• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Any pics of the Cubs? :) Would love to ride in one somewhere like AK.
    I love riding in these things...

Attachments

• 20190829_100020.jpg
      20190829_100020.jpg
      493.6 KB · Views: 63

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Great story! Sounds like a good time, even if there was no harvest. That just makes it all the sweeter. Thanks for sharing, and inspiring the rest of us.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I will continue to live vicariously through you and your adventures MDHunter. Great story and pics!

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    OP, curious why this is your last hunt? Or by "last" you mean "latest"?
    It's my last remote Alaska flyout hunt...did the first one back in 2002, have done 12-15 since then. I'm 62, the remote hunts are a ton of work (I supplied all of the gear since 2010, and just recruit friends or partners for the hunt). Also, my girlfriend and I dated long distance for 20 years (she in CA, me in MD) until I retired in 2020; we've only lived together for 3 years, still feels like newlyweds. We have a bunch of places we want to see, and are planning on 3-4 trips a year for the foreseeable future.

When I completed this hunt, I sold my tents, backpacks, and sleeping bags and other gear to various sportsmen in Anchorage, and shut down my storage unit.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    That is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

I see one caribou is in velvet and one is not. Why do you suppose that is?
    It's the time of year when they start shedding their velvet, but all of the bulls shed at different speeds. My bull had velvet falling off that we pulled off; my nephew's had most of its velvet still on; and his Dad's was nearly free of velvet.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Somewhere along the way to Alaska I had caught some type of cold/flu, and hadn’t been sleeping well; between our night in Tok and our first night in camp, I probably got a total of about 2 hours sleep. So the first morning of the hunt, I told the guys I needed to lay in my sleeping bag for a while, even if I didn’t sleep. They got up and started glassing, and eventually hiked over to a couple of ridges just across the saddle from camp.

I got out of my bag about 10 AM, got a snack, and started glassing from camp. I saw the guys about ¾ mile away on one of the ridges, and saw a few small groups of caribou wandering throughout the area. Around 11 AM, a group of about 30 caribou wandered past camp on the ridge behind me. One bull was big enough to shoot, so I made a quick decision and said “I haven’t really started hunting, so if you keep walking, I’m gonna let you go. But if you stop and get clear of the other caribou, I will take you.”

They kept moving across the ridge while I watched them from near camp. When the bull was about 250 yards away, he cleared the other caribou and stopped to feed. One shot from my .338 Winchester ensured that my family in Anchorage would have caribou meat at the end of the hunt. A good meat bull, and a really easy pack to camp!

zbq7Ew.jpg

Wow. Cool story and pictures. Do you harvest all the meat and take it home?

Good idea taking the kevlar vest off the caribou before taking pic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom