• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I just mounted a Vortex Diamond back on my 20 inch AR, took me 3 hours lol. I mounted it upside down in the beginning than backwards and I think I did it right now, it's really far from the charging handle, I followed some youtube videos and adjusted eye relief, i just put my cheek where it was comfortable an moved the scope back and fourth to the point where the picture was full with no black paralax.

I looked at some scope mounting pictures and a lot more youtube videos and there scopes are at the charging handle how come my scope is different, is it cause where I put my cheek or did I just do it wrong? pics below

Attachments

• DSC_00423.jpg
      DSC_00423.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 395
    • DSC_0035.jpg
      DSC_0035.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 399

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    more pics

Attachments

• DSC_0045.jpg
      DSC_0045.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 388
    • DSC_0046.jpg
      DSC_0046.jpg
      24.1 KB · Views: 392

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Move your scope mount back so it is all on the upper receiver. It should not be on the handguard. The rear of the scope should be about even with the charging handle.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    yes, that looks too far forward.

what is the eye relief on that scope?

Extend the stock.
    Close your eyes while you bring your AR up to your shoulder and rest your cheek on stock like you are aiming.
    Now open your eyes. Is the scope giving you a full view of the FOV or do you need to move your head forward/backwards to get full view?

YOu should not have to mount the gun, then move your head forward/back to get proper eye relief and see a full FOV. If so, your scope mounting is wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUudK3qJdTQ

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Move your scope mount back so it is all on the upper receiver. It should not be on the handguard. The rear of the scope should be about even with the charging handle.

Extend the stock.
    Close your eyes while you bring your AR up to your shoulder and rest your cheek on stock like you are aiming.
    Now open your eyes. Is the scope giving you a full view of the FOV or do you need to move your head forward/backwards to get full view?

YOu should not have to mount the gun, then move your head forward/back to get proper eye relief and see a full FOV. If so, your scope mounting is wrong.

Agreed. Also, by extending the Length Of Pull(if you are of average size), it will automatically square your shoulder up on the rifle butt. That helps mitigate the effects of recoil and decrease time between follow-up shots.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016

Extend the stock.

So, I should mount the scope closer and just adjust eye relief based on extending the stock and fit?

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Agreed. Also, by extending the Length Of Pull(if you are of average size), it will automatically square your shoulder up on the rifle butt. That helps mitigate the effects of recoil and decrease time between follow-up shots.

I'll try it and adjust the stock, I just have to make sure I can reach the handguard. I had the stock all the way down cause my arms would barley reach the hand guard lol

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Fit the stock length before you do the scope
    Scope IMO comes last
    Adjust the stock so your in proper shooting position.
    Then adjust the scope and mounts to get it to where YOU are. Don't make it so you have to hunt around when mounting the gun to your shoulder and cheek.
    Think about it. You want to be able to raise up the gun and be ready to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'll try it and adjust the stock, I just have to make sure I can reach the handguard. I had the stock all the way down cause my arms would barley reach the hand guard lol

That's right. I forgot. If you have a shorter LOP, then your set-up is probably good for you. You will still need to move your scope mount back so it touches only the upper receiver and does not overlap onto the fore end. That may require you lengthen your stock by one notch or so. :thumbsup:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Everything posted above has been my experience as well.

I also like to put the scope/mount assembly weight center over the magazine (or as close as possible). This prevents the center of gravity of the gun from changing with changes in magazine weight and rounds within.

If a 20 inch HBAR I move the scope with mount back to alleviate some of the front heavy balance. I was looking at length of the scope and eyebox specs for awhile in selecting a couple scopes.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    That's right. I forgot. If you have a shorter LOP, then your set-up is probably good for you. You will still need to move your scope mount back so it touches only the upper receiver and does not overlap onto the fore end. That may require you lengthen your stock by one notch or so. :thumbsup:

I moved it flush with the handle and pulled the stock back and tried closing my eyes putting to shoulders and when I open them it stopped having a full field of view. I had to start hunting for it. I have going to move the scope mount onto the receiver only, not touching the handguard and adjust the scope inside the rings

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I moved the actual mount above the magazine well, and on the reciever only and did the shoulder eyes close than open test in comortable position, and this is where the field of view is consistent everytime. Is this because my LOP is shorter than the average person? Will there be issues later? Pics

7b46bfe567882ac34de9b3060cc2ef11.jpg

761a1d2d4cb47e9175138b74e6b8e1b0.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The stock looks fully collapsed.

Try pulling it out a notch at a time.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I pulled it out one notch and moved then moved and realigned the scope again, fit seems better its a little halfay ontop if the backup sights, I did a good 30 minutes prone and bench and lifting it up again and it was much better

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Okay, I just moved it back to the charging handle and re-leveled it after this I'll be an expert at leveling lol. I extended the stock out 2 notches because I noticed in the picture I'm straining my head forward.

My neck is straighter and more relaxed with less strain and has more of a natural curve. I've always been told to keep your nose up against the charging handle with stock collapsed all the way back to create a small profile and make reference cheek weld consistent.

I think the problem is I was treating this like a red dot and or iron sights

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I was using a six position stock for awhile. I needed the stability of a fixed stock. I had no problem going to the A2 stock because I always used the collasible stock on the second longest extension...which is the same length of pull. Winter wear is equally compatible.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    This is how I'm shouldering usually, seems like it works lol
    I can see an issue. With the stock collapsed all the way you are going to start feeling some pain in your right wrist if you do a lot of shooting with it. More ergonomic if you switch the grip out for one of the more vertical angle ones make by Umbrella Corp or B5 (PSA carries them). Otherwise move the stock back at least 2 notches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom