• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dillinger287

Feb 18, 2013
    Harford county
    Hello all,

I just purchased a brand new Richmond 1862 .58 cal musket and was wondering if anyone knows of any stores in harford or Baltimore county that have musket caps? Also was just curious if using triple seven powder is just as good for accuracy as FFFG? Thanks!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Accuracy will depend on you and the rifle.

Triple Seven is an excellent and reliable powder.

Try HNP Muzzle Loading in Essex.

And FFG is a better powder for rifles of that caliber.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Go over to the North-South Skirmish Association BB (n-ssa.net, IIRC). They can help.

3f powder will work fine. Try ~45 grains. Avoid substitutes, unless you have no other choice.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    A coupe of weeks ago I was looking for #10 caps so I'm going from memory but Bass Pro had a few tins of musket caps I think. They also carry Goex. They had ffg the last time I went. Buying black powder from Bass Pro is sort of a pain. You take a number, then the counter person has to call a manager type to open the powder magazine. Only then do they know for sure what they have in stock.

Clyde's in Lansdowne has Goex and caps (not sure about Musket caps specifically). Call and ask what they have and you will receive a quick answer. They are cheaper than Bass Pro as well.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Go over to the North-South Skirmish Association BB (n-ssa.net, IIRC). They can help.

3f powder will work fine. Try ~45 grains. Avoid substitutes, unless you have no other choice.

I shoot in the N-SSA and only use 3f Goex BP in all my guns from the 36cal pistols to the 69 cal smooth bore and it works great. Most of the Skirmishers all use 3f BP. And only BP. Black Powder is all that is aloud in the N-SSA. I shoot 44 gr in my 1861 spring.

Not to thread Jack,but I was always under the assumption that 3f was for handguns and 2f was for rifle.? (Though a couple yrs. ago I was out of 2f and used 3f in my Thompson for hunting season) I refuse to use Pyrodex,front stuffers need to throw flames.:D

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    A coupe of weeks ago I was looking for #10 caps so I'm going from memory but Bass Pro had a few tins of musket caps I think. They also carry Goex. They had ffg the last time I went. Buying black powder from Bass Pro is sort of a pain. You take a number, then the counter person has to call a manager type to open the powder magazine. Only then do they know for sure what they have in stock.

Clyde's in Lansdowne has Goex and caps (not sure about Musket caps specifically). Call and ask what they have and you will receive a quick answer. They are cheaper than Bass Pro as well.

I get all my supplies from Bass Pro. During times of high demand I order on line and have it shipped to the store (free). Other times I stock up - everything in stock is on the shelf. All success takes is a little situational awareness and prior planning.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I shoot in the N-SSA and only use 3f Goex BP in all my guns from the 36cal pistols to the 69 cal smooth bore and it works great. Most of the Skirmishers all use 3f BP. And only BP. Black Powder is all that is aloud in the N-SSA. I shoot 44 gr in my 1861 spring.

Epps 1919, I'm also a member at N-SSA. What team do you shoot on? To the OP if you haven't found any caps come to the national shoot in Winchester va. The shoot is the 1st weekend in October, look on their website to make sure. Go on Saturday, they will have everything you will need, and I sure your want list will get a lot bigger. Haha. Also, watching the shooting events is fun, especially the cannons and mortars. If you have never seen a black powder cannon go off, it is impressive.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Epps 1919, I'm also a member at N-SSA. What team do you shoot on? To the OP if you haven't found any caps come to the national shoot in Winchester va. The shoot is the 1st weekend in October, look on their website to make sure. Go on Saturday, they will have everything you will need, and I sure your want list will get a lot bigger. Haha. Also, watching the shooting events is fun, especially the cannons and mortars. If you have never seen a black powder cannon go off, it is impressive.

I'm with the 13th Confed. Infantry Nice to see some N-SSA members here. I was at the Gator this weekend.Was a great and nice Skirmish weekend.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I'm with the 13th Confed. Infantry Nice to see some N-SSA members here. I was at the Gator this weekend.Was a great and nice Skirmish weekend.

I'm with the CSS Alabama. I wasn't at the gator shoot. With work and family I don't shoot nearly as much as I used too, or would like to. A few years ago I would go to almost every shoot they would hold up there. Even if we didn't have a team entered, I would "farm out". Great bunch of people in the organization, lots of knowledge. Our team size has really shrunk over the years with either getting old, or starting families. We are pretty much a 4 times a year team anymore, so said as I love playing the game.

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    I'm with the CSS Alabama. I wasn't at the gator shoot. With work and family I don't shoot nearly as much as I used too, or would like to. A few years ago I would go to almost every shoot they would hold up there. Even if we didn't have a team entered, I would "farm out". Great bunch of people in the organization, lots of knowledge. Our team size has really shrunk over the years with either getting old, or starting families. We are pretty much a 4 times a year team anymore, so said as I love playing the game.

Are you going to the Potomac and the Nationals? I'll be there. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom