• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    My type 53 (Chinese carbine) has an interesting problem. As I begin to pull the trigger the bolt handle lifts as the bolt turns counter clockwise. My other mosins don't do this. Bolt stays put till it goes bang. When I swap bolts the problem goes away. So the issue is definitely in the bolt. I cleaned everything today and nothing jumps out at me as a problem. Should I just buy an eBay bolt? Or try to fix this one.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I've seen the knob drop as the friction pulls the knob down due to slop in the rear and.
    Is the knob moving too?
    Are you looking at this WITH, or WITHOUT a round/dummy round/spent shell in the chamber?
    (I have a policy never to put a live round in unless I'm at the range and pointed safely, I have a dummy round for doing this stuff).

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    It does it with or without a round. If you look at it like a clock. The bolt handle is in the 3oclock position when closed. As you pull the trigger the handle rotates towards the 2oclock position.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    you say it doesnt happen with other bolts, have you tried disassembling the bolt, along with another bolt that you confirmed works to see whats different between the two?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Some guns do it but its only with a dead chamber. If the gun head spaces OK you should be fine. If you want to swap bolts that's OK, again. Heck headspace on e done.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Maybe might I suggest looking at the bolt body (#1 below) where it rides on the back of the receiver. It's sloped so the bolt can push in but then it should go flat. I wonder if you compare one of your bad to your good bolts. I am wondering if it's been ground down by Ivan during refurb maybe as he was trying at adjust headspace from one bolt to the receiver?
    http://62x54r.net/MosinID/4335_small.jpg
    http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

If you were to dissassemble and just replace the bolt body from your other mosin, you'd isolate it to the component you need. But you'd need to check headspace on the new bolt body right?

If you pull on the cocking knob/safety with the bolt closed, it should not rotate up either I'd expect. This may be another test to look at. If you were to pull on the cocking knob/safety and rotate it to the safe position, you would not expect the bolt to start to open either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom