• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 2, 2013
    Thats the date I bought my first of 4 recently. It was at the Howard show. I bought another one this weekend and asked about their waits. They said they haven't gotten calls from the last gun show, but they were starting to see 18 Feb calls. This was the Gun Rack.

Same here. 2/23 at the Howard Show from Gun Rack. If they are getting Feb 18 calls maybe we will get ours by the end of next week! I wouldn't bet on it though.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    45 days used to be the "it's time to call MSP and ask about the app" time. Is it still the same, or should we wait for day 50 now? 55? 60? This is out of control...

Greyhounder

Mar 19, 2013
    Baltimore
    The day I last purchased, 3/14, it appeared that the wait was averaging 40 days. Now, it's less than a month later, and we have people in the 60-day range. How can this be!? More importantly, how can this be without any explanation from SOMEONE SOMEWHERE, or without any involvement of our delegates, congressmen, etc? I am not sure of the legalities of the wait - it's pretty semantical anyways, by the time you actually get around to filing something, the issue is mooted - but there has to be some explanation, if not accountability, by someone. At this rate, we are going to hit Oct. 1, and there is going to be a 160 day wait or more.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Same here. 2/23 at the Howard Show from Gun Rack. If they are getting Feb 18 calls maybe we will get ours by the end of next week! I wouldn't bet on it though.

Not to rain on your parade, but I bought mine on 2/16 at Ricks Gun and Pawn in Ceciltucky....called today....and they havn't gotten back 2/15's yet. Hopefully by the end of this week Ill see my new rifle.....

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    The day I last purchased, 3/14, it appeared that the wait was averaging 40 days. Now, it's less than a month later, and we have people in the 60-day range. How can this be!? More importantly, how can this be without any explanation from SOMEONE SOMEWHERE, or without any involvement of our delegates, congressmen, etc? I am not sure of the legalities of the wait - it's pretty semantical anyways, by the time you actually get around to filing something, the issue is mooted - but there has to be some explanation, if not accountability, by someone. At this rate, we are going to hit Oct. 1, and there is going to be a 160 day wait or more.

Agreed, I wouldnt be supprised by Oct 1 if the wait period is 160. Everyone knows this ban is coming, which means more people will go buy weapons(which isnt a bad thing), which means a bigger hill of paper work going to MSP.

MDlocal

Jan 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Not to rain on your parade, but I bought mine on 2/16 at Ricks Gun and Pawn in Ceciltucky....called today....and they havn't gotten back 2/15's yet. Hopefully by the end of this week Ill see my new rifle.....
    Yeah, that doesn't seem to make a difference these days. If you go back in this thread, 2/18 has been called and picked up. With fax delays of more than a week, I doubt they are keeping piles of papers very organized.

Greyhounder

Mar 19, 2013
    Baltimore
    45 days used to be the "it's time to call MSP and ask about the app" time. Is it still the same, or should we wait for day 50 now? 55? 60? This is out of control...

I agree that the benchmark for calling should be raised (although I am sure there are people not checking this forum that are calling frequently), I hate the idea of letting up on MSP simply because we don't want to slow down more apps. Catch-22: If we leave them alone, maybe they'll go faster, but if we don't stay on them, maybe they won't feel any pressure.

VGraves

Mar 2, 2013
    Just got off the phone with Bass Pro Arundel Mills and the guy I spoke with said wait times are now up to 9 weeks. I purchased and faxed 2/10 and I'm still waiting.

Gordnfreman

Feb 13, 2013
    Westminster
    Just got the call to pick up....submitted 3/17

Hi Guy's & Gal's,

Just a call from my FFL. I met with him a couple of day's ago to talk about the ATF Publication 5300.4, which is the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide, the sections on page 55 that I have posted in a couple of different threads.

He called his ATF guy, talked to him about the OR part of the NICS 3 day rule. His ATF guy went to the ATF Lawyers for the answer if it is legal to transfer after 3 days without an answer from NICS and/or without a NICS number.

His ATF guy called him a little while ago and my FFL called me as soon as he hung up from the ATF guy.

ATF Lawyers said yes, go ahead and transfer after the 7 day wait, put the NICS number on the 4473 when you get the number. ATF said it is legal and up to my FFL's discretion who he transfers to.

I am going in to pick up 2 pistols and a Colt AR that the paperwork was submitted on 3/17. I am filling out the paperwork on 2 pistols that were delivered yesterday that I will be able to pick up on the 17th. :D

There have been many opinions on what the law says. I kept reading what people and FFL's think and what everyone has heard. I went to the actual written laws, Federal and State, and the actual written law was different than what I was reading on all the posts.

After reading the actual laws, that is when I went to my FFL and pointed it all out to them. They had never really read the actual laws. The same ATF guy told them 3 weeks ago after an audit that they could not transfer without a NICS number. How about that!

Needless to say, my FFL is tickled pink and is going to have a lot of happy customers.

I am not trying to start anything here or am I suggesting that anyone should do anything with THEIR FFL, I am just telling you all what is actually happening with me, my FFL and his ATF guy.

My FFL has given me his ok to post this.

I want to thank Engage, it was their post about the call to the regional NICS office that got me started with all this.

Greyhounder

Mar 19, 2013
    Baltimore
    ATF Lawyers said yes, go ahead and transfer after the 7 day wait, put the NICS number on the 4473 when you get the number. ATF said it is legal and up to my FFL's discretion who he transfers to.

Gah. That's what I get for going for the cheaper price at the box store. Something tells me I won't be able to convince the managers at Bass Pro.....

VGraves

Mar 2, 2013
    Has anyone who is at day 50+ called the MSP and asked about the status of their app yet?

I just did and after being transferred twice I was told very abruptly that I had a bad connection and they hung up. It was odd because they are normally pretty polite. I'll call back in a while.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

They are processing some 300 per day. They are receiving over 400 per day. So every 3 days, they are another day behind or more.

So in 30 days, they are at least 10 more days behind.

And remember, in mid-March, the delays quoted were based on apps returned, which is a 45 day trailing indicator. So they delays were already 15 days or more longer than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom