MSP is blowing smoke about the waiting period. 7 day wait meets the feds requirements

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sinnerman

Sinnerman
    Feb 23, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I appreciate the responses.

I did pay in full when I made the purchase as I did not want anything to hold up, what is already turning out to be a lengthy waiting period.

My records are, and have always been clean, everything is paid off, just playing the waiting game.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Has anyone filed an injunction to get their handgun after 7 days was up? The language of the Public Safety Article is pretty clear. MSP "shall conduct an investigation promptly", and they "shall" notify a "seller... in writing of the disapproval within 7 days after the executed firearm application is forwarded to the Secretary...."

I am about to be caught in this, and I am not happy about waiting until May for my firearm.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I appreciate the responses.

I did pay in full when I made the purchase as I did not want anything to hold up, what is already turning out to be a lengthy waiting period.

My records are, and have always been clean, everything is paid off, just playing the waiting game.

My Friend, You did the VERY thing that will hold it up. The incentive for them to call anyone in a timely manor is the fact there is an outstanding balance they want/need to get from their customers. The fact that you paid in full places you low on their priority list of people to call because they already have your money.

You are never doing yourself a favor by paying for anything in full when all you have to do is put down a small amount to get the ball rolling. Never pay in full. When you buy anything always place the very smallest deposit they will let you.

What happens if this FFL turns out to be a big dick and forgets to send in the paperwork for 30 days? Wouldn't you rather fight to get a deposit back rather then the entire nut?

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    No FFL is going to release the purchased firearm to you until they get that "not dissaproved" back from the MSP. You can file what ever you want. I have been waiting for 36 days now, and probably will be 40 days until I get the call to come pick up. You have everyone and their cousins daughter buying up everything in sight, last I checked 2+2=4 so if you have 100k applications plus and only 500 investigators (not real numbers) you can see that there is going to be a wait.

If you can't deal with the wait I would suggest just asking for your refund from the FFl. You have to remember too, this is hurting FFL's too because more and more people who have firearms are slacking up on the purchases because of the wait and climate. The FFl's are getting hit twice, once for not having product and two for long waits when people are just tired of it. I have had a chance to purchase several different firearms that I really wanted, but because of the wait I refuse to purchase anything else until the outcome of this BS gun bill!

Until all of these bills and the climate settles down, there is no way around it.

Sinnerman

Sinnerman
    Feb 23, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Yep, that makes complete sense, and certainly noted for the future.

I have to admit that the logic seems a bit backwards, as it would seem to me (yes, a complete novice, obviously) that paying in full was the better way to show yourself as a serious customer, and worth putting in the extra effort in for.

Definitely feel like an idiot, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Here's to hoping the FFL doesn't drag this out.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    No FFL is going to release the purchased firearm to you until they get that "not dissaproved" back from the MSP. You can file what ever you want.

That's correct. That 7 day and give the gun out paperwork or not was the law at one time years ago but it has changed an no longer that way. The paperwork has to be completed before the gun can be handed out and there is a number that comes back from the MSP the FFL needs before they can give the gun out.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Has anyone filed an injunction to get their handgun after 7 days was up? The language of the Public Safety Article is pretty clear. MSP "shall conduct an investigation promptly", and they "shall" notify a "seller... in writing of the disapproval within 7 days after the executed firearm application is forwarded to the Secretary...."

I am about to be caught in this, and I am not happy about waiting until May for my firearm.

No doubt that no FFL will release a weapon until they get the not disapproved letter. But, has anyone attempted to use the legal process to force the issue? If a Court orders MSP to act, it will. It may also kick them in the rear to devote more manpower to this and/or force them to start releasing firearms.

I am worried that the gun grabbing anti-civil rights crowd will attempt to make this law effective before 1 October, and I am not interested in being involved with their new licensing fees/requirements.

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    Going this route will only bring a negitive perception to the buyer no matter how legal. Perception is reality. Nothing is going to kick the MSP or the state to hire more troopers to handle the checks. They already want to tax us into oblivion because of the of the budget and money woes. Doesn't matter what you want, law is law, you will have two choices at that time, 1 move to a gun friendly state, 2 obide like a law obiding citzen.

Personally, I will continue to fight the fight until this ends, then I will make my decision based upon that outcome. But, I will not be forced to become a felon, or follow laws that go against my rights. I.E. I will be forced to move.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    That's correct. That 7 day and give the gun out paperwork or not was the law at one time years ago but it has changed an no longer that way. The paperwork has to be completed before the gun can be handed out and there is a number that comes back from the MSP the FFL needs before they can give the gun out.

Actually you have it backwards. The 7 days and give the gun out law came about because the MSP was routinely taking much longer than the 7 days to do the paperwork. There was no incentive to get it done on time nor was there any penalty. It was referred to as a de facto gun ban at the time. That is when the MSP said they need more funding to upgrade, hire, etc. to meet thew 7 day requirement. Then they passed the law allowing the $10 processing fee and also added in the part that said the gun could be transferred after 7 day without paperwork.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Actually you have it backwards. The 7 days and give the gun out law came about because the MSP was routinely taking much longer than the 7 days to do the paperwork. There was no incentive to get it done on time nor was there any penalty. It was referred to as a de facto gun ban at the time. That is when the MSP said they need more funding to upgrade, hire, etc. to meet thew 7 day requirement. Then they passed the law allowing the $10 processing fee and also added in the part that said the gun could be transferred after 7 day without paperwork.

We will have to agree to disagree. But I think I will listen to this one FFL that moves $780k a year that told me they once could, but no longer can give the gun out in Maryland just because 7 days went by because of law changes a few years ago.

Not to mention none of the Maryland FFL's will give out the gun after 7 days without paperwork.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    We will have to agree to disagree. But I think I will listen to this one FFL that moves $780k a year that told me they once could, but no longer can give the gun out in Maryland just because 7 days went by because of law changes a few years ago.

Not to mention none of the Maryland FFL's will give out the gun after 7 days without paperwork.

RIF.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Has anyone filed an injunction to get their handgun after 7 days was up? The language of the Public Safety Article is pretty clear. MSP "shall conduct an investigation promptly", and they "shall" notify a "seller... in writing of the disapproval within 7 days after the executed firearm application is forwarded to the Secretary....".

So that the State enacts emergency legislation to change the law from 7 to 30 days?

No thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom