• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Sep 16, 2009
    I bought an old rusty Mossberg 500A the other day for $20.00. I thought I would try to bring it back to life on a low dollar budget. It had been involved in a garage fire a few years ago and then suffered water and rust damage from sitting while the former owner waited on his insurance company to do something with his property loss. I soaked it with PB Blaster rust solvent and then took it all apart. The receiver cleaned up fine by hand, I glass beaded everything else. The wooden stock was still good and I was able to find a good used matching forend at a pawn shop for $5.00. The barrel is a rifled slug 24" variety. I cleaned it for 2 hours using 3 brushes. Looks OK now although it has some light pitting in places. I painted the barrel with Krylon for now, might try bluing it in the future. I have it all back together now and it works fine, pumps & cycles good. Safety and trigger work good. Now I need to find a good used trigger guard or trigger assembly to replace the melted one. This one works but looks ugly. I thought about cutting it off and filing it away but that would not be very safe. Anyone know where I can find a cheap used one? I have less than $30 in this project so far and it has been fun. I need to get out to the range and test it out!

Attachments

• moss.jpg
      moss.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 548
    • mossa.jpg
      mossa.jpg
      101.2 KB · Views: 543
    • mossh.jpg
      mossh.jpg
      69.4 KB · Views: 458
    • mosszz.jpg
      mosszz.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 457
    • mosszf.jpg
      mosszf.jpg
      100.9 KB · Views: 467
    • mosszb.jpg
      mosszb.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 537

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Very nice! Not sure about the trigger assembly. But since it was in a fire I would probably attach it to a bench and fire it from behind a brick wall a few times :lol2:

I got two of my rifles the same way. Bought an M1 Carbine for $50 that was rusted to hell, had a cracked stock and no bolt assembly but the rifling was pretty nice. $50+$40 synthetic stock+ $120 bolt assembly= $210 for one of my favorite rifles!

Also got a rusted out Ruger 10/22 for $50. Threw a NCSTAR Scope on it and it shoots pretty tight groups at 50yards with cheapo ammo. If I wasn't working towards a Rem 700 sps tactical and optic right now I would probably just throw a bull barrel and a good stock on the 10/22.

Both took a TON of elbow grease and rust remover.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    naval jelly is supposed to be bad ass for removing/stopping rust...it does remove blueing though...also i change the springs as they could be weakend by the heat of fire...i would be cautious about shooting it as the irregular heating of the fire could cause problems...i know if metal is heated and not quenched it will be softer...but thats about the extent of my knowledge of metal working....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom