• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 13, 2005
    My search-jistu is weak and I can't find it, but recently someone was talking about buying a semi-auto in MD and the dealer shipped the hi-cap mag out of state to another address and the MSP was going after the FFL for that.

Can someone point me to the thread that contained this??

Thanks

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My search-jistu is weak and I can't find it, but recently someone was talking about buying a semi-auto in MD and the dealer shipped the hi-cap mag out of state to another address and the MSP was going after the FFL for that.

Can someone point me to the thread that contained this??

Thanks

What's there to go after? Sounds perfectly OK to me.

May 13, 2005
    There was a thread that was following it, or it was buried in an HBAR thread or something, but I'm trying to find more information about it. Not arguing the legality of it, just more information the details if the particular incident.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    What's there to go after? Sounds perfectly OK to me.

But you aren't the MSP, are you? Some IP's are very nervous that they will be targeted. While it may be legal, the Peoples Republic employs lawyers. We already know the honorable Cardin and others worry about the spirit of the the law and the 7 day waiting period.

If they decide to sic the legal beagles on a gun shop, there is no cost to the State. They are paying the lawyers whether thay sit on their ass or file briefs.

Gunshops don't have the luxury of having lawyers on staff and they don't come cheap. In the end, the gunshop may have a legal victory but be broke.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It is buried in one of the hbar threads and there are no more details in that post than what is contained in the op. Fwiw teratos is the one that briefly mentioned it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    If you are buying the firearm from them it's very suspect due to the wording of the law.

If they are doing a transfer it's a little less worrying but at the end of the day in liberal MD everything is a worry.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I would think the solution is to have the mags invoiced to be paid for by the out of state addressee. That would legally make them NOT the property of the MD resident; it would instead be a MD legal sale to a non-MD resident. Even if it is only 1¢, its still a sale. Without the out of state sale, there would be some leeway to claim the MD resident paid for the mags.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    But it's legal for a MD resident to purchase them. It's also perfectly legal to bring them back into the state, so long as you did not take delivery of them within the state. It's funny how the spirit of the law concept is a one-way street with these crooks.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    But it's legal for a MD resident to purchase them.

It is illegal to purchase them in MD.

That's part of the issue about shipping them out of state. On a transfer I believe the gun shop is kind of "out of it" as they are only a middle man so to speak.

But if they are selling you the gun and magazines and shipping them out of state for you to pick them up you have essentially made the purchase (and paid state taxes) on the magazines and they then shipped them.

Again..it's silly and could be easily avoided as stated about but it's a gray area for certain.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    But that's what you do on an open forum right? Blab, blab, blab. Not that anyone is overtly breaking any laws, but it reminds me of the nitwits that brag about their wrongdoings on Twitter/Facebook :sad20:

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    But that's what you do on an open forum right? Blab, blab, blab. Not that anyone is overtly breaking any laws, but it reminds me of the nitwits that brag about their wrongdoings on Twitter/Facebook :sad20:

I kill unicorns. I said it on the internet so it must be true :rolleyes:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    For the officially unofficial word on the import and possession of high capacity magazine, click here.

That tells us nothing that we already do not know.

It doesn't even answer the question at heart. Can you BUY a gun that comes with an "illegal" magazine, have the mag shipped out of state, and legally pick the mag up? That's the question.

Or how about a transfer. Since the purchase is out of state can the MD ffl get the magazine and send it out to be picked up. There is technically no "sale" on the MD FFl's part so I'm inclined to say yes but the first one not to sure on.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    They never tell you what you can and cannot do. They never make it cut and dried. They just regurgitate the same crap over and over and leave it up to you. Then they :spank: you if you do what they didn't want you to do without explicitly telling you.

IANAL but just reading that letter I would say the answer to the questions is NO :shrug:

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    SAFE

I would think the solution is to have the mags invoiced to be paid for by the out of state addressee. That would legally make them NOT the property of the MD resident; it would instead be a MD legal sale to a non-MD resident. Even if it is only 1¢, its still a sale. Without the out of state sale, there would be some leeway to claim the MD resident paid for the mags.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Sounds like the safest way to do it to me.:D

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    PLEASE!

Yea, well I know where Jimmy Hoffa is buried 'cause.......:lol2:

OH PLEASE...You do NOT KNOW where Jimmy is buried, because he IS NOT DEAD.

He is living in a 2br condo in Fl. on gulf coast side. The city is a SECRET but the rest is well known, amongst those that know.....of course@!!:lol2:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    That tells us nothing that we already do not know.

It doesn't even answer the question at heart. Can you BUY a gun that comes with an "illegal" magazine, have the mag shipped out of state, and legally pick the mag up? That's the question.

Or how about a transfer. Since the purchase is out of state can the MD ffl get the magazine and send it out to be picked up. There is technically no "sale" on the MD FFl's part so I'm inclined to say yes but the first one not to sure on.

as from what i can tell of the new law, you can own, use, transport and store said magazine(s) if you purchased them BEFORE the new law went into effect. If ya don't save receipts, then the burden of proof is on the owner being questioned. border states to those who have a mag capacity ordinances are under extra scrutiny and any FFL who knowingly sold the "illegal" device may receive extra scrutiny for any and all transactions thereof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom