• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Wasn't really sure of any other place to put this thread, so I'll leave it here to ask you guys of your opinions.

Recently bought the new Rainier RAC muzzle brake. It is only available through their "revolvr" app on android devices only (dumb, I know) and it arrived today.

Upon opening the pack I was surprised to see that it's stainless and not black like I'd hoped. Oh well, only $55 bucks for something that normally costs over $100.

If need be it will stay stainless, but my question is what kind of coating could this thing use to make it black? Cerakote yes, but I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg for just a brake. Duracoat? How is that with heat? High heat engine enamel spray paint? As I said, it may just stay stainless, but I want options if I change my mind. For reference it's going on this all black rifle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392782237.536603.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392782311.952523.jpg

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I'm going to solve your problem for you:

Stay away from Duracoat. It does work, and looks nice, but it does not wear very well. Tends to chip with normal everyday use. It is literally Sherwin Williams Proline house paint, that's all it is.

I would recommend KG GunKote. Either order from them, or from Brownells who they partner with. you can get it in a spray can from Brownells, so don't need to get an air compressor. It's an epoxy based polycoat that incorporates microparticles of molybdenum disulfide. The stuff is INCREDIBLY durable, and provides some lubricity to whatever it coats.

Rough the surface with sand paper, degrease, then apply an even dusting. Allow to dry, then repeat until desired thickness is acheived.

Then bake in the oven to cure for several hours, and you end up with literally one of the best metal finishes you can get.

Ceracoat blows it away by comparison, but frankly it's the only additive product I've ever been able to apply myself that has equaled or exceeded KG gunkote.

The stuff is GREAT

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I'll give em a call. He's done one of my rifles as well, but that's a bit of a drive for me to get a brake coated.
    You can just ship it. When I got my rifle done, any additional small parts I wanted to get done were just $5. It might be a little more if you're just doing the one piece, but if you're doing a common color like black that he does often, I can't imagine it would cost very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom