• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I don't think you are correct here. I've shot brakes from JP, surefire, and SJC and they redirect the flash into your field of view. Shoot any of them at night.

Yep just look at a Battle Comp or SureFire brake as examples. They both have ports on the top that direct gas/flash right into your sight line. Its just really hard to see in the day time.

Picture time! :) Surefire brake on a cloudy day. The first one you can see the gas coming out of the top ports, the second one. . . well. . . flash EVERYWHERE! :D

6c07de51 - Copy by NiftyVT, on Flickr

7e0723cd - Copy by NiftyVT, on Flickr

ALeGatore

Feb 25, 2017
    Yep just look at a Battle Comp or SureFire brake as examples. They both have ports on the top that direct gas/flash right into your sight line. Its just really hard to see in the day time.

Picture time! :) Surefire brake on a cloudy day. The first one you can see the gas coming out of the top ports, the second one. . . well. . . flash EVERYWHERE! :D

6c07de51 - Copy by NiftyVT, on Flickr

7e0723cd - Copy by NiftyVT, on Flickr
    I have a surefire brake and mine does not spit fire like that. I tried it a night and you can barely see me when I fired the shot at 100 yards. Try the combo brake and flash hider works great on mine. The folks at the "Outdoor" range I go to also do not mind. Not sure who shoots ARs in "Indoor" ranges? Why even get an AR then. Yes the Surefire looks good and also serves as a mounting point for my suppressor. In addition I believe nobody has any right to tell someone what to do. This is why we are in the US. Only anti-gun people do that. Double up on your hearing and don't go to "Indoor" ranges to shoot your AR unless you have a suppressor.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I picked up a strike industries j-comp after reading the muzzle break shootout results. I gotta say that it does pretty great at reducing recoil, but it's not really overly loud compared to an A2. I've become a fan of it.... plus it's dirt friggin cheap compared to other muzzle devices and doesn't really add to flash much.

Attachments

• 20160706_104407.jpg
      20160706_104407.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 318

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I haven't tried one of these but my biggest concern would be keeping these things clean. Do they get really dirty inside?
    If you were shooting a ton of cast lead bullets, they might. With jacketed bullets you will be fine. We've sold linear comps for 6 years or so and have never seen one with excessive build-up. If you were concerned about it after a high round count (tens of thousands of rounds), you could always dip it in cleaning solutions similar to what you would use for a suppressor.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have a surefire brake and mine does not spit fire like that. I tried it a night and you can barely see me when I fired the shot at 100 yards. Try the combo brake and flash hider works great on mine. The folks at the "Outdoor" range I go to also do not mind. Not sure who shoots ARs in "Indoor" ranges? Why even get an AR then. Yes the Surefire looks good and also serves as a mounting point for my suppressor. In addition I believe nobody has any right to tell someone what to do. This is why we are in the US. Only anti-gun people do that. Double up on your hearing and don't go to "Indoor" ranges to shoot your AR unless you have a suppressor.

The AR is a decent home defense firearm. If you don't have easy access to an outdoor range, shooting one at an indoor range is a very good idea. Even if you do have easy access to an outdoor range, if you are going to use an AR for home defense, at least minimal experience firing one indoors, even at a range, is excellent experience one should NOT BYPASS.

With no indoor experience, one might freeze after firing one shot due to unexpected noise and flash and not make a second or third necessary shot.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you were shooting a ton of cast lead bullets, they might. With jacketed bullets you will be fine. We've sold linear comps for 6 years or so and have never seen one with excessive build-up. If you were concerned about it after a high round count (tens of thousands of rounds), you could always dip it in cleaning solutions similar to what you would use for a suppressor.
    Pretty much all of my pistols have linear comps on them and it really makes them more pleasant to shoot, to the shooter and the bystanders or neighbors at the range. I have no issue and I have at least 3 of them from a couple different mfr's (all from JoeBob's too, I'm sure.. lol)

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I was shooting at the range this morning(all suppressed) and the guy next to me was shooting a .308 bolt gun with a brake. The damn thing was trying to knock my glasses off! The warm breeze was kinda comforting though.
    I think we need to start a suppressor-only range... :lol2:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I have one of these on my Saiga 12. The "warm breeze" from shooting 2 3/4" slugs is something. 3" magnums puts that experience on steroids! And what a roar!

I try to get a lane as far from everyone as I can, and warn them about what's coming.

Attachments

• TRX-MONSTER-SGP61-CSS-2.jpg
      TRX-MONSTER-SGP61-CSS-2.jpg
      15.5 KB · Views: 198

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Had a mini Y comp that came with a barrel, was the most sharp painful blast of any comp I have ever heard, plenty of 3 gun comps get close though including the JP. I'm a fan of the 2A Armamanent T3, it is a comp more than a brake, very little flash, very mild blast, relatively small, directs enough gas to prevent muzzle rise and cut recoil quite a bit, most of the gas heads out at an angle away from the shooter from the side and front port shape. Doesn't really sound any louder or flash any more than my YHM Phantom flash hiders, but can definitely feel the reduced muzzle movement and lighter recoil. Linear comps do 0 to actually "compensate" for recoil, haven't found one that felt any different than an A2.

T3-Compensator-Review.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom