• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    It will be home defense and target
    You can't go wrong with a budget shotgun. Don't over think it. Mossberg, Remington, and Maverick are fine choices. A coach gun (double barreled short shotgun) works too.

Folks will say 12ga or 20ga works. They are right. I'd pick 12ga because the ammo can be found everywhere.

Buckshot and slugs work too. Yes folks will over think that too.

Given the criteria presented: coach gun with slugs works for me. Others will disagree.

Last edited:

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    For a lower-end budget, used 870s like the ones Shooter's Discount is selling are a good choice. For even less money, (around $200 or less) you can get a new Pardner Pump/NEF/IAC Hawk. They are very solid, tough copies of the 870 with a few differences, the main one being the barrel lug is further forward, so Remington 870 barrels cannot be interchanged, but many other parts can be.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    For a lower-end budget, used 870s like the ones Shooter's Discount is selling are a good choice. For even less money, (around $200 or less) you can get a new Pardner Pump/NEF/IAC Hawk. They are very solid, tough copies of the 870 with a few differences, the main one being the barrel lug is further forward, so Remington 870 barrels cannot be interchanged, but many other parts can be.
    Lou at Shooter's Discount really does offer the best prices in MD. I like him. He has no idea who I am. I've gone into his shop and bought just one gun. My brother bought one. A very good friend also bought one. My son did too. A 'few' other friends have as well. Lou may or may not have what you want in stock right now, as in 'today'. If he has what you want, buy it. The price is more than fair!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Lou at Shooter's Discount really does offer the best prices in MD. I like him. He has no idea who I am. I've gone into his shop and bought just one gun. My brother bought one. A very good friend also bought one. My son did too. A 'few' other friends have as well. Lou may or may not have what you want in stock right now, as in 'today'. If he has what you want, buy it. The price is more than fair!

I actually purchased an LE trade 870 magnum from Lou this weekend. Solid gun with some dings from the cops but has very little wear from firing. Also it has a speed feed stock and metal trigger guard.

Great service from Lou as well. He was very complimentary, telling me I had a "purty" mouth, and standing very close behind me as I looked at the guns in case I had any questions.:lol2:

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I actually purchased an LE trade 870 magnum from Lou this weekend. Solid gun with some dings from the cops but has very little wear from firing. Also it has a speed feed stock and metal trigger guard.

Great service from Lou as well. He was very complimentary, telling me I had a "purty" mouth, and standing very close behind me as I looked at the guns in case I had any questions.:lol2:
    I have no idea why this post just cracks me up! :lol2::lol:

microstar22

Apr 24, 2016
    I am also thinking about a shotty for home defense (never owned one before). How much is reasonable to spend? The gentleman that said $137 seems like that would be low?

hkuspcomp

Jun 29, 2014
    Get a 500. Loved mine as a first shotgun home defense gun. Ended up upgrading to a 930 spx for more fun recently

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    If on a budget grab a pardner pump. Solid steel receiver. 870 chinese clone. Has some heft.

Want something lighter? Get a maverick 88; mossberg's entry level. Both great for the sub $200 price.

Spend more money if you want but for low volume sd these are a good start.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    WalMart has a Mossberg 500 with two barrels (one for birds, and a shorter one for slugs) for $300. So that's under your $400 budget, you get two barrels, and parts are readily available.

Feb 28, 2013
    If on a budget grab a pardner pump. Solid steel receiver. 870 chinese clone. Has some heft.

Want something lighter? Get a maverick 88; mossberg's entry level. Both great for the sub $200 price.

Spend more money if you want but for low volume sd these are a good start.

Oh yeah. I dun fergot about those. :thumbsup:

Beefy bitches, they are. And at a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom