• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    So I decided to do some further research into my Mosin. At the outset I knew that it's Hungarian and even IF the numbers all matched, the M44 type makes it not worth much....my numbers don't match. 7.62x54r.net puts the rarity at "1" out of 10.

However I DID learn a few things. Mine seems to be a bit of a Frankengun, whether it was cobbled together later or not is unclear. The numbers on the buttplate and receiver match, however the magazine floorplate and bolt do not.

Stock: Marked with the circled B next to the number 02, meaning it was made in the Budapest armory of Hungary. The stock was severely damaged and repaired well (structurally), but you can still see where it was repaired both under the receiver (used as a club, perhaps?) and the lower handguard. I am missing the Rear Barrel Band Spring and Cleaning Rod. Interestingly, though, BOTH barrel bands are marked with the "I" in a triangle, suggesting they came from the Russian Izhevsk arsenal.

Receiver/barrel: Typical Hungarian "low wall" machined round receiver. Again, markings here confirm Budapest arsenal, but as with the butt-plate, the arsenal is written as BF instead of the circled B on the stock. Not sure what that refers to aside from arsenal. This receiver is identical to the ones made in Izhevsk arsenal in 1941 for the transitional 91/30. The barrel has NOT been counterbored but is also not in great shape...accuracy at 100yds is dismal even with the 147gr Polish light ball (ammo thread coming later). The front sight housing is noticeably bent and has some markings on the rear of it that I cannot make out, clearly there is an "02" mark but there is a circled character that I can't read. Almost looks like an N but I'm not sure.

In any case, my M44 is INCREDIBLY reliable; the bolt is a bit sticky but goes bang every single time no matter how much I shoot her (100+ in an afternoon). I've had to put her down for a while because she was too hot to touch but she still went bang... Accuracy is, as I said, dismal, but is more or less MOM at 100yds. "Kentucky windage" is a MUST.

So there you have it. My take was that this gun was heavily repaired at some point, probably since manufacturing. My thinking is that the stock repairs were done in later decades but that this IS the original stock. Parts were missing or damaged and were replaced with what was at hand (barrel bands, bolt, magazine floor plate etc), though not completely, so perhaps they were done here as opposed to Europe. Maybe both, who knows.

All information in this thread came directly from my gun in particular, or from http://7.62x54r.net in general.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Regardless of origin, the M44 is one of the most fun guns to use. One thing I will tell you from firing mine is that they were meant to fire with the bayonet extended, but when you do eventually the flame shooting from the barrel will roast the finish off the bayonet, but that's a very minor issue. I am still not enough of a hardcore collector to pay 2-3 times for the unusual variants when the Russian ones are relatively cheap and made with the same tooling.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    He promised he wouldn't do that anymore.
    Notheless, the M44 is a fun rifle to shoot. Mine's a '46 izhevsk arsenal. Not worth a lot of bucks, but a good reliable "mosin goes boom" rifle to shoot. They are fun.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I have a '43 Izhevsk that I still haven't shot yet...:o

Sounds like an interesting rifle you've got there. Even if an old rifle isn't numbers-matching or in perfect shape, you've gotta admire the history it's been through. If only these ol' rifles could talk...

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    An interesting rifle, true....but accuracy? I think I'd have better accuracy shooting my 12ga with 00 Buck at 100yds.... seriously.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Depending on the amount of wear these can be very accurate, my 1948 (with bayonet extended) is one of the most accurate rifles I have shot.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    I am far from small but if I even shoot 20 rounds out of it my shoulder still stays sore for a couple of days. That said I have a M38 which is much lighter than the M44 and that sucker really kicks.

DennisCA

Yup!

19197d1235967483-i-got-my-first-mosin-nagant-91-30-gunny.jpg

:lol:

BTW - Here's my 1953 (polish) M44

polishm44overview.jpg

It does kick but nothing like my Steyr M95!

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Just for the record, some of those "rarity" ratings are rather off, no Polish, Romanian or Hungarian M44 should rate as a one IMO, mismatched or not. That said the Hungarian PU snipers are pretty darn rare and the simple 91/30s even rarer. Lots of the snipers are bringbacks from Vietnam.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    Just for the record, some of those "rarity" ratings are rather off, no Polish, Romanian or Hungarian M44 should rate as a one IMO, mismatched or not. That said the Hungarian PU snipers are pretty darn rare and the simple 91/30s even rarer. Lots of the snipers are bringbacks from Vietnam.

I didn't understand the 1 ratings on these M44's either, considering the Chinese T53 non-matching is rated a 5...??

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    That is way off, possibly before the boatload of T53s arrived, I have on older T53 that actually came from China rather than Albania, only has a tiny import mark on the bayonet lug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom