• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marksman

I've been thinking about something related. I bought an AR on April 28 (19 days ago) and used a credit card. I can put the charge into dispute with my credit card company up to 90 days after the sale. If I get to 85 days and I still don't have my gun, I may ask for a refund, and if I don't get it, I may choose to put the charge into dispute for failing to deliver my product.

It's not the sellers fault. All you are doing is giving ammunition to those who will still do business with us in Maryland, not to. Word get out about a few of those and then no one will be shipping to MD FFLs. :sad20:

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Maryland nics checks from fbi website
    jan 2013 18,392
    feb 2013 16,241
    march 2013 16,873
    april 2013 15,618

edit: these include long guns

I am surprised to see the numbers apparently dropping. I assume these numbers include regulated firearms, (each 77R gets an NICS check to start with, Correct?)

Even so, that works out to be 520- 590 per calendar day, and over 700 per working day.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am surprised to see the numbers apparently dropping. I assume these numbers include regulated firearms, (each 77R gets an NICS check to start with, Correct?)

Even so, that works out to be 520- 590 per calendar day, and over 700 per working day.

As noted, these are ALL FFL sales in MD, not just those under MSP wait. 400 and less per day for MSP.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    wow check this out from the MSP facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MarylandStatePolice?ref=ts&fref=ts

look at the video and see how many LEOs they have there. If they have so much free time that they can do this why are we waiting months for our firearms.

Because the current handgun approval system is set up on antiquated hardware with matching software. Not the same machines they use for internet/social media interaction.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    It just hit me.

I can plant my yellow squash seeds today, watch the plant slowly grow, and harvest and eat my yellow squash before I can pick-up my new XD9 from Bass Pro.

Puts a whole new spin on wait times.

90 day restart?

I just came from the store that holds my paperwork. I have been waiting 10 weeks now. I was told that the paperwork for background check expires in 90 days from the date of purchase (NOT the date the paperwork is sent) I purchased my firearm online and had it shipped to the FFL which took an additional 5 days. So right now I am looking at 79 days.

The store clerk said that if the paperwork is not returned within 90 days it must be resubmitted and I go back to the end of the line. He is still getting paperwork back from February so the chances of mine coming back in the next 11 days might be slim. Does anyone know if this is accurate and do I have any recourse short of hiring a lawyer?

BS is right. Even if their paperwork does take as long as civilians, many FFLs will give them possession of their firearms simply because they are LEOs. I was in BassPro just a few night ago with a BaltoCity LEO who was bragging that he wouldn't have to wait and could take his new firearm home (NOT purchased at Bass Pro) after only 7 days. While I don't think that it's wrong for them to get their guns after the legal waiting period, I think that the state should be forced to hire enough man power to comply with the law...7 days..not 6, not 8 but 7...

I'm calling BS on that one. One of my gun shops has had 2 cops receive their "Not Disapproved" call within 10 days. One shop had a cop bypass 47 other buyers.

Regardless of what "tsunami" wave hit them, the law's the law. There is no relief for the MSP regarding this time frame. If after 7 days, the shop should be able to release the firearm. If the MSP police can't do it, the FFL should be able to use the NICS after the 7th day and release the firearm on the 8th.

Why are we allowing the MSP the benefit of the doubt? Why are we standing for this? If we can't mount a response to the lawless MSP, this state is completely down the crapper. You can forget EVER having the new firearm law ruled unconstitutional.

We are having our CIVIL RIGHTS denied and we're all just sitting in our seats like good little Catholic girls in school.

I for one am tired of this state's government being allowed to do whatever they want, regardless of how many of my rights are being violated.

Dutch just got an earful, well at least a screenful. This has gone way past rediculous.

Madder than Hell,
    Jim Smith

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    BS is right. Even if their paperwork does take as long as civilians, many FFLs will give them possession of their firearms simply because they are LEOs. I was in BassPro just a few night ago with a BaltoCity LEO who was bragging that he wouldn't have to wait and could take his new firearm home (NOT purchased at Bass Pro) after only 7 days. While I don't think that it's wrong for them to get their guns after the legal waiting period, I think that the state should be forced to hire enough man power to comply with the law...7 days..not 6, not 8 but 7...

As I understand it, its not a manpower issue, but computer hardware and software. In the current budget there is $4 million for computer system upgrades for the restrictions taking place in October ... forcing them to act sooner is the problem.

A suit has already been filed ... we shall see what the results are

What expires is the NICS federal approval, MD already wastes our money and time by doing it twice on each application, so its not expired when you are "not disapproved"

The 90 thing you heard is just BS, don't worry

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I just came from the store that holds my paperwork. I have been waiting 10 weeks now. I was told that the paperwork for background check expires in 90 days from the date of purchase (NOT the date the paperwork is sent) I purchased my firearm online and had it shipped to the FFL which took an additional 5 days. So right now I am looking at 79 days.

The store clerk said that if the paperwork is not returned within 90 days it must be resubmitted and I go back to the end of the line. He is still getting paperwork back from February so the chances of mine coming back in the next 11 days might be slim. Does anyone know if this is accurate and do I have any recourse short of hiring a lawyer?

Maybe MOM has found another legal way to prevent us from receiving our rightfully purchased firearms.

Just SLOOOOOOOWW down the machine a little bit more until ALL of us have to reapply after 90 days. That, in and of itself, will clog the cogs even more. We may never see our handguns again.

At what point can a person DEMAND a FULL refund from the gun shop if the person no longer wants to wait for their paperwork to come in?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Maybe MOM has found another legal way to prevent us from receiving our rightfully purchased firearms.

Just SLOOOOOOOWW down the machine a little bit more until ALL of us have to reapply after 90 days. That, in and of itself, will clog the cogs even more. We may never see our handguns again.

At what point can a person DEMAND a FULL refund from the gun shop if the person no longer wants to wait for their paperwork to come in?

The issue with that is who are you hurting? You're not hurting the MSP. The FFL could charge you a 15% restocking fee, then sell the gun to the next guy in line. You're not hurting the dealer nor the next buyer. So the only one I see getting hurt is you. You've now lost your 15% and where are you going to go to buy that same firearm and get it any quicker?

Just my opinion.
    Jim Smith

Omnipotent

Semper Fi
    Jan 10, 2013
    MoCo
    Day 1 today.....be back in 10 weeks and will see what it looks like then....and earlier this year I thought 40 days was bad.....

For the record my boss in VA walked into the store, bought a M&P Shield and walked out 15 minutes later, concealed.....why do we put up with this $hit!

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So based on the trend, we are quickly headed towards 90+ days between purchase and transfer. If I am reading this clause of SB281 correctly:

A DEALER OR ANY OTHER PERSON MAY NOT SELL, RENT, OR TRANSFER A HANDGUN TO A PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE UNLESS THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE PRESENTS TO THE DEALER OR OTHER PERSON A VALID HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE ISSUED TO THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE BY THE SECRETARY UNDER THIS SECTION.

...we are almost at the closing window for purchases of handguns to avoid the need for a HQL for transfer to be completed before 10/1.. :(

Bagpiperer

Mar 23, 2013
    So based on the trend, we are quickly headed towards 90+ days between purchase and transfer. If I am reading this clause of SB281 correctly:

A DEALER OR ANY OTHER PERSON MAY NOT SELL, RENT, OR TRANSFER A HANDGUN TO A PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE UNLESS THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE PRESENTS TO THE DEALER OR OTHER PERSON A VALID HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE ISSUED TO THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE BY THE SECRETARY UNDER THIS SECTION.

...we are almost at the closing window for purchases of handguns to avoid the need for a HQL for transfer to be completed before 10/1.. :(

Would the state be liable for costs incurred because they didn't hew to their statutory obligation to finish the background check in 7 days?

I imagine that issue may be addressed in part in the current MSI lawsuit, but the license hasn't come into effect yet, so no one has standing.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province

It has already been stated several times that any purchases with paperwork submitted prior to 10/1 will be handled under the old system. I would assume this includes any licensing requirement.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    It has already been stated several times that any purchases with paperwork submitted prior to 10/1 will be handled under the old system. I would assume this includes any licensing requirement.

Quoted from another thread...

If you buy it pre-October, I think the MSP is leaning towards requiring the license even if you purchased in September.

The MSP hasn't issued the regulations yet, but based on this quote from a very knowledgeable member, this reads like the transfer part will be in effect after October.

So, in other words, doesn't matter when you file/purchase, if the handgun is transferred after 10/1, you have to have the HQL.

Start subtracting from 10/1, 90+ days, we're talking sometime in June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom