210 KB · Views: 514
    • 20220611_0919261.jpg
      20220611_0919261.jpg
      140.5 KB · Views: 516

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    It is a spencer. Depending on internal parts condition, it may be a wall hanger. My uncle had a couple in working order. Ammo for the actual originals is super hard to get (rimfire) but there are repros that are chambered for centerfire.

Since your buddy isn't a major collector, he may or may not care. If he's not into the history of it, hang it on the wall or sell it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    General Custer is jealous.

Tell him the less he does to it, the better. He's better off not even trying to clean it up unless he knows what he's doing.

He could probably get $200 for it at a Buy Back. That is a Military Grade Assault Rifle.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Early self contained cartridge stuff was mostly rimfire. Low pressure, so the stronger case head wasn't needed. These were popular with some union units, especially cavalry, when they could get them. More ruggedly constructed than the first henrys. Downside was that the spencer was a bit more annoying to load (loading tube through stock) and had a slightly lower capacity.

ETA: your friend appears to have a cavalry carbine at first glance. Most likely a 56-56 spencer round.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Early self contained cartridge stuff was mostly rimfire. Low pressure, so the stronger case head wasn't needed. These were popular with some union units, especially cavalry, when they could get them. More ruggedly constructed than the first henrys. Downside was that the spencer was a bit more annoying to load (loading tube through stock) and had a slightly lower capacity.

ETA: your friend appears to have a cavalry carbine at first glance. Most likely a 56-56 spencer round.

By the end of the war, much of the Union cavalry was equipped with Spencers, and they continued to be so equipped for another 10 years. At Little Bighorn in 1876, 11 years after the war, the 7th Cavalry had only recently had their 7 shot Spencers replaced with single shot Trapdoors. Some have suggested that Custer had come to take for granted the Spencer's firepower, but I doubt that had much to do with his ill-fated decision to attack at the Greasy Grass on that day.

See if your buddy can identify the model he has:

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Cool stuff.

Makes me wonder about my brother/sister in laws house. It was built in the mid 40's by my moms side of the family and god knows how much stuff is hidden in the attic insulation or inside a wall. I installed a ceiling fan a couple weeks ago and digging through the insulation, no cool stuff like guns/knives but all sorts of random things I was finding. Would not surprise me if there was an old rifle hiding up there.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Step 1, I'd do a little research and get some education on it now that you know what it is. Start with Wikipedia and look at the ones for sale on Guns International.
    Then decide if you want to hang it on the wall, shoot it, love it or leave it.

Then Plan A, I'd take it to the antique arms show next March in Timonium, get more education and maybe sell it, take the cash and buy a high quality new repro like a Cimaron that shoots modern ammo. Then you can hang it, love it, shoot it.
    Plan B, take the money and buy another gun...ALWAYS buy another gun.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Wall hanger and a cool conversation piece for sure!

He can start it off with “I found this original Civil War AR and I’m sure it waxed a bunch of Red Coats over in Nam”. “ found it next to some bones and a bottle of Tanqueray in the attic”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom