• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    A CMP rifle wasn't really out of reach, just a longer wait time. And when I saw this rifle all I can think of is how much work it was going to need. But then thought somebody has to bring it back to its former glory so why not me, it wasn't really a horrible price. I'll get great satisfaction of learning my rifle and putting the work into it to clean it up and get it shooting well.

That's exactly what happened to me. My CMP rifle was on order with an unknown delivery date. Anti-2A sentiment was reaching fever pitch and I wasn't certain that I'd actually receive it.

I stumbled upon the consignment shop rifle and snapped it up. Now I have two. They are beautiful and I'll probably will them to my son-in-law but I won't sell them.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    Go to garand collectors association, pay $25 and they will automatically send your info to the CMP and send you an ID card in a day or two.

AND they send you a magazine of cool garand stories every quarter or so. Easiest group to join that gives you CMP access.

And your HQL or AGC badge is sufficient for marksmanship requirements. It’s a very simple
    Process, please PM me if you’d like further guidance.

thanks so much , signed up today , always wanted an M1 will use this to get into CMP . thanks , dan .

blazzent45

Apr 18, 2017
    Somewhere in Glen Burnie
    Go to garand collectors association, pay $25 and they will automatically send your info to the CMP and send you an ID card in a day or two.

AND they send you a magazine of cool garand stories every quarter or so. Easiest group to join that gives you CMP access.

And your HQL or AGC badge is sufficient for marksmanship requirements. It’s a very simple
    Process, please PM me if you’d like further guidance.

Wow I didn't know the HQL would have qualified me dang..... Thanks for the info...

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    How much does a pawn shop charge for an M1 with a barrel that needs to be replaced ?
    Is the CMP out of rifles ?

No but they are running out of the low-end stuff. I placed an order last year for a Rack grade rifle and they emailed me two months ago saying they had processed my packet I sent in July. Then they called me three weeks ago and said they had a small number of Service grade rifles available and did I want to upgrade my order to ship immediately versus two weeks from now?

My response was "Why yes, yes I would. Thank you very much!".

The rifle that showed up as Service grade blew my mind. New wood, near-new barrel (gauged muzzle 1/ throat 2), Springfield receiver, most blue intact. This looks more like a James River rebuild than a CMP rifle. This rifle just became my range M1 so I can leave my other Service grade H&R M1 in the safe as it is more original.

Now they are down to Expert grade. You want to know what? Still worth the $1000. CMP grades conservatively. What would be their Service grade rifle would be Collector grade from a dealer and I've seen CMP rifles sold by dealers in worse shape than anything I own from the CMP for a lot more than what CMP is charging.

If you are road trip type person it might be worth a weekend drive to Camp Perry to the North Store and just buy the M1 directly from them. Then you can select your candidate in person. Until my rifle showed up I was going to go there in a month to get my second M1.

M1s aren't going to go down in value. Lots of them out there but CMP rifles are worth the money. I have the two CMP M1s and a CMP 1911A1 (got lucky there) and I have no complaints. Best $2000 I've ever spent on three guns.

Matt

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    FWIW the new issue of Garand Collector Journal from the CGA was in the mailbox this afternoon. Looks like at least a couple good articles. A quick glance in the classifieds and some guy is selling two unissued M1D's for $20K for the pair. Don't recall if they are sequential serial numbers or not.

Love that magazine.

Hell, even the old, back issues sell for $$$ on the CMP forum.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I took my CMP service grade to him for a once over - he didn't like the headspace so he changed out the bolt. Take advantage of Charlie's expertise while he is still able.

Charlie brought my M1 back to life. Super guy; knows his stuff!

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Instead of risking screwing something up, go see Charlie Maloney. There is a lot more to rebarreling an M1 than just screwing on a new barrel. Charlie is the man when it comes to Garands.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I was at CMP OH on 3/19
    They had probably 30 Special Rack M1s for $750, price was increasing to $850 on 3/21
    They had a rack full of IH M1s for $1900 and a rack of M1C and M1D for $2-3000

I was at CMP AL on 2/11
    They had just received more than 120 Special Rack M1s that day for $750 (now $850)
    They had moved the $2k and up M1s behind the counter.

They said that all of these Special rack rifles were from the Philippines. All SA receivers.
    All with new stock and barrels and whatever new parts that were required.
    Basically all victims of salt air and termites.
    Some had light corrosion on the receivers, some not so light but all re-parked.

Each rifle comes with a sling, chamber flag, 1 endblock clip and a nice case made to fit one M1 rifle. (plastic, but nice)

In OH they said you can buy 1 special rack every 30 days, max of 8 per year. I didn't ask in AL.
    The IH and M1C, M1D.... if you got the $$ you could walk out with your 8 all at once.

AL would ONLY sell ammo if you were buying a rifle or renting a lane.
    Sold by the 50rd box, MAX OF 200rds.

OH would sell you as much ammo as you wanted, BUT, ONLY by the 200rd case.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Were the IH’s mix-masters? Or, real,
    original IH’s? Would like to have a June-July
    ‘53 IH to fill a hole in the stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members