• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I'm wondering if I should try the crossover thumbs hold with the 9mm. It seems to me that it becomes even harder to flinch with that hold.

Give it a try, if it feels good to you, use it. There was an article I read a long time ago about that grip being taught to recruits at the police academy and increased passing rates. I couldn't find that article but here is one where Dave Sevigny talks pros and cons of both grips.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics-training/tactics_training_combatg_100306/

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Great choice!

Ruger+GP+WC.jpg

Bar none, the GP 100 is my favorite revolver of all time.

Might be the greatest revolver ever made.

And I don't own one.

Let me shoot yours. :)

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Give it a try, if it feels good to you, use it. There was an article I read a long time ago about that grip being taught to recruits at the police academy and increased passing rates. I couldn't find that article but here is one where Dave Sevigny talks pros and cons of both grips.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics-training/tactics_training_combatg_100306/

Thanks for the great link...what a great read!

Actually, that thumb over thumb grip is different than the one I was using on my revolver...the grip that Jerry Miculek recommends for revolvers

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/JMGrip.jpg

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Yes, I actually took a lesson, and it confirmed that I'm flinching with the auto 9mm. And my first shots with the semi auto generally hit where I'm pointing, so the flinch develops after I start. But the more I shoot it, the worse that my flinching becomes and I start pulling low left. And I did at least part of what you suggested...after emptying two mags of 9mm, I went back to the GP100, and was shooting at point of aim right off the bat.

The guy I took the lesson from said that this should get better with more range time, which is what you said too. I'm wondering if I should try the crossover thumbs hold with the 9mm. It seems to me that it becomes even harder to flinch with that hold.

Try shooting a .22 semi and see if you flinch. It may be the mechanical action of the movement you are feeling that is triggering a reaction.

When shooting the 9mm slow down. Concentrate one shot at a time make that one shot count then think about the next shot. Speed will come later.

Have someone else load your magazine and include some snap caps. Google Ball and Dummy Drill.

Read the section on trigger control in the USAMU Pistol Marksmanship Guide:
    http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

You may want to also consider changing the springs in the gun both trigger springs and recoil springs can have an effect on what a shooter perceives.

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Try shooting a .22 semi and see if you flinch. It may be the mechanical action of the movement you are feeling that is triggering a reaction.

When shooting the 9mm slow down. Concentrate one shot at a time make that one shot count then think about the next shot. Speed will come later.

Have someone else load your magazine and include some snap caps. Google Ball and Dummy Drill.

Read the section on trigger control in the USAMU Pistol Marksmanship Guide:
    http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

Thanks for the link, very helpful! And yes, when I took a lesson, my teacher did put in some snap caps and it proved what I suspected...that I was flinching. I've since purchased some myself and will drill myself in the future

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I may have narrowed my HQL cherry buster down to a GP100 or SW 686+. I've loved that Wiley clapp edition for a while. Man has to have a revolver.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Most people skilled with semis and revolvers can shoot a revolver faster with equal target size and ammo power. The weight, balance, grip shape independent from mag dimentions, very low bore axis, and mechanical speed of a cylinder rotating instead of a slide reciprocating give it an advantage over autos.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Congrats on the GP100 very nice gun. I have a S&W 686 and is my favorite (and most accurate) pistol I have. Next you need to get reloading equipment so the cost of shooting the GP100 is manageable :D

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Congratulations on the GP-100. My first handgun was a Ruger Security-Six, but being in school at the time I couldn't afford to shoot it. So i bought a Ruger blued Standard Auto! The GP-100 replaced the Security-Six, but i still think the Security-Six is a better gun as there's too much steel in today's .357s.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Some people (my daughter is one) are affected somewhat by a semi-auto throwing the brass cases after firing and begin to anticipate it.

I also believe that in general, good revolvers are just plain more accurate than most semi autos.

5 shooters are smaller for concealed carry? Geez those Smith x-frames don't look that small to me! ;) - (sorry, couldn't help myself!)

I'm more a S&W guy, but I do think your GP100 is a great choice for a wheelgun

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    I took the semi auto and GP100 out again this week. And again, no comparison. My very first shot with the 9mm was right down the middle, and everything else after that was low left. The GP100 was right down the middle for every shot. In addition to forcing you to holding the gun and sights steady in double action, the increased weight also make a difference. My 9mm is not quite 30 oz whereas the GP100 is 40 oz. Even with the mildest loads I have, the 9mm is more snappy and jumpy than the GP100 is with moderate 357 loads. With 38 special, it is so easy to shoot that it almost feels like a 22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom