• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krb

Apr 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    One of if not the only reason they want your fingerprints is ultimately for "solving crime" should there be a murder or any shooting related crime, they can dust/scan for prints at the crime scene. They could attempt to pull prints from shell casings. Or for example a door the shooter used to exit. Put the prints into AFIS ( which is the fingerprint database) if they have a good print and you are in there , it'll show up right away. Then they know where to start there investigation. Then with just a few more keystrokes on a different database, they can see if you purchased or own the type of regulated firearm the casings came from.

You're right. I could have said it better. In terms of ROI, IMO relinquishing more PII (fingerprints) to the gov yields low ROI. I think legit owners commit a miniscule percentage of crimes where prints could directly id the perp/owner, so the "cost" is not worth the benefit. Hence, the "for show" comment. I feel the same about the spent casing requirement MD (and only MD) levies.

MD has plenty to tie the legit owner to a firearm for regulation and crime solving. And isn't this all about preventing gun violence, prints aren't going to prevent anything.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    You're right. I could have said it better. In terms of ROI, IMO relinquishing more PII (fingerprints) to the gov yields low ROI. I think legit owners commit a miniscule percentage of crimes where prints could directly id the perp/owner, so the "cost" is not worth the benefit. Hence, the "for show" comment. I feel the same about the spent casing requirement MD (and only MD) levies.

MD has plenty to tie the legit owner to a firearm for regulation and crime solving. And isn't this all about preventing gun violence, prints aren't going to prevent anything.

I know my prints are already in the system, due to jobs I have had in the past. But this is just an attempt to get fingerprints they would otherwise not have in to the system. Dollars to donuts the first thing they are going to do with the prints they get, is going to be to run them against all open investigations.

divingraven

Apr 24, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    No I stated above that MSP cannot tell someone that they must wait until the check is complete to finish the transfer. If you read further into the code even if MSP comes back in less than 7 days with a "Proceed" you cannot transfer before the 8th day. But on day 8 you would be 100% legal to transfer, then meet back up again when the paperwork comes back

I'm sure it's listed somewhere here on this thread, but is there a list of FFL's who honor the law and will release a firearm after the 7 day wait?

ten0glock

Feb 6, 2013
    well i called msp they said they would call back to my supprise they called back within an hour at firstt they couldnt find my app but when they called back they found it said it was being reviewed now if im good to go it will be faxed today if not it will be revied by a sworn and my date is 3/2

Morpheus

Apr 18, 2013
    well i called msp they said they would call back to my supprise they called back within an hour at firstt they couldnt find my app but when they called back they found it said it was being reviewed now if im good to go it will be faxed today if not it will be revied by a sworn and my date is 3/2

I'm 3/2 also and got sent to review wTF? I have 2 regulated purchases already you would think they would expedite it due to prior purchases. Review dates are on 2/20 so I probably won't be able to pick up for 2 more weeks. Total time will be close to 90 days..:mad54:

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'm 3/2 also and got sent to review wTF? I have 2 regulated purchases already you would think they would expedite it due to prior purchases. Review dates are on 2/20 so I probably won't be able to pick up for 2 more weeks. Total time will be close to 90 days..:mad54:

I really hope my purchases don't require review.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I feel your pain.

I've purchased in the past and am now in review. The trooper with whom I spoke said I may have been in review before, but maybe it just didn't take any longer than the usual 7 days. No way to know. :sad20:

The only thing different is some guy with a similar name has 2 speeding tickets in the MD case search website since January. But again, the trooper said there was no way to know if that was why the review came about.

WTF indeed.

Last edited:

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Just got off the phone with msp and I am on the reveiw list for a common name. The nice lady told me that they are looking at 2-20 in the common name file and that there aren't that many so should be approved soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom