• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Evening of Feb 20. I am assuming you may not be able to start an application during this time period.

Attachments

• msp1.jpg
      msp1.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 543
    • msp2.jpg
      msp2.jpg
      67.4 KB · Views: 551
    • msp3.jpg
      msp3.jpg
      20.4 KB · Views: 542
    • Licensing+Portal+Maintenance+Monday+February+20%2C+2017%2C+LD-FRU-17-001.pdf
      358.3 KB · Views: 215

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Evening of Feb 20. I am assuming you may not be able to start an application during this time period.

Sounds right....(I'm a former IT guy). If they did this right, someone starting an application or creating an account would just get a message to try back later.

Probably rolling out some much changes. For example, let's see if people who should have release dates from Tuesday - Saturday (based on purchases made last week) have an extra day tacked onto their wait period like what happened on MLK Birthday Holiday. This would fix the issue to just not allow release on the Holiday itself (as was the rule per MSP Licensing in the past).

I would imagine, like with any software rollout, there are likely a few issues to be fixed. They are likely using a Federal Holiday that State Employees also observe to fix issues and doing so during a time frame when it is unlikely many would be attempting to access the system.

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Sounds right....(I'm a former IT guy). If they did this right, someone starting an application or creating an account would just get a message to try back later.

Probably rolling out some much changes. For example, let's see if people who should have release dates from Tuesday - Saturday (based on purchases made last week) have an extra day tacked onto their wait period like what happened on MLK Birthday Holiday. This would fix the issue to just not allow release on the Holiday itself (as was the rule per MSP Licensing in the past).

I would imagine, like with any software rollout, there are likely a few issues to be fixed. They are likely using a Federal Holiday that State Employees also observe to fix issues and doing so during a time frame when it is unlikely many would be attempting to access the system.

We shall see. I have an application that was submitted 2/13 and already is not disapproved and should have a pickup of tomorrow. Was actually hoping Id get an email to pickup today, but that didnt happen.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I get to wait a extra day because of presidents day.

I was wondering about that. However, was your 'normal' pickup day expected to be today or tomorrow? Today IS a Fed Holiday and the law says Sundays and Fed Holidays are not pickup days.

Scott's is not opened today (closed Sun and Mon), but I got into our portal to see what was going on. As the saying goes "Velly Intelesting".

1 purchaser whose wait period spanned across the holiday had a day added. Should have been able to pickup tomorrow but MSP said 3/22 which is Weds. 3 were given a release after 7 days.

So maybe those release dates aren't computer generated but instead specified by MSP personnel who are processing the checks?

I looked at the dealer Portal's specified release date and looked to see when the application was first submitted (in the .pdf form generated by MSP)

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    If submitted on a Monday the last day of msp check falls on the following Sunday, they get an extra day Monday and you pick up on Tuesday.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    If I submitted last Monday then I should be able to pick up tomorrow. Correct?

Nope.
    Submitted Monday puts the 7th day Sunday. You can't count Sunday as the 7th day so that extends it to the next following day that is NOT a holiday. Since Monday is a holiday that puts Tuesday as the 7th day in the count so you may pick up on Wednesday the 22nd.
    Confused yet?

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    Well, it doesn't look like the fixed the holiday problem. I purchased gun and submitted application on 2/14 and no email this morning. In addition, the Status Date and Expiration Dates on my list of applications are now blank, where last night there were dates there. On my applications (I have two active) the status was Initial review-Not Disapproved last night, now shows Under Review MDSP.

cowboys5time25

Dec 20, 2012
    Frederick
    Nope.
    Submitted Monday puts the 7th day Sunday. You can't count Sunday as the 7th day so that extends it to the next following day that is NOT a holiday. Since Monday is a holiday that puts Tuesday as the 7th day in the count so you may pick up on Wednesday the 22nd.
    Confused yet?

So we can't pick up on the 7th day anymore? That's a drop-off on the 13th and pick up on 22nd? 10 actual days.

What time should i expect the email if I'm eligible to pick up?

magnetic1

Jun 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Well, it doesn't look like the fixed the holiday problem. I purchased gun and submitted application on 2/14 and no email this morning. In addition, the Status Date and Expiration Dates on my list of applications are now blank, where last night there were dates there. On my applications (I have two active) the status was Initial review-Not Disapproved last night, now shows Under Review MDSP.

Shoot, I purchased 2/13 and no email!

I printed my application last night and it said the same "Initial Review - Not Disapproved"... now it says "Under Review". :mad54: This was prolly the fix they implemented. As noted in the other e77 thread, they did not want people going into the FFL early because they hit print and it said "Not Disapproved".

abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    1 purchaser whose wait period spanned across the holiday had a day added. Should have been able to pickup tomorrow but MSP said 3/22 which is Weds. 3 were given a release after 7 days.

So maybe those release dates aren't computer generated but instead specified by MSP personnel who are processing the checks?

Just to be clear, you're saying that the state is currently being inconsistent with its treatment of the Federal holiday, in terms of whether or not it's being counted as one of the seven days in the waiting period?

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Just to be clear, you're saying that the state is currently being inconsistent with its treatment of the Federal holiday, in terms of whether or not it's being counted as one of the seven days in the waiting period?

That is what appears to be happening. Right after MLK day, we had just 2 or 3 handguns to be picked up and all 3 had a day added to their 7 day wait. We have 4 to be picked up this week which follows Presidents day. 3 of 4 had a 7 day pickup. One had an 8 day pickup (it was purchased on Tuesday before Presidents Day but the stated release date on the Final Disposition Column was for Weds Feb 22. Another handgun purchased on Weds Feb 15 is scheduled for release by MSP on Weds Feb 22 as well. Two others purchased last week have 7 day releases also specified. Given this difference, I am inclined to believe that the software isn't the issue, but that individuals are responsible for entering the release dates into the Final Disposition Column on the Dealers portal.

I have not noticed an issue with adding a day any other times, so I am fairly certain it is due to the Federal Holiday. For those who had a day added that would, without the holiday, have had a pickup on Monday, that IS consistent for directions given on the old 77R form regarding the law.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Shoot, I purchased 2/13 and no email!

I printed my application last night and it said the same "Initial Review - Not Disapproved"... now it says "Under Review". :mad54: This was prolly the fix they implemented. As noted in the other e77 thread, they did not want people going into the FFL early because they hit print and it said "Not Disapproved".

For a 2/13 purchase, even though your normal '7 day' release would have been the 20th, on the directions on the old paper 77R, it would have been proper to add a day as releases were not to be on Sunday or a Federal Holiday.

As to early release from an FFL due to a customer showing a printed form, we have a Final Disposition Column on our Dealer Portal that includes a release date. That is where I saw the release dates for some of our customers. If someone showed me a paper with their release date and it was different from what I saw on our portal, I wouldn't release until our release date unless I could get MSP to clear up the issue via a phone call.

On the good side of MSP processing, we had an employee screw up a serial number on the online 77R by dropping an alphabetic character in front of several digits. It was correct on the 4473, but not in the portal. A call to MSP and a few minutes wait and they fixed it for us. Good for our customer....now we need to be extra careful not to make that screw up again. We don't need an irate customer because we make a screw up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would expect some of these smallish issues.

Places where the programmers were not quite clear on the rules. But that is why there is maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom