• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Tim, do you have your own actual company (LLC or s corp or something) and if so have that company write your letter?

I do not. I am just self employed. I can go that route, but that is additional time and money. Also, my real estate license has my broker's name on it and that is what the MSP is referring to. By state real estate commission law, I need to reference the broker I am affiliated with on my license.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I met a small business owner who told me the MSP actually went and interviewed his mom before giving him a permit.

I hate this state....sigh.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Not an overnight thing. Lots of schooling and insurance and some other things.
    You can always start a business related to but not exactly doing what your real estate license is for. A trade name registration/LLC is not too expensive. Who knows you might just make money doing it. Give me a call Friday for some ideas. It can be done extremely quick.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I understand and appreciate the advice, but I am too furious right now to cave to the PC image and change it. It may hurt me in the long run, but since when have I given a crap? :D

:mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

This is ****ing ********, just one more barrier to put in your way. And just for reference, I DON'T understand why your manager can't sign off.

This is complete BS

When did it become that we live at the pleasure of bureaucrats? Our forefathers worked to make sure things like this WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

I just want to freaking spit

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    This is ****ing ********, just one more barrier to put in your way. And just for reference, I DON'T understand why your manager can't sign off.

This is complete BS

When did it become that we live at the pleasure of bureaucrats? Our forefathers worked to make sure things like this WOULD NEVER HAPPEN.

His "manager" can't sign off bc they aren't really his "manager," "boss," "employer," etc.

A real estate broker is just like an umbrella. It may not be a direct comparison but it's similar to an electrical subcontractor operating under a general contractors license. The electrical guy owns his own company. The GC is not his boss, he's just providing the license, insurance, etc.
    I think I've got that right.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

This is complete BS

My manager is willing to sign off, but corporate, which HE is an employee of, will not allow him to endorse a letter on the company's behalf. This is a direct quote from my broker of record(person who actually holds the broker's license for my office), "agents that we have who are licensed to carry obtain that status on their own. XYZ company does not get involved in that process."

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I drafted a letter to Ehrlich when this same thing happened to me back in about 2003.

Basically said that I have directed my wife and family to file suit on my behalf naming him and the (then) MSP Super liable for my death in the event I were to be killed while working and unable to properly defend myself.

My wife and Mom talked me out of sending it as it was decided I would could be part of some type of "list".

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I have another story about how crafty and what level of ******** the MSP is willing to play at when dealing with these permits.

They called me about 30 minutes after my face to face to tell me I would likely be denied because I wasn't honest about an ex parte order a few years prior. (Now,.... they were serious about this) They said I was dishonest because I failed to tell them about a protective order that I initiated against someone else (my wife as embarrassing as that is). I filed it, then dropped it (like many folks do), more of legal maneuver than anything.

I was dumbfounded, they will grasp for straws if need be, this I'm sure is only one little example of their games. Of course (never) jives with the belief that the "rank and file" really want us to have permits. If they did they wouldn't be such total dicks about the process.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    So the op is essentially saying we have a new governor, and a new msp super appointee, but the same old bs because the sgt doesnt deem sd as g&s? This could be straightened out with a phone call. Open for business? Better customer service? Seems someone is just blowing smoke up . . .

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Op-I'm guessing you've probably addressed it already but have you compile statistics on the dangers Realtors face? I've seen on TV many times that agents, usually female, meeting clients or holding open houses have been robbed, shot or worse. If you can get enough empirical evidence that the job has inherent dangers not faced by most people it may help your cause. If they still insist on the employer angle it won't help I'm sure. As far as the brokerage, I'm sure legal has advised them that they are potentially liable for a suit as they do have a some what controlling influence on your business. They cut the checks right? What if you were Remax, would it be different? Hope things work out for you. Hell, when I was on the road taking mortgage applications I often wished I was armed. It was a real eye opener to see how some people live and acted. It was almost as bad as when I did bail bond work for a short period.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Way to go MSP. Like usual, MSP screws something up with the CCW process. Is anybody really surprised by this?

Best of luck, Tim. Hope you get it soon.
    Why are they screwing up? Nowhere does it say anyone is entitled to a permit.
    He said he doesn't want to go the route of him being self employed(too much trouble) and some company doesn't want to sign off him having a permit.
    Seems to me he should be mad at the "brokerage", not the msp.

When does the review board meet?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    He said he doesn't want to go the route of him being self employed(too much trouble) and some company doesn't want to sign off him having a permit.

He's an independent contractor, his days/hours are not set by anyone other than himself. He is 100% commission based and receives no W2. Issue is, he ONLY receives compensation through his Broker of Record.
    Why would his broker (actually an EMPLOYEE) of the RE company need to "sign off" for the MSP to issue a permit? Why do they need someone else in the loop? Are they (the MSP) remotely liable if he were to shoot up his office next week with his new carry permit?

I fail to understand how.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

A. He already is self-employed, all realtors are.
    B. He is not an employee of the broker. That has been reiterated umpteen times in the thread.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    It seems to me go the extra money and setup a corporation/LLC, this makes you principal and would then be portable if you changed brokers. You also need to get some property management in there as part of G&S, this would give you addition time on locations (24/7). Any rentals that you pick up cash rents. All that kind of stuff is what they are looking for. Remember it's not about you it's about the liability the State could incur granting you a permit. I know it sucks but these are the laws/regulations we have to deal with and until we can, either by legislation or litigation, change them. Chris

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

COTUS states he and all of us are entitled to bear arms. The permit is BS in the first place.

I don't think he should be mad at his broker for not endorsing what is already an individual right. The right belongs to Tim not the broker.

It is pathetic that the MSP Sgt. is too stupid to understand what self employed is.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

I AM self employed. My broker is not my employer. They are taking this to a place that is not specified and adding the requirement of my broker "requesting/wanting" me to be armed. This is exactly comparable to a home improvement contractor needing a letter from a home owner asking the contractor to be armed while working with them.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I do not. I am just self employed. I can go that route, but that is additional time and money. Also, my real estate license has my broker's name on it and that is what the MSP is referring to. By state real estate commission law, I need to reference the broker I am affiliated with on my license.

How much more time and money would it be? I mean, this is the angle your applying for anyway, right, self employed?

Trying to think like the MSP here......
    Technically if a broker is holding/sponsoring your commission/license, then wouldn't they would be an "employer"?
    So, no portion of you getting paid goes through the broker?

How do independent real estate agents have their licenses held? Joe schmo out of his house?
    These are questions I would be asking if I were looking at applications.

Seems no different than armed security with their permit for work. It is only good when an employer is sponsoring it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom