might start a careful inspections with the guidance found here:

http://www.garandgear.com/inspecting-your-m1-garand

I hope that it is something simple to correct.

4570inMD

Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    That should be an end of WWII serial number.

They do test fire them all before they leave Anniston. Where are you located?

Also there is a handful of things you should do before you take it to the range. Clean grease oil and possibly even sand a few spots. The new cmp wood stocks are thick in some places and cancause some clearance issues.

First things first. Take the triggrr group back out and see if the hammer will fall.

Have you ever shot? Or worked on an M1 before?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

I took the trigger housing out and when I pull the trigger, I can see that it does not move enough to release the hammer.

Hammer looks to be hra the rest of the trigger is sa. I know that shouldn't matter, but something must be out of spec somewhere.

Any ideas? Looks like I may have to look for the Garand guy in Annapolis on Saturday.

Hammer as in bolt? Are you pushing the follower down while holding the op-rod?

Sounds like operator error if you've never shot one before.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Oh yes, that's a nice CMP Garand. Congrats!
    The rifle should have been GTG when the CMP shipped it. Hopefully the hammer issue is minor and easily remedied.

Hey 4570, You said, "That's what I am lookin' for. . . .". Does that mean I need to bring mine out to play next Hooligan range trip? :innocent0

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    The rifle should have been GTG when the CMP shipped it. Hopefully the hammer issue is minor and easily remedied.

Hey 4570, You said, "That's what I am lookin' for. . . .". Does that mean I need to bring mine out to play next Hooligan range trip? :innocent0

I'm going to have mine there.:D

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia

Yes, please. Maybe Mooseman will bring his Blonde too.

4570inMD

jake12

May 18, 2010
    No I mean the hammer, I removed it from the gun and can see that the sear does not disengage when the trigger is pulled.

Thank you for the links.

I'm located in Annapolis/Arnold

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Silly question but how hard did you pull? Looking at them it doesn't look like it will release but it does.

Also the picture above the safety is on.. silly question but did you disengage the safety?

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009

Each CMP Special is run through a test fire of 8 rounds. If the rifle misfires or has any problems the rifle is returned to the armorer table and the process starts again.

A mix of parts is completely normal and to be expected.

If the rifle does not fire, contact the CMP and arrange for a replacement trigger group or a new rifle. The Garand trigger group has multiple built in safety features.

Oh almost forgot! Your rifle serial number shows the rifle to be produced around April 1945.

jake12

May 18, 2010
    Yes, safety was off and I pulled the trigger hard. There appears to be no way for it to work in the current condition. While this is my first Garand, it is not my first rodeo so I feel if it was something simple, I would have caught it.

Thank you all for the help.

jake12

May 18, 2010
    OK, problem solved. Apparently I did not pull the trigger hard enough.

I must say that I have never felt a trigger quite that hard. It seriously takes some effort.

Feel kinda dumb, but still don't feel I should have to pull that hard.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom