• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I have heard the same thing from everyone I know that has a current clearance and made a purchase - anywhere not just in MD... No clue why it happens, but it seems to be what is slowing down everyone with a clearance...

My understanding re: the delays for those that possess clearances- is there there is a block on gaining access (in an automated manner) to a cleared persons NICS information. As a result, the "reason for access" needs to be justified and manually provided. Again- it is my understanding this is to "help" protect any potential confidential information of those with a clearance.

Edit- Generally speaking- those in MD with clearances purchasing regulated items were never were exposed to this. This is because the MSP wasn't backed up and a 15 min further investigation (call) could be done in that 7 day window... Now, well, there wouldn't be this thread if there wasn't a problem.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    I have heard the same thing from everyone I know that has a current clearance and made a purchase - anywhere not just in MD... No clue why it happens, but it seems to be what is slowing down everyone with a clearance...

All I can think of (besides how stupid Maryland is) is that everytime you apply for a clearance or have your clearance renewed (usually every 5 years) you go through the whole fingerprint, credit check, medical record check, tax check, everything check, and whatever mysterious databases they are using retains records of each of these inquiries and since MD did not initiate these checks they want to determine the purpose of each one (i.e. was it a criminal investigation or a background check).

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Just called Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring where I bought my pistol on 3/7 and they said they're getting apps back from around 2/12 - 2/14. I'm getting so disgruntled...

Scarab :banghead:

Shedding

Mar 17, 2013
    At least I'm ready to shoot.
    ajabazan.jpg

lauderman

Mar 5, 2013
    LEXINGTON PARK
    Just got the call! Submitted 2/20. 50 days. Can't pick it up till May 3rd since I'm out of the state till then. That just figures. Then get to fax paperwork for other that has been sitting there already. Then the wait begins again.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    All I can think of (besides how stupid Maryland is) is that everytime you apply for a clearance or have your clearance renewed (usually every 5 years) you go through the whole fingerprint, credit check, medical record check, tax check, everything check, and whatever mysterious databases they are using retains records of each of these inquiries and since MD did not initiate these checks they want to determine the purpose of each one (i.e. was it a criminal investigation or a background check).

what clearance do you have that requires fingerprinting for renewals?

Sent from somewhere in the world.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    what clearance do you have that requires fingerprinting for renewals?

Sent from somewhere in the world.

nothing unusual - Department of Justice TS (with investigations back far enough for higher - just don't need access). Every five years I have to get fingerprinted and go through a complete full field BI. The investigation used to have to be done by the bureau, but that changed a few years ago and now we use the same OPM contract investigators.

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    im waiting on a transfer i did at 2A on 3/13. im just pretending i never made a purchase. its been working so far. its given me enough time to find what little 9mm i can before i make a range trip.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    2/18 and still waiting. msp has managed to take the fun out of this purchase. After the first couple of weeks I figured any time now; then a couple of more weeks and it's you have to be kidding....now closing in on eight weeks I wonder if I did make the buy(yes I did) . They say stupid is supposed to hurt and I guess that's what I get for living in the Free State

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom