• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Not a lawyer or a CPA, but I would think sales taxes are expected to be paid for all sales, whether the seller does the collection and reporting for you or not. You are expected to self-report/voluntarily disclose the amount that you owe the state. Online sellers like amazon currently enjoy pseudo tax-free status because their sales are typically "across state lines," but the laws regarding such sales are a bit of a recently developed gray area left to be defined.

It's unenforced and almost no one ever self-reports, but you're not going to get through a day of your life without breaking a law somewhere.

lol that's pretty funny. If the government thinks it's going to get money from me by any means other than threats and coercion, it's kidding itself...

bm3r

Mar 25, 2013
    Good question.

Do you have to make an appointment or can you just walk in?
    Do both people involved in the transaction have to be there?
    Does the item being transferred have to physically be taken to the barracks?
    What types of proof of residence are acceptable/required?

Thanks in advance. I may be doing this soon and smooth is good.

Great questions too!

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    lol that's pretty funny. If the government thinks it's going to get money from me by any means other than threats and coercion, it's kidding itself...

They have guns with a giggle switch and a housing unit known as PMITA prison. Sounds like threats and coercion to me.

gorgeman

Apr 23, 2013
    I would wait until card is mailed back....hold money until then.....if disapproved you have to reclaim lower

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Good question.

Do you have to make an appointment or can you just walk in?
    Do both people involved in the transaction have to be there?
    Does the item being transferred have to physically be taken to the barracks?
    What types of proof of residence are acceptable/required?

Thanks in advance. I may be doing this soon and smooth is good.

1) you should call the Barricks, each one seems to be different about when they will do it.
    2) yes, both parties have to be present.
    3) yes you have to take the firearm with you. DO NOT TAKE THE FIREARM INTO THE BARRICKS UNTIL YOU ARE INSTRUCTED TO RETRIEVE IT BY THE TROOPER!!! Some will go to your vehicle and look at it, others will tell you to go out and bring it in.
    4) not sure what all they will accept for proof of residence, Maryland drivers license or some sort of DMV issued ID would be your best bet.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Don't forget to take a check with you. The fee must be paid with a check.

I use money orders, same thing really. I always leave my checkbook at home, while there are western union locations everywhere.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Stealthbmbr

Mar 26, 2013
    Not a lawyer or a CPA, but I would think sales taxes are expected to be paid for all sales, whether the seller does the collection and reporting for you or not. You are expected to self-report/voluntarily disclose the amount that you owe the state. Online sellers like amazon currently enjoy pseudo tax-free status because their sales are typically "across state lines," but the laws regarding such sales are a bit of a recently developed gray area left to be defined.

It's unenforced and almost no one ever self-reports, but you're not going to get through a day of your life without breaking a law somewhere.

http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Sales_and_Use_Tax/default.shtml

"Sales and Use Tax

Every state that has a sales tax also has a use tax on the purchase of goods and services as defined by law. State sales taxes apply to purchases made in Maryland while the use tax refers to the tax on goods purchased out of state.

Businesses in Maryland are required to collect Maryland's 6 percent sales tax and or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax from you whenever you make a taxable purchase.

Every time you purchase taxable tangible goods from businesses outside of Maryland, whether in person, over the phone, or on the Internet, the purchase is subject to Maryland's 6 percent use tax or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax if you use the merchandise in Maryland. Maryland' use tax protects Maryland businesses from unfair competition. Local businesses would be at a competitive disadvantage if consumers were entitled to a 6 or 9 percent discount on items purchased from out of state businesses."

Good luck enforcing these laws.

Here's the form to file your use tax.

http://forms.marylandtaxes.com/12_forms/ST-118A.pdf

Last edited:

Proline Fisher

Mar 16, 2013
    Severn
    http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Individual_Taxes/Individual_Tax_Types/Sales_and_Use_Tax/default.shtml

"Sales and Use Tax

Every state that has a sales tax also has a use tax on the purchase of goods and services as defined by law. State sales taxes apply to purchases made in Maryland while the use tax refers to the tax on goods purchased out of state.

Businesses in Maryland are required to collect Maryland's 6 percent sales tax and or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax from you whenever you make a taxable purchase.

Every time you purchase taxable tangible goods from businesses outside of Maryland, whether in person, over the phone, or on the Internet, the purchase is subject to Maryland's 6 percent use tax or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax if you use the merchandise in Maryland. Maryland' use tax protects Maryland businesses from unfair competition. Local businesses would be at a competitive disadvantage if consumers were entitled to a 6 or 9 percent discount on items purchased from out of state businesses."

Good luck enforcing these laws.

Here's the form to file your use tax.

http://forms.marylandtaxes.com/12_forms/ST-118A.pdf

Bringing back memories, I was a Sales and Use tax auditor for a few years. No one was ever happy to see me when I showed up.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    So taxing out of state purchases keeps in-state businesses from being at a disadvantage because of the tax you put on them, huh, Maryland? If the real goal was to protect in-state business, you would get rid of the sales tax. What a joke.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I am going to try this tomorrow, so I will update this if I find out anything different. In this case I am the buyer. Thanks for all of the info. Let's hope Centreville is friendly. Based on what I read in this thread, I will take a check. The owner will take the gun, and a bill of sale. Then again, is a bill of sale necessary since the gun is not sold yet?

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    I recently did a transfer with an MDS member at the MSP-Rockville barracks. We went on a thursday, mid-day. the trooper at the desk said they typically tell people to do firearms transfers on the weekends since they are busy during the week doing other stuff. We didn't know and I never heard that before, but were already there, so.... anyway, the whole process took just under an hour and we were the only ones there.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Update: Centreville MSP was great. No one there on all 3 visits. Yes, it took me 3 visits because the first time, I took last years hunting license because I was told on the phone that it would be fine. Before leaving, I was told that I had to have a hunters safety card after 2002, or, I could go take the course on line, print out the card and bring it back.

I found the on-line test, but that comes with a field day before you get your card...in a few months. I then found my original safety card from 1977, took it back to MSP and he said that wouldn't work. That trip was my fault for not paying attention. What I did tell him was that I could not take the test and immediately print out a card. On my way back home, I stopped at DNR and was able to get what I needed. My final trip was today and I can take possession after 8 business days.

Anyway, really nice trooper in Centreville, no appt. necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom