• Multiple

Votes: 69 88.5%
    • Mega

Votes: 9 11.5%

• Total voters

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I still have no idea what I want todo or when, but tonights question is would you rather have multiple smaller safes or a mega safe?

This started when I was trying to figure out what would give me the best bang for the buck (considering potentially wasted space), but now I'm wondering one safe for pistols, one for suppressors and SBRs, one for everything else, etc.

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    Whichever you choose, plan to outgrow it lol. There are worse problems to have

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I chose 'multiple' because it makes moving them easier, storage spots easier to allocate (floor doesn't need to be concrete) and harder to get into (multiple entry efforts vs one jackpot). I think it's also more convenient because oft-used guns can be kept in a small, easily accessed safe and you don't have to dig through two dozen guns to retrieve one.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Your belongings expand to fill the volume of space. Plan for more than you think you’ll need.

Start planning for an addition to your home. Plan for it to be steel lined with a vault door and temperature and humidity controlled.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I have 5 safes of different sizes. If I had a do-over, I'd opt for a vault or a strong room, maybe doubled with a panic room.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Simple....dont put all "your eggs in one basket"
    comes to mind, same can be said with guns, ammo, anything, what if you just can't get to that central spot? Or some one else has beat you to that central spot.? Then you have disasters fire, water, mother nature, etc
    So here multiple safes, multiple locations, you can always expand, duplicate firearms are NOT in the same safe / location. All those AR'S don't go in the same safe, M1A's, it may be a pain, and ahhh . Look at me I got all my AR's in one safe, ain't they pretty syndrome. Ammo here, there, everywhere, 50 / fat 50 cans all with good seals, vacuum sealed anmo and call it a day, all in rotation, add new ammo, shoot some old ammo

"What if" instead of "would a, could a, should a, and ya didn't

Just a thought

-Rock

Last edited:

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I chose 'multiple' because it makes moving them easier, storage spots easier to allocate (floor doesn't need to be concrete) and harder to get into (multiple entry efforts vs one jackpot). I think it's also more convenient because oft-used guns can be kept in a small, easily accessed safe and you don't have to dig through two dozen guns to retrieve one.
    This 100%.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I still have no idea what I want todo or when, but tonights question is would you rather have multiple smaller safes or a mega safe?

This started when I was trying to figure out what would give me the best bang for the buck (considering potentially wasted space), but now I'm wondering one safe for pistols, one for suppressors and SBRs, one for everything else, etc.
    If I was never to move again, a gun room with a secure door and cinderblock walls. Doesn't have to be a vault door. Just enough that it'll take someone a few minutes to break in and need tools (or a heck of a battering ram) to do it. A good steel entry door with everything sunk deep.

If they are going to get through that, they are going to get through whatever kind of reinforced whatever I could possibly afford to construct or have constructed in this life.

Even if a vault door would look cool. It would also be conspicuous as hell.

Anyway, that said, I'd go smaller safes. I am on my 2nd move since owning guns starting in my early 30s. I've got another move coming up in probably 1-2 years. And I highly doubt that move will be my last move either. My 25 gun safe (Redhead) is about the limit of what I can move myself, and it really helps to have another decently fit adult to help with moving it. A nice 800# capacity dolly makes moving not too bad, but if it isn't perfectly balanced, it wears you out FAST moving the thing from the weight. It is a bit over 400# with the door off, the door is a bit over 100#.

Even a thinner 14ga with a low fire rating a step up to a 40 gun, let alone a 48 or 60/64 gun safe weighs more AND is bulkier. Get to good fire protection levels and 12 or 10ga, and it is hire safe movers for one of the bigger safes.

IMHO, I care more about snatch and grab, keeping curious kids out, and fire rating than a determined criminal. I can't realistically afford a real safe. Nor the expense of movers for it. And I can't install it in such a way to make it theft "proof" in my current rental. So thick metal, meh. I'd still prefer 12ga over 14ga as you are making it significantly harder with just hand tools to get in to it. And heavy enough to make it a real PITA to try to move to steal the whole thing. Especially as one guy.

Anyway, that said, I am not sure I'll ever go one big safe. I do need another one. I am on the fence between another 25 gun, or go even smaller like a 12-16 gun, but step up to maybe a 10ga safe with a really good fire rating to keep my more valuable guns in it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ammo in a safe is not wise.

Think pressure cooker in a fire.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    If you want it securer than sitting on a shelf, locking steel cabinets. Crappy ones will keep kids out and maybe a crack head for a minute or three. Really good ones might up that crack head proofness to several minutes.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    If you want it securer than sitting on a shelf, locking steel cabinets. Crappy ones will keep kids out and maybe a crack head for a minute or three. Really good ones might up that crack head proofness to several minutes.

Blazer

Oct 29, 2020
    When the foundation was poured for our new house it included an area under the front porch. Our builder does this for all the houses he builds. I had him put studs and plywood walls up, nothing fancy. I put up my existing gun racks and and an UpHolddisplay wall on one side. The room is surrounded by concrete including the ceiling. It also has an air duct for A/C. There is also a vault door installed that is made by Hornady. Although I like to look at my guns, given today's environment, it is better that they are secured. Sure the vault door is a give away, but your average smash and grab thief can't get in it.

Last edited:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Multiple - One US Milsurp, One foreign Milsurp, One US antiques and modern guns.
    Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 5.11.40 PM.png

Usually have one antique / Milsurp out. Rotate them every couple weeks.

The past couple weeks it's been a 1922 Springfield 1903. I think next up is a Russian SVT-40 or an Arisaka.
    Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 8.18.32 AM.png

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Ammo in a safe is not wise.

Think pressure cooker in a fire.

Disagree with the pressure cooker, as no safes are really air tight and in 99% of circumstances the rounds wouldn't all cook off at once.

That said, I do feel that ammo in a safe is not completely necessary. Perfect world, sure it's secured in a hard to get to space, but ammo by itself is basically harmless. As someone who has outgrown their fairly decent sized safe, I need to consider other options for ammo storage.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My first choice is multiple. Especially if you aren't in your "forever home". I wouldn't go with any safe under 500 lbs. They will be movable for you, should decide to move, yet difficult to steel in case of a robbery.

If you are living in a "forever home", consider a strong room/safe room. If that doesn't fall within your budget, I would go with a mega safe(or two). The larger safes are often better/stronger than their smaller cousins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom