• Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    Sticky! Make this easy to find for those of us writing letters this session

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Same here, if you were asking me for permission, I posted it here hoping that some of the organizations and people could use the data I found. Please use anything I have said, and all of the data is publicly available in the FBI database and admissible in court.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    This post was so good, I was spurred to action.

I went here...

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home&poptype=find&popid=

to find my elected officials and voice my opinion.

Here is what I sent them...
    /snip/
    Therefore, based on the FACTS as published by the FBI, any legislation that limits the law-abiding citizen's access to modern sporting rifles would not affect public safety. Any attempt to pass such legislation would be in spite of the facts and would only serve to further a personal political agenda.

I vote and I take my personal freedoms very seriously.

Thank you,

Hacktracker[/INDENT]

I don't think we, as a community, can afford to sit on the sidelines for this one.

One problem with that data is that it doesn't state what type of rifle was used. I would bet that a good percentage of those were rifles that aren't regulated in Maryland. So the actual percentages of deaths by regulated rifle would be much lower.

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    One problem with that data is that it doesn't state what type of rifle was used. I would bet that a good percentage of those were rifles that aren't regulated in Maryland. So the actual percentages of deaths by regulated rifle would be much lower.

Agreed, that is why I have this in there...

In 2011, Maryland total murders were 398 and those by rifles (all, possibly including rifles not designated in potential gun control legislation) were 2 (0.5%).

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    Agreed, that is why I have this in there...

In 2011, Maryland total murders were 398 and those by rifles (all, possibly including rifles not designated in potential gun control legislation) were 2 (0.5%).

I hear your point, but with 2 murders from rifle, it's almost like "who cares, it's 2 vs 300+ from handguns."

Not that we need to ban handguns, but you catch my drift.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Interestingly enough, though hard to gather the data. It looks like there are more murders commited in Maryland by illegal aliens than murders commited with rifles. You have to search the news for murder articles for Maryland and illegal aliens or illegal immigrants.

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    Here is my first response from Del. Frank Turner (I bolded the most alarming section)...

Thank you for contacting me concerning possible legislation to help control the proliferation of gun violence.

As you may be aware, I have supported a ban on the sales of assault weapons and large capacity magazines and for instant background checks on all gun sales and for a ban on carrying concealed weapons.

There will be many bills in January to address the problems stated above. The real challenge is how to collect the thousands of assault weapons already in circulation and the need to add more state and federal funding to mental health issues.

I appreciate hearing your comments and concerns surrounding these many difficult issues that need to be addressed.

Best wishes,

Frank
    Delegate Frank S. Turner
    House Ways and Means Committee
    Chairman, Finance Resources Subcommittee
    District 13 – Howard County
    Room 206, HOB
    410-841-3246/301-858-3246
    Fax: 410-841-3986
    E-mail: frank.turner@house.state.md.us
    http://mlis.state.md.us/

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Just thought I would put the MD murder numbers through excel and graph them to show how crazy the libs really are when it comes to the "facts." Total craziness.

I stole this to tweet it. Hope you don't mind! Thanks for putting that together. If that isn't illustrative I don't know what is!

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Yeah - I meant without the total, total firearms, and handgun columns. Here's what I posted:

2011 Deaths in MD by rifle - 2
    2011 Deaths in MD by hands, fist, feet - 17
    2011 Deaths in MD by knives -75
    2011 Deaths nationwide by rifle - 323
    2011 Deaths nationwide by hands, fist, feet - 728
    2011 Deaths nationwide by knives - 1694

Therefore the obvious solution is to ban knives of all sorts and find a way to get rid of those pesky hands and feet. Disclaimer - handguns cause by far the most murders in MD and nationwide, but while the country is obsessed with these evil black rifles, I thought a statistic might help provide some clarity.

Source: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-20

So in MD you are 8.5x more likely to be beaten to death by hands, fists, and feet than murdered by ANY rifle, and that number is 2.25x more likely nation wide.

mtb

May 24, 2011
    Here is my first response from Del. Frank Turner (I bolded the most alarming section)...

Thank you for contacting me concerning possible legislation to help control the proliferation of gun violence.

As you may be aware, I have supported a ban on the sales of assault weapons and large capacity magazines and for instant background checks on all gun sales and for a ban on carrying concealed weapons.

There will be many bills in January to address the problems stated above. The real challenge is how to collect the thousands of assault weapons already in circulation and the need to add more state and federal funding to mental health issues.

I appreciate hearing your comments and concerns surrounding these many difficult issues that need to be addressed.

Wow, I live in howard county, I am sure I voted against him but now I really feel really good that I did. What the heck is that guy smoking?

Ken​

DOsniper

Mar 4, 2011
    Monkton, MD
    I stole this to tweet it. Hope you don't mind! Thanks for putting that together. If that isn't illustrative I don't know what is!

By all means, I encourage EVERYONE to tweet, FB, whatever, those charts. My goal is to do the same on the federal level and tie in data regarding what % are commited with illegal guns and/or by those with crimminal backgrounds, look for it all after Xmas....gonna track some numbers down in the meantime, it's going to be epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom