• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PCO31

Glockstar
    Mar 3, 2011
    Just a quick plug to share my appreciation for the Troopers at Benson Barrack for another smooth and easy handgun transfer. Filed papers the other day for a Glock 26 from a MDS member. They were very nice and the woman who worked with us was great....cant wait for the 8th day !!!!

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Interesting. What were the fees associated?
    I've never bought a handgun from a private party in MD.
    Can someone tell me the process for handling the sale/exchange at a Trooper Barracks or point me to the thread where this is explained.
    Thx.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Buyer and seller show up with gun in trunk. LEAVE GUN IN TRUNK. Go inside and tell the nice Trooper you want to do a transfer(Be careful with the GUN word). Take a check, While the MSP are trusted with Guns and Public Safety, they are not trusted with Cash Money ($10.00 ? )

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    10 bucks check or MO only. No Cash

1. Buyer and seller go to barracks.
    2. Go inside. Leave handgun in vehicle
    3. Fill out MSP forms (77 etc.)
    4. Be guided by trooper as far as getting serial number off weapon. (Some allow you to bring it in, others don't ie. Rockville)
    5. Get pink copy of 77 to buyer/seller.
    6. Wait 7 days. MSP will mail white copies of MSP 77 to you prior to the physical transfer.
    7. Buyer/seller sign white copies of MSP 77 and return via USPS to MSP Handgun Section.
    8. Seller transfers gun to buyer.

That's how it went for me and another MDS member who actually exchanged guns.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    10 bucks check or MO only. No Cash

1. Buyer and seller go to barracks.
    2. Go inside. Leave handgun in vehicle
    3. Fill out MSP forms (77 etc.)
    4. Be guided by trooper as far as getting serial number off weapon. (Some allow you to bring it in, others don't ie. Rockville)
    5. Get pink copy of 77 to buyer/seller.
    6. Wait 7 days. MSP will mail white copies of MSP 77 to you prior to the physical transfer.
    7. Buyer/seller sign white copies of MSP 77 and return via USPS to MSP Handgun Section.
    8. Seller transfers gun to buyer.

That's how it went for me and another MDS member who actually exchanged guns.

Noted.
    Q: Do the buyer and seller have to meet at the same barracks or can each go to their respective barracks and fill out the forms with copies of one another's IDs?

Between 7 and 8; do you each have to meet each other again at the Barracks to countersign each others copies and do the physical handoff?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Noted.
    Q: Do the buyer and seller have to meet at the same barracks or can each go to their respective barracks and fill out the forms with copies of one another's IDs?

Between 7 and 8; do you each have to meet each other again at the Barracks to countersign each others copies and do the physical handoff?

I don't know the answer about separate barracks. I would tend to doubt it. The buyer/seller info is submitted as one package to the Handgun Section. MSP wants to see both DL's. I would think doing them separately would cause too much confusion And after the 7 days you can physically transfer the firearm anywhere. Both buyer and seller just need to sign and return the white copies My friend came over to my place with his white copy. We both signed and I mailed both of them back to Pikesville. We did the transfer at my place.

Remember in my case there were 2 firearms involved, not just one. Call MSP for clarification on locations.

That's my experience anyway.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    Noted.

I've done transfers via MSP twice, last month.

You would not be able to do the paperwork at differing MSP locations, there are lots of carbon copies involved of the forms, and the officer confirms your ID to your face. Not saying there couldn't be a work around.

We did NOT have to wait for the "not diasapproved" paperwork to come back to me (the seller) before making the physical transfer of the gun. On one transfer we were told to wait 7 business days, then we were allowed to hand over the gun. On the other transfer we were told to wait 10 days. We did NOT have to meet at MSP to do physical transfer of weapon.

In both instances we were told that we had to meet up with each other (any where) to get the signatures on the "not disapproved" stamped form and send it in within 10 days of the physical transfer of the weapon. Neither the buyer or seller keeps a copy of this once it has been stamped.

Cost was 10 bucks money order or check only.

Was not a hassle to do, beyond the mood of the desk officer. Some are just more pleasant than others.

Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    Just a quick plug to share my appreciation for the Troopers at Benson Barrack for another smooth and easy handgun transfer. Filed papers the other day for a Glock 26 from a MDS member. They were very nice and the woman who worked with us was great....cant wait for the 8th day !!!!

It went way more smooth then I would have thought. She was very nice indeed. I was concerned at first because she looked a bit irritated. I actually got a laugh out of her when I asked her not to judge my character by the cleanliness of my Jeep interior. :D

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    In addition to the previously mentioned steps, be sure to have your safety course card or other appropriate paper work. I just did a transfer with another member here(seller) at Jessup/Watterloo and it could not have gone smoother. One difference is that trooper told us it was OK to transfer after 10 days if paperwork did not get back to seller by then. BelAir/Benson had told me 8 days in a past transaction.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Old timers will call the Barrack between Fallston & Bel Air "The Benson Barrack" but MSP now calls it "The Bel Air Barrack". Still the same place and yes things are a bit smoother there then elsewhere. Chris

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    I have transfered several handuns at Benson and always went great.
    A friend of mine (Bato. County Police) was told by the trooper on duty
    when he went to the barracks that ,because he lived in Balto. county,
    he had to go to a barracks located there. Benson would not do the
    transfer. Go figure!!

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I have transfered several handuns at Benson and always went great.
    A friend of mine (Bato. County Police) was told by the trooper on duty
    when he went to the barracks that ,because he lived in Balto. county,
    he had to go to a barracks located there. Benson would not do the
    transfer. Go figure!!

He should have replied, "I live in the State of Maryland."

OLD FORD GUY

Mar 31, 2012
    Baldwin, MD
    I did a transfer at Benson in April and found the trooper very helpful and extremely polite. The only problem was it took 5 days, weekend included, to get to Pikesville.

PCO31

Glockstar
    Mar 3, 2011
    Anxiously waited for the 8th day, and the paperwork just happened to arrive at the sellers house that very afternoon..............perfect timing. I am now the proud owner of my first Glock....cant wait to try it out at Freestate. I like to go to the barrack early in the week and at 3pm shift change, to increase the odds of a trooper being available.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom