• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Received from my order earlier this month (27 days order to receipt): 1944 Springfield in new CMP wood. Muzzle 0+, throat 2.

Pics once I comply with MDS rules of adding in the toes...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That should be a great shooter. You'll probably have to relieve some wood, though. Usually the op rod drags a bit. Is the wood completely raw, like on the new stock I got on my HRA a couple weeks ago?

Don't bother with the feet in the photo. That's just nonsense.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Here she is...

• Trigger group marked D28290-12-SA
    • Barrel marked SA F6535448 2 55 A217B
    Only did a field strip (been a long time since I have broken one down). Trigger group lockup and safety are incredibly tight (had to use rubber mallet persuasion to get the trigger guard closed).

Wood has a CMP cartouche on the left side. Have not looked closely to see if the op rod was dragging.

Attachments

• Cased.jpg
      Cased.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 284

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That is a beautiful rifle. It looks new. Your D28290-12-SA trigger housing is correct for you January '44 serial number. Your barrel is dated February 1955. Springfield made a LOT of barrels that year, it seems. My 1/44 Springfield also has a 1955 barrel.

The wood is walnut, just like the one I got two weeks ago.

I finish mine with Pure Tung Oil, which is NOT the "tung oil finish" sold in many stores. There are lots of threads on it: do a search.

Just rub the oil on, it's very easy.

Tung Oil and Linseed Oil
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147045

My op rod is dragging pretty badly: I'm going to do some rasping. There are a few other spots on these stocks that can benefit from some sanding and fitting, too.

DO NOT remove any wood to ease the lockup. Tight lockup is good. It is normal to have to WHACK the trigger guard with a mallet on a new stock.

Here is the stock fitting thread:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=41117&highlight=boyds

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Very nice rifle, I thought you don't need to include that purchase iF it's directly from the CMP in your logbook

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ANY C&R eligible firearm which enters or leaves your possession while your license is valid is supposed to be noted in your logbook. Whether or not you "used" your license in the acquisition is irrelevant.

So if you find an old Winchester leaning against a tree way out in the woods, you should log it in. If you sell Grampaw's old blunderbuss that's been in the attic for 95 years, you first log it in, then log it back out.

It makes the bureaucrats happy.

Meanwhile...

We're all waiting for a range report.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Seeing another CMP beauty has been adopted and a bound book has beginning activity warms my heart.

Outstanding!
    :thumbsup:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    OK - gotta find some time to do some edumacation (learn about "tilt test" and stock fitting). Also need some time to start looking at the rifle to see if the op rod is rubbing, and then time to apply a finish to the stock (guess I should break it down completely for that one, after I find some tung oil).

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    ANY C&R eligible firearm which enters or leaves your possession while your license is valid is supposed to be noted in your logbook. Whether or not you "used" your license in the acquisition is irrelevant.

So if you find an old Winchester leaning against a tree way out in the woods, you should log it in. If you sell Grampaw's old blunderbuss that's been in the attic for 95 years, you first log it in, then log it back out.

It makes the bureaucrats happy.

Meanwhile...

We're all waiting for a range report.

I called the ATF maryland office they told me contrary. They said only log firearms that are C and R eligible which you purchased using your license. Firearms either acquired through the CMP or FTF Maryland transfers do not require your C and R therefore do not need to be recorded. I have to find the email they sent me I have it saved. But if there'S any issue with someone from the ATF, I saved ththat email for the same reason.

I guess you "could" log it if you wanted to, but why give more than what's required by the law.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That goes against everything everyone has said since the beginning of time.

Perhaps it was a burglar at the ATF office who answered the phone.

Or perhaps a former IRS agent who transferred to the ATF. Those people are notorious for giving incorrect answers to tax questions.

I don't discount what you say, and I find it an interesting anomaly; however I remain skeptical.

I called the ATF maryland office they told me contrary. They said only log firearms that are C and R eligible which you purchased using your license. Firearms either acquired through the CMP or FTF Maryland transfers do not require your C and R therefore do not need to be recorded. I have to find the email they sent me I have it saved. But if there'S any issue with someone from the ATF, I saved ththat email for the same reason.

I guess you "could" log it if you wanted to, but why give more than what's required by the law.

I log everything. I CMA at all times. Besides, it doesn't take that much time or energy.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I received one recently in new wood also. Have to whack it with a rubber mallet also.

Everything functions perfectly and it shoots great, I'm not removing any wood from mine!

I used some BLO on mine...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I tried mine out, and it shot great, in spite of the op rod dragging very badly. I mean, it drags. Gotta do some rasping.

BLO is good stuff. I've used it on some other rifles, but now I have a lifetime supply of Pure Tung Oil.

Jul 1, 2012

"§ 478.125 Record of receipt and disposition (f) Firearms receipt and disposition by licensed collectors. Each licensed collector shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms curios or relics"

It doesn't exclude C&R firearms NOT obtained with your license...

see also
    http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2001/01/011801-openletter-ffl-collectors-curio-relics.html
    "Required ... Must enter into the A/D record all curios and relics acquired after receipt of the collector’s license"

I think the person you talked to at ATF gave you bad gouge on this one.

That goes against everything everyone has said since the beginning of time.

Perhaps it was a burglar at the ATF office who answered the phone.

Or perhaps a former IRS agent who transferred to the ATF. Those people are notorious for giving incorrect answers to tax questions.

I don't discount what you say, and I find it an interesting anomaly; however I remain skeptical.

me too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom