• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    For years I have driven by my neighbors house and saw his flying flags: The three flags were the American Flag, Don't Tread On Me Flag and lastly the Nam 1st Calvary Flag. I stopped by a few days ago and ended up talking for him for close to an hour. While listening to his Nam war stories, I asked if he brought home a war trophy? He said he brought home a French rifle and I should stop by in a few days to check it out. Well, I stopped by this afternoon and him and his son were sitting outside. He said he didn't know where it was and to come by in another few days. His son said I know exactly where it is and came back in a few minutes carrying a rifle in a cheap black case. I was surprised to see it still had the TWA Airlines tag still attached to it! I was drooling when I pulled it out of the bag. Bruce's rifle will be in my book. Here is a small section of his story: "I spent time in Vietnam and got a war trophy. I think it’s a 1930’s French made weapon. I’ve had it but haven’t looked at it for 15 years. The rifle is still in the bag I brought it home in! The TWA airlines tag is still attached! The gun was lying next to a dead soldier and I just picked it up. In our group, the first Air Calvary, we told our men, you don’t go stabbing people cutting their tongues out. This is a war – its horrible. Don’t degrade yourself or the military by doing stuff like that. I don’t recall if filled out any official paperwork to bring the rifle home. It may be somewhere around the house. I was just glad to be going home."
    IMG_2544.jpg
    Rifle1.png
    Rifle2.png
    Rifle3.png
    Rifle4.png
    rifle5.png
    Tag.png

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Very cool. Salty old rifle. Looks like it spent some serious time in the jungle.

Vietnam1965

Sep 26, 2021
    The rifle was sitting in his non-air conditioned Florida garage for decades so I'm actually surprised there is any tag left at all!

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Good Stuff.
    Someone was just explaining to me yesterday how many French were actually in Nam. Need to watch the Ken Burns? documentary.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    For years I have driven by my neighbors house and saw his flying flags: The three flags were the American Flag, Don't Tread On Me Flag and lastly the Nam 1st Calvary Flag. I stopped by a few days ago and ended up talking for him for close to an hour. While listening to his Nam war stories, I asked if he brought home a war trophy? He said he brought home a French rifle and I should stop by in a few days to check it out. Well, I stopped by this afternoon and him and his son were sitting outside. He said he didn't know where it was and to come by in another few days. His son said I know exactly where it is and came back in a few minutes carrying a rifle in a cheap black case. I was surprised to see it still had the TWA Airlines tag still attached to it! I was drooling when I pulled it out of the bag. Bruce's rifle will be in my book. Here is a small section of his story: "I spent time in Vietnam and got a war trophy. I think it’s a 1930’s French made weapon. I’ve had it but haven’t looked at it for 15 years. The rifle is still in the bag I brought it home in! The TWA airlines tag is still attached! The gun was lying next to a dead soldier and I just picked it up. In our group, the first Air Calvary, we told our men, you don’t go stabbing people cutting their tongues out. This is a war – its horrible. Don’t degrade yourself or the military by doing stuff like that. I don’t recall if filled out any official paperwork to bring the rifle home. It may be somewhere around the house. I was just glad to be going home."
    View attachment 404893 View attachment 404894 View attachment 404895 View attachment 404896 View attachment 404897 View attachment 404898 View attachment 404899
    The 1st Cav was my brother in laws outfit in which he was awarded a silver star and purple heart. He does not talk about it very much.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Awesome!!! Very happy for you... and can't wait to purchase a copy.

I remember when I published my first book, I gave my mother a copy with a loving inscription. I asked her what she thought of it a couple of days later and she responded (with her thick Italian accent), "Itsa very nice, but itsa boring". Of course it was boring, it was a science text. LOL. Miss you Mom.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Definitely post war production MAS-36 with the stamped nose cap. It's a shame it didn't get much love here in the US but then again, it would have been melted down had it stayed in Vietnam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom