• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • britishjohnhall

I'm going to the Howard Co. Silverado gun show this weekend. Any advice for my first gun show? What to avoid; What to seek out. Anything I should be taking advantage of at a gun show vs a regular store?

Another newbee question about the Mdshooter forum...

What does "(No WC)" mean next to the new post tab?

GB_user

Jan 22, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Welcome to the forum!

Advice for the gun show? Bring lotsa cash! There will be all kind of stuff, ammo, guns, knives, militaria, books, gun cleaning supplies, beef jerky, etc.

I usually go later in the day, after the morning rush.

No WC stands for no Water Cooler posts. That's a wonderful section I used to enjoy before they put the 50 post count minimum in place. Its the off topic forum. One day I will return!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yeah call me at 443-605-884six. I'll be wearing a CC for 2A shirt. Take cash and DON'T buy the first thing you see. I've made that mistake many times to see the same d@mn thing two tables over a hundred bucks cheaper.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Beware the impulse buy. Use it as a chance to hold more firearms than you can at any gun shop. Again beware the impulse buy, if you know nothing,about it don't buy until you do.

Also if you know what you are looking for and see it,at,a great price. Buy it. It will not be there on your second round.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Go dressed like a mall ninja, get all twitchy, and mumble to yourself. Oh, and absolutely do not take a shower or wear deodorant.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    HoCo gun show has really come up in the past couple of years.
    It may be hit or miss but support your local gun show...or they'll go away.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Advice....stay home and head to the next PA show.

Shop local IP's here for what you need firearm wise.

I might head over just to walk around and make myself feel good about the price's I've paid for my last few firearms from an IP here.

Oh....stop by Shooters Discounts if here's there.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If you can.. Know what you are looking for and how much is the going rate. Be willing to spend 30 over that if you find what you are looking for and it's nice. Do not buy something you do not know about cause its cool, good looking etc!. If you don't have knowledge of it chances are you will get screwed. On a older weapon it could be.. It don't work, parts are missing that you don't notice right away or wrong parts are on it making it less collectable. Or you just over pay. If you see someone wearing a CC for 2a shirt and he asks you to meet him in the dark corner. It's a trap..He thinks your sexy. Far as money goes, take as much as you can or have your credit card with you, but remember cash is king at a gun show. Good luck !

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Advice....stay home and head to the next PA show.

Shop local IP's here for what you need firearm wise.

I might head over just to walk around and make myself feel good about the price's I've paid for my last few firearms from an IP here.

Oh....stop by Shooters Discounts if here's there.

Shooters Discount will be there and as general rule of thumb, if you see it at Shooters Discount and like it, buy it; as chances are excellent you'll not find it cheaper there.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I'm going to the Howard Co. Silverado gun show this weekend. Any advice for my first gun show? What to avoid; What to seek out. Anything I should be taking advantage of at a gun show vs a regular store?

Another newbee question about the Mdshooter forum...

What does "(No WC)" mean next to the new post tab?

Unfortunately, you're going to your first show at a bad time thanks to the douchebags in Annapolis and the a55hole in the White House. That aside, know what you are looking for and know what the non-show prices would be.
    Stick to making purchases from known or reputable dealers such as this forum's IP's. Unless you're interested, just walk by the jerky stands and the
    90+ year old men selling their pocket knife collections.

Oh, and "No WC" means no water cooler.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    One more voice against impulse buys! Put your cash in a sealed envelope. Having to rip the envelope open may slow you down enough to make you think about the purchase.

Know what you want and what it is worth. You may find some good deals but you will also see some insane prices.

Be sure to stop by the MSI booth!

WC = Water Cooler = restricted access until you have 50 posts.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Save the $10 admission (yes, not a typo) and go to the Chantilly show the following weekend which is $12. Or, go to both and you'll see my point.

I had planned to go Sunday to both the gun show and hamfest, but decided to just do the hamfest and wait until the following weekend for Chantilly.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Shooters Discount will be there and as general rule of thumb, if you see it at Shooters Discount and like it, buy it; as chances are excellent you'll not find it cheaper there.
    I've literally been all over the state of Maryland and can attest to this statement firsthand. This is the place to shop for quality and price in Maryland. I've purchased there, and I've recommended this shop to countless friends and family members, who have also purchased firearms there. I have no financial interest in Shooter's Discount.

When looking at firearms, be gentle with them. Aggressively racking the slide on a pistol that you haven't purchased will be frowned upon.

Save the $10 admission (yes, not a typo) and go to the Chantilly show the following weekend which is $12. Or, go to both and you'll see my point.

I had planned to go Sunday to both the gun show and hamfest, but decided to just do the hamfest and wait until the following weekend for Chantilly.

+1 on Chantilly. I'd never, ever buy anything from that guy Lou at Shooter's Discount - no telling what he might ask in return for those low, low prices. ;) No, seriously, HoCo's come up in the world, I think, and the last couple I've been too were definitely better than Timonium. Lou's always worth checking out, and unless he's sold everything since I was at his place Saturday, has some nice deals on ARs. Don't expect big bargains at Chantilly, but it's huge, and you'll see stuff there you won't see most other places. Despite my pre-Oct 1 EBR push, I'm feelin' the need to shop for another old Smith revolver, and there's always plenty at Chantilly. Plus first-class grub at the adjacent Willard's Barbecue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom