• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From what I saw it doesn't matter if it is cosmetic similar. They don't make you fill out the banned form just because it looks similar to a banned weapons.

To be considered a copycat the internal parts tjat make it fiction have to be interchangeable.

No, just looking similar is not enough.

But according to that document, interchangeable parts is also NOT ENOUGH. It must be BOTH.

And this applies to COPY or IMITATION. Copy cat is the 29" minimum and the 2 of 3 evil features.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Does this advisory really do anything more than reiterate what the statute is? I think we all know what the statute is. Now, how it is interpreted is a completely different thing with a good amount of disagreement.

Yes, the statute does not define a copy or imitation.

This advisory does. And according to it, the firearm must have completely interchangeable internal components AND be cosmetically similar.

The AND is interesting.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    AG ruling on copies FYI.

I've read it about 20 times now. All you need to do is focus on the conclusion paragraph:

Conclusion
    For the reasons set forth above, it is our opinion that the
    reference to “copies” in PS §5-101(p)(2) does not extend the
    regulated firearms law to weapons that bear a mere cosmetic
    similarity to a listed weapon. Rather, in order for a firearm to be
    considered a copy of a listed assault weapon, and therefore governed
    by the regulated firearms law, there must be a similarity between the
    internal components and function of the firearm in question and
    those of one of the listed weapons.
    A determination as to whether
    a particular firearm bears such similarity is a factual question
    entrusted in the first instance to the Department of State Police.

How MSP got completely interchangeable parts from the AG opinion is beyond me, but the factual question of "copy" has been entrusted to MSP. The one good thing in the AG opinion is that it states where a "caliber" is specifically referenced in the enumerated list, a gun of a different "caliber" would not be a copy since the legislative intent was to limit the characterization to the specific "caliber" mentioned in the statute.

The problem with these laws is that what they mean depends on who you ask on any given day.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Maybe it's a reaction to the reaction to the MA AG opinion that has that state up in arms. Or as I said earlier, an attempt to steal Christmas? :shrug:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    "Similarity" instead of "interchangeability" while leaving the determination to MSP is typical legal sleaze.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    "Similarity" instead of "interchangeability" while leaving the determination to MSP is typical legal sleaze.

There is so much gray in the statute and the AG opinion. Not only that, but take a look at how HBAR is defined. My FFL sent an e-mail to MSP regarding an "HBAR" barrel that I was looking at for a build, and he never received a response.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    My FFL sent an e-mail to MSP regarding an "HBAR" barrel that I was looking at for a build, and he never received a response.

Hah! Of course he didn't!

Remember, MSPs written response to the Engage lawsuit was to "ask your FFL" if something is banned or not.

:rolleyes:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't think there is a whole lot to protect us regarding guidance.

Folks talk about printing out an advertisement or a description or carry the shipping order with the gun. But there are no identifying marks on a barrel. Certainly no serial number. No way to balance the printout or work order to the barrel in question.

The Officer has to take your word for it. Cuzz you ain't gonna prove one way or the other if you're compliant. And if you've done something so egregious that you've been pulled over and removed from your vehicle, while your stuff is being gone through, then you have bigger problems.

If the Officer wants your gun, no piece of paper is going to stop him/her. What we need is clarification of what an HBAR is and what an HBAR isn't. Can't be that difficult. Now that IS something Gov. Hogan could work on for us. .02.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One.

Farging.

Rifle.

So, Big Bubba needs to show the peons his big stick (even though it's cracked, part of it's missing, and the duct tape is falling off).

Maybe, but I'd bet some money they are simply loading up another charge on someone for something else that person did which was illegal.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I've read it about 20 times now. All you need to do is focus on the conclusion paragraph:

Conclusion
    For the reasons set forth above, it is our opinion that the
    reference to “copies” in PS §5-101(p)(2) does not extend the
    regulated firearms law to weapons that bear a mere cosmetic
    similarity to a listed weapon. Rather, in order for a firearm to be
    considered a copy of a listed assault weapon, and therefore governed
    by the regulated firearms law, there must be a similarity between the
    internal components and function of the firearm in question and
    those of one of the listed weapons.
    A determination as to whether
    a particular firearm bears such similarity is a factual question
    entrusted in the first instance to the Department of State Police.

How MSP got completely interchangeable parts from the AG opinion is beyond me, but the factual question of "copy" has been entrusted to MSP. The one good thing in the AG opinion is that it states where a "caliber" is specifically referenced in the enumerated list, a gun of a different "caliber" would not be a copy since the legislative intent was to limit the characterization to the specific "caliber" mentioned in the statute.

The problem with these laws is that what they mean depends on who you ask on any given day.

I needed part of this. Thanks fabs.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So basically everything we already know?

What I want clarification on is "Avtomat klanishicov in any form "

That means that the AK in any form is banned. Get a VZ and you are fine. The KS-47, no problem. The AK, you are in deep shit, unless you completed an 80% flat before 10/1/13.

A page straight out of the G&S play book.

Pretty much. They don't care and make up rules as they go along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom