• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rimfire

May 20, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Before i send this off is there any other information anyone would like (as if they will answer it... but it doesnt hurt to try!).

This is a request under Maryland’s Public Information Act (“PIA”), Title 10, Subtitle 6, Part III of the
    State Government Article (“SG”), which grants the public a broad right of access to
    records that are in the possession of State and local government agencies.

This request is for information pertaining to the Maryland State Police Licensing Division practices and procedures with regards to background checks for regulated firearms purchase. The following information is being requested pursuant to SG §§10-611
    :

1. For the bulk of severely delayed applications applicants are being told their paperwork has been put into the “Further Review” category. Please define the criteria which causes an application to be sent to “Further Review”.
    2. The delays have repeatedly, in the media, been blamed on the need to check “17 different databases”. Please identify these databases.
    3. Please provide (no personal information is requested or required) the amount of manpower (taxpayer funded work hours) being applied to processing applications. Please identify the hours utilized for processing of regular applications and those for “Further Review”. Please provide these figures on a weekly basis for all weeks beginning 1 April 2013 through the date this request is fulfilled.
    4. For the same time period requested in 3 above please provide the number of completed applications both regular and “further review” for the same weeks.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Before i send this off is there any other information anyone would like (as if they will answer it... but it doesnt hurt to try!).

This is a request under Maryland’s Public Information Act (“PIA”), Title 10, Subtitle 6, Part III of the
    State Government Article (“SG”), which grants the public a broad right of access to

This request is for information pertaining to the Maryland State Police Licensing Division practices and procedures with regards to background checks for regulated firearms purchase. The following information is being requested pursuant to SG §§10-611
    :

1. For the bulk of severely delayed applications applicants are being told their paperwork has been put into the “Further Review” category. Please define the criteria which causes an application to be sent to “Further Review”.
    2. The delays have repeatedly, in the media, been blamed on the need to check “17 different databases”. Please identify these databases.
    3. Please provide (no personal information is requested or required) the amount of manpower (taxpayer funded work hours) being applied to processing applications. Please identify the hours utilized for processing of regular applications and those for “Further Review”. Please provide these figures on a weekly basis for all weeks beginning 1 April 2013 through the date this request is fulfilled.
    4. For the same time period requested in 3 above please provide the number of completed applications both regular and “further review” for the same weeks.

You should also ask for the numbers from last year from the same time period so there is info to compare it too. I know in the same time period last year I did a purchase and was cleared to pick it up on the 8th day.

RollinCoal

May 1, 2013
    Moco md

:

Very nice request. Now when you get a letter back stating that your request has been out in to further review due to lack of man power and funding please allow 10-12weeks for the information that you have requested. Sorry had to say that. But very nice request look forward to seeing there accuall response and what they say

Rimfire

May 20, 2013
    Fred Co.
    You should also ask for the numbers from last year from the same time period so there is info to compare it too. I know in the same time period last year I did a purchase and was cleared to pick it up on the 8th day.

Added. I will probably wait until tomorrow to send it off (no one there today Im sure). so keep the ideas coming.

5. Please provide the same information requested in 3 and 4 for the same time frame in 2012 (man hours expended and applications completed on a weekly basis).

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

:

Posted elsewhere (was about to do the same....):

Enquiring minds want to know:

- how many apps are coming in per day. Data from one year ago to date
    - how many apps are being processed per day. Data from one year ago to date
    - how many apps go to "further review" per day. Data from one year ago to date
    - what the comparative rate of processing is for "further review". Data from one year ago to date
    - what the app process is, what databases are used. Trend analysis on databases being available/down. Data from one year ago to date.
    - criteria used for "further review"
    - how many apps are Disapproved vs Not Disapproved. Data from one year ago to date.
    - delay from disposition to fax/response to FFL. Data from one year ago to date.

Do you think we should consolidate or do separate ones? Fine if you want to use my requested data set. Let me know when you hear something. Thanks!

realgun84

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 23, 2013
    Happy Memorial Day fellas!

Today doesn't count as a review day! Wooooo :party29: We all would like to guess the date we will get our firearms back, but it is almost impossible.

I think faxes dated 3/20 - 3/25 will be 80 days and any fax date after that expect 90 plus and more, but it will get worse and worse every day that goes by. I say it maxes out at 8 months before FFL's say F*** it.

Im on day 70 something... I lost track

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Only 77 days left! May 25th pile.:party29:

On a more serious note, although not having my approval is serious enough to me. Would anybody venture a guess as to how many apps have been received by the MSP in the past 3 months? Hundreds? Thousands?

Last edited:

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Only 77 days left! May 25th pile.:party29:

On a more serious note, although not having my approval is serious enough to me. Would anybody venture a guess as to how many apps have been received by the MSP in the past 3 months? Hundreds? Thousands?

The number of apps?

over9000.jpg

Alexp08

May 16, 2013
    Im pretty sure the ATF has a website where you can see how many applications have been processed per month

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    To Rimfire and ShallNotInfringe:

The following additional information in PIA request may be useful:

1. Please provide the average amount of time (e.g., hours, days, weeks) it takes for an application received on the fax machine or via mail to be logged into the system.

2. Please provide the average amount of time (e.g., hours, days, weeks) it takes for a completely investigated application to be sent back to the fax machine or via mail back to the dealer.

3. Please provide the method in which applications from the same individual purchaser from different purchase dates are logged into the system and processed.

4. Please provide the total number of disapprovals since January 1, 2013.

5. Please provide the total number of “administrative” disapprovals since January 1, 2013.

6. Please provide the total number of non-administrative disapprovals since January 1, 2013.

7. Please provide the average number of days it takes for an application for a handgun to be completely processed.

8. Please provide the average number of days it takes for weapons on the § 5-101(p) Assault weapon list to be completely processed.

9. Please indicate when (e.g., when applications are first received by the MSP) a NICS check is conducted in the processing of applications.

10. Please indicate the average number of days it takes for a regulated firearms application completed at an MSP barracks to be completely processed.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    This is an addition to my earlier post today about the PIA.

Rimfire and ShallNotInfringe:

You should also request any and all correspondence since December 14, 2012, between the Governor, the LT. Governor, the Attorney General, all state attorneys, all political appointees, and all MSP employees pertaining to regulated firearms applications. Correspondence includes all internal emails (regardless if the email acconts are official government email accounts or yahoo accounts and similar non-government email accounts), official memoranda, unofficial memoranda, and handwritten notes taken during meetings. Additionally, the following should be requested: all standard operating procedures for processing regulated firearms applications, and how (method) regulated firearms applications are assigned to personnel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom