My facebook converstion with a liberal common friend.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justjcarr

Nov 19, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I've been pushing for this for about a month now.

I've NEVER heard of a pool saving a life. We have air conditioning now. They don't have a purpose in today's society. And you don't even have to get training or a permit before getting one!!!!

I'm totally using this argument. Thank you!

-J

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I am very libertarian in view on most topics. This means that on some topics I sound a lot like a liberal, and on some topics I sound a lot like a conservative.

Due to some trick of fate, my choice of topics that I've spoken out about on Facebook have made me sound far more like a liberal than I really am.

Then I light up my page with anti-gun-control rants and everybody I know thinks I've suddenly been abducted by pod people. It's made for some confused, and interesting, discussions.

I'm like a pro-gun ninja. :ninja:

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    It's not really that much more regulated than a suppressor or a short barreled rifle. They're expensive.

Here's a fun fact: in the nearly 80 year history of the NFA, only two registered machine guns were ever used in a homicide. One of those homicides was perpetrated by a cop.

As usual you are correct Jawn,and one defensive use by an Hk employee, and no I have'nt put you in my will yet. Lol

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    I've had similar conversations. Mostly about registration and Muskets. I try to explain the 2A defines a right while driving is a privilege. Also, they like to go to "the founding fathers had no idea about modern weapons. Then you need to counter "Well they had no idea about email, internet, texting...., but that is all protected by 1A!!!"

Crazy times we live in.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Explain to him that the VA Tech shooter used 2 pistols, one with 10 rounds, the other with 15. Neither were "assault weapons".

The 40% of gun sales with no background check has been proven false. That # came from a telephone survey of about 275-300 people, 25-30 years ago... It included people who gave weapons to their children and relatives. It's crap statistics...

Jamie

ten75ice

Career Fire Fighter
    Mar 12, 2011
    Falling Waters, WV
    This is when you find out who your real friends should be. Aquaintence? Maybe, but when the shit hits the fan, I know who I want with me, shoulder to shoulder.

Walker

Nov 16, 2012
    Somerset County
    I deleted my facebook because of uninformed people like that. Most have made up there minds because of the lies news media tells and i look like a crazy person because of my love affair with firearms. It ws better to delete it than be pissed off because of closed minded individuals. Bravo to you for setting the record straight.

gazingwa

Van Down By The River
    Jan 24, 2013
    Sussex County, DE
    Lol yeah, I have been unfriended and blocked over this, no skin off my back. I wasn't rude, I having a civil conversation, if he can't take an opposing opinion like a man don't need him arround.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I like the part how he think Bush allowed the 1994 ban to expire. Like as if it's the Republicans fought. Maybe I read that wrong, but I'm sure he and others probably think that way.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    Our children are the number one priority in our society but the politicians should remember that these same children need their fathers and mothers to have the resources to protect them at home. It also should be evident that an adult would like to keep the ability to defend themselves against criminal assault without telling us what we "need" to do. The 2nd amendment didn't mention anything about the type of weapons, magazine capacity, or looks.

And as someone said previously; the law enforcement personnel are reactionary. They respond to criminal activity after notification of a crime in progress. They do not have the ability to "protect" anyone. Usually they arrive after the criminal has accomplished whatever their intent was.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    I got into one of these after Wednesdays rally. A friend of my wife's wanted to come and show her support. She posted a picture form the top of the stairs when she went to use the bathroom. With a statement "It feels good to stand up for our rights". This a picture of the crowed started a shit storm on her Facebook page. It was manly one person an anti just regurgitation BS. So I got on and tried to be nice and sit her strait. After going back and forth for like 10 post and her ending with well my husband has some guns and he has been hunting and he said they are not going to try and touch his guns and he knows more then you. I said well tell your husband unless he hunts with bb guns his guns will be effected and for my knowledge. I belong to a site called MdShooters, MSI, I have been collecting guns for the better part of 15 years I have FFL I have been shooting scene I was 5 and I hangout in the gun community the one fighting for your husbands rights even if he thinks he does not have to. She stopped talking to me after that.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a real issue with misinformation that gets perpetuated online anyway, and will point out fallacies to my FB friends when they show up. Some of my hard right wing friends think I'm going looney when I've actually defended Obama on some of the real tripe that gets posted about him. Make no mistake, I am NOT a supporter of our dear president, but there are plenty of other reasons to dislike the man without fabricating and perpetuating real lies. That makes us just as bad as them with their fabrications.

In any case, when it comes to guns, I can't sit idly by and read that level of ignorance and misinformation, so I've gone toe to toe multiple times. Only once since Sandyhook have I come across an anti who actually knew what he was talking about, and ultimately we agreed that mental health rather than guns was the bigger problem.

As for losing FB friends, I don't worry too much about it. If all it takes is a disagreement on what I believe should be untouchable constitutional rights, then obviously they don't know me very well and weren't really my "friend" anyway.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    HIM An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between automatic, SEMI-AUTOMATIC, and burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

ME Glad we agree, select, burst and auto fire has been illegal for almost 30 years. Please look it up.

So Wrong....Not illegal just heavily regulated and taxed.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Some of my hard right wing friends think I'm going looney when I've actually defended Obama on some of the real tripe that gets posted about him. Make no mistake, I am NOT a supporter of our dear president, but there are plenty of other reasons to dislike the man without fabricating and perpetuating real lies. That makes us just as bad as them with their fabrications.

Bingo. When conservatives make stuff up to hate about Obama, they're no better than liberals making stuff up to hate about about guns. Focus on the facts, there are plenty of factual things to dislike about our president.

Sadly, liberals don't have that liberty on this topic. Pun intended....

AwesomeBill

Awesome Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Westminster
    I have a real issue with misinformation that gets perpetuated online anyway, and will point out fallacies to my FB friends when they show up. Some of my hard right wing friends think I'm going looney when I've actually defended Obama on some of the real tripe that gets posted about him. Make no mistake, I am NOT a supporter of our dear president, but there are plenty of other reasons to dislike the man without fabricating and perpetuating real lies. That makes us just as bad as them with their fabrications.

In any case, when it comes to guns, I can't sit idly by and read that level of ignorance and misinformation, so I've gone toe to toe multiple times. Only once since Sandyhook have I come across an anti who actually knew what he was talking about, and ultimately we agreed that mental health rather than guns was the bigger problem.

As for losing FB friends, I don't worry too much about it. If all it takes is a disagreement on what I believe should be untouchable constitutional rights, then obviously they don't know me very well and weren't really my "friend" anyway.

Yes, Yes, 1000 times Yes!

redoktober

I am very libertarian in view on most topics. This means that on some topics I sound a lot like a liberal, and on some topics I sound a lot like a conservative.

Due to some trick of fate, my choice of topics that I've spoken out about on Facebook have made me sound far more like a liberal than I really am.

Then I light up my page with anti-gun-control rants and everybody I know thinks I've suddenly been abducted by pod people. It's made for some confused, and interesting, discussions.

I'm like a pro-gun ninja. :ninja:

Me too - that's how it plays out for me. I'm sure some of my friends think I've gone over to the right-wing of the GOP.

redoktober

The problem with Facebook is that it's social media, so it's a bit like being at a party where someone tells a joke about Republicans. So long as everyone in the room is a Democrat it comes across as funny and appropriate. However, if there are any Republicans in the room then it it just gets awkward....pregnant pause...uncomfortable silence.

Javantalith

Jan 18, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Got into a similar argument with a friend that should know better (he works for the state department guarding foreign diplomats). He de-friended me on Facebook. In his defense about 5 of my relatives dog piled on him.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I've been using FB to brush up on my debate skills for testimony on the 1st and 5th in case I get questioned after my 3 minutes expressing my opposition. There are plenty of numbskulls out there but some do require me to think twice before I retort.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom