• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    It's job security. If they have this huge backlog, then they can justify maintaining their larger staff going into the new fiscal year and they'll have plenty to do.

Plus, if you read the financial plan that goes with SB281, they are already spending the millions they'll bring in from our pockets now that we have to pay to register every firearm. They are planning for the purchase rate to remain high. They didn't take into consideration that if they only require fingerprinting for new purchases that sales will tank. That's why I think they'll want to fingerprint everyone registering anything, not just new purchases.

I wonder if we have to surrender what we currently own while we wait three months for them to process the registration so we can have our stuff back. They are holding transfers now...

By 'new purchasers', do you mean first time purchasers?

The way I read SB281 is that the fingerprinting will be required for everyone registering after Oct 1st. Regardless if you have a regulated firearm on record already. But if you are already in the queue, then the fingerprinting is not required. Meaning if you fill out and submit paperwork in September, you're fine even if the backlog prevents you from getting your firearm until 2014. If they are assuming that the purchase rate will remain high, then there is no real incentive of purposely holding back on not disapproving. There's no incentive of working as fast as possible, either, but there's no incentive for purposely holding back.

The benefit of having a regulated firearm prior to Oct 1st, according to SB281, is that the training (and perhaps even the proficiency) requirement is waived. It is also waived if you are an active or retired LEO or active or honorably discharged service member.

As for your last comment, there is simply no evidence of this. The law states that those who currently own regulated firearms are grandfathered in, no licensing required. So if you submit your paperwork for your last regulated firearm on September 30th, 2013 and never ever want to purchase another regulated firearm, you will never have to get licensed. As the bill/law stands now. They are not coming to take your guns, yet. Is that their agenda? Yes. But they can't make that move, yet. They are probably waiting on the next tragedy to do that. Or waiting for the Feds to do it.

Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land

The way I read SB281 is that the fingerprinting will be required for everyone registering after Oct 1st. Regardless if you have a regulated firearm on record already. But if you are already in the queue, then the fingerprinting is not required. Meaning if you fill out and submit paperwork in September, you're fine even if the backlog prevents you from getting your firearm until 2014. If they are assuming that the purchase rate will remain high, then there is no real incentive of purposely holding back on not disapproving. There's no incentive of working as fast as possible, either, but there's no incentive for purposely holding back.

The benefit of having a regulated firearm prior to Oct 1st, according to SB281, is that the training (and perhaps even the proficiency) requirement is waived. It is also waived if you are an active or retired LEO or active or honorably discharged service member.

As for your last comment, there is simply no evidence of this. The law states that those who currently own regulated firearms are grandfathered in, no licensing required. So if you submit your paperwork for your last regulated firearm on September 30th, 2013 and never ever want to purchase another regulated firearm, you will never have to get licensed. As the bill/law stands now. They are not coming to take your guns, yet. Is that their agenda? Yes. But they can't make that move, yet. They are probably waiting on the next tragedy to do that. Or waiting for the Feds to do it.

:lol: They are need to get their $h!t together because all they are doing is hurting themselves.

Simcom

Feb 4, 2013
    What are we up to currently? My last purchase was sent in 2/28/13 What are people getting back now?
    from what I read it appears they are getting 2/13 - 2/14 at the moment. I have a 2/14 purchase that I'm waiting on.. Hoping to get the call today.

SeaBass77

Jan 16, 2013
    Parkville
    53 days and being jerked around. MSP said they were on paperwork from 2/16 and my FFL won't tell me the day it was faxed, telling we you have another well or two. Anyone know where I can find an AR for under 1,000?

My understanding is even if you have a regulated firearm you will need the fingerprints and background check but you won't need to purchase the Lic or go thru the training class.

You DO NOT have to take the training course if any of the following apply:
     You have completed an MSP-approved certified safety course
     You have completed the DNR hunter safety course
     You are a currently a qualified handgun instructor
     You are an honorably discharged member of the Armed Forces or National Guard
     You are an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP
     YOU LAWFULLY OWN A REGULATED FIREARM (If you already own a regulated firearm, you DO NOT have to ever complete the training to apply for the handgun purchase license.)

sockgirl77

Pervinerdi
    Mar 5, 2013
    St. Mary's County.
    53 days and being jerked around. MSP said they were on paperwork from 2/16 and my FFL won't tell me the day it was faxed, telling we you have another well or two. Anyone know where I can find an AR for under 1,000?

My understanding is even if you have a regulated firearm you will need the fingerprints and background check but you won't need to purchase the Lic or go thru the training class.

You DO NOT have to take the training course if any of the following apply:
     You have completed an MSP-approved certified safety course
     You have completed the DNR hunter safety course
     You are a currently a qualified handgun instructor
     You are an honorably discharged member of the Armed Forces or National Guard
     You are an employee of an armored car company who has a handgun permit issued by MSP
     YOU LAWFULLY OWN A REGULATED FIREARM (If you already own a regulated firearm, you DO NOT have to ever complete the training to apply for the handgun purchase license.)

I'd go to your FFL and stand there until they provided you with the date that they faxed your app in. That's just ridiculous.

TheGoodSoldier

Oath Keeper
    Jan 25, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Was just on the phone with MSP Licensing Div and was told that my app was not only sent in later, but I'm on review because my last name is Sanchez.....Isn't this why we have the option to place our SSN on the applications? So that they don't have to sort through all the people with the same names? Apparently my application was sent in on the 2/13....I was hoping to get the call for my birthday this monday so I could have some "birthday fun" at MSAR but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now....

sockgirl77

Pervinerdi
    Mar 5, 2013
    St. Mary's County.
    Was just on the phone with MSP Licensing Div and was told that my app was not only sent in later, but I'm on review because my last name is Sanchez.....Isn't this why we have the option to place our SSN on the applications? So that they don't have to sort through all the people with the same names? Apparently my application was sent in on the 2/13....I was hoping to get the call for my birthday this monday so I could have some "birthday fun" at MSAR but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now....

Just pay the $7 to rent a gun.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Just pay the $7 to rent a gun.

Renting isn't the same as breaking in your new gun.

Not to knock renting, it's definitely worth it to rent if you want to try a different caliber or style of gun. But there is a definite difference in using your own firearm vs using a rental. A pride of ownership sort of thing.

Loader

Jan 5, 2013

I'm not up on the latest version of the law, so can't argue or discuss it really. I meant to be sarcastic , but then went serious.

The way I read it was that the fingerprinting and the rest of it was for any purchase after Oct 1. That's why I got my DC and have been buying everything I ever wanted - because I have no intention to go through their BS. If they fingerprint me, it will be to issue me a concealed carry permit and that's it.

But, in a shop talking to someone that's a certified instructor and in the middle of the fight, he laughed at me and told me that the weapons permit is required to register ANY regulated firearm and that ALL regulated firearms in the state will need to be registered - meaning the entire collection of anything you have that is on the list.

Like I said, I'm not up on the latest version plus I don't want to hijack this thread as there are others dealing with SB281, but there could be a reason to be concerned if all firearm collections must be entirely registered.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    I'm not up on the latest version of the law, so can't argue or discuss it really. I meant to be sarcastic , but then went serious.

The way I read it was that the fingerprinting and the rest of it was for any purchase after Oct 1. That's why I got my DC and have been buying everything I ever wanted - because I have no intention to go through their BS. If they fingerprint me, it will be to issue me a concealed carry permit and that's it.

But, in a shop talking to someone that's a certified instructor and in the middle of the fight, he laughed at me and told me that the weapons permit is required to register ANY regulated firearm and that ALL regulated firearms in the state will need to be registered - meaning the entire collection of anything you have that is on the list.

Like I said, I'm not up on the latest version plus I don't want to hijack this thread as there are others dealing with SB281, but there could be a reason to be concerned if all firearm collections must be entirely registered.

I think we're dancing around on slightly different topics of the bill. I blame the vague bill that is SB281 for that. But I'll agree to not continue to hijack this thread.

So, in honor of getting back on track:

AR-15 lower submitted: 3/12
    Received by MSP: 3/15
    Collector status mailed: 3/25

I have a long wait still to go. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads