• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I just got off the phone with MSP regarding an additional purchase approval I want to submit even though I am waiting for another one to come back.

The lady on the phone said to answer the "taken possession of or applied to purchase a regulated firearm within the last thirty (30) days" accurately and MSP will sort out the thirty (30) day period based upon what is in its system.

If your last approval is more than thirty (30) days ago, they will release the approval. If it has been less than thirty (30) days, they will put a hold on it until the thirty (30) day period has been met.

My plan is to wait thirty (30) days between each submission and then submit for another approval. I'll answer the 30 day question on Form 77R truthfully and give them a date IF I have picked up a regulated firearm within the past thirty (30) days. Then the ball will be in MSP court to keep track of the 30 day period. Since they are already 30+ days behind, there is no way they are going to approve any application before the 30 day period expires from the previous approval.

And yes, I am also waiting on approval for my Designated Collector status. Hoping for Xmas in April.

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    I just got off the phone with MSP regarding an additional purchase approval I want to submit even though I am waiting for another one to come back.

The lady on the phone said to answer the "taken possession of or applied to purchase a regulated firearm within the last thirty (30) days" accurately and MSP will sort out the thirty (30) day period based upon what is in its system.

If your last approval is more than thirty (30) days ago, they will release the approval. If it has been less than thirty (30) days, they will put a hold on it until the thirty (30) day period has been met.

My plan is to wait thirty (30) days between each submission and then submit for another approval. I'll answer the 30 day question on Form 77R truthfully and give them a date IF I have picked up a regulated firearm within the past thirty (30) days. Then the ball will be in MSP court to keep track of the 30 day period. Since they are already 30+ days behind, there is no way they are going to approve any application before the 30 day period expires from the previous approval.

And yes, I am also waiting on approval for my Designated Collector status. Hoping for Xmas in April.

Since they are operating outside the laws on the books (7DAYS shall issue) why should we have to wait additional time because of their lack of ability. I am glad they made a responsible decision. I am in the same boat so come Monday I plan to go SHOPPING!!!! LAst submission 3/8 so by the time it hits my FFL it should be 37 days.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Get your designated collector letter and you wont have to worry about the 30 days

Check the very end of my post. Sent that out on March 1, MSP received it on March 2, and I am still waiting for my letter in the mail. Good news is, they aren't as far behind on those checks as they are on regulated firearms checks. As I said, hoping for Xmas in April.

07MDRubi

Sep 3, 2012
    Do you mind if I ask who you spoke with? I recieved similar information from the MSP have and was told by my FFL that what you are planning on doing is against the law and they would not submit paperwork while another application was pending. Having multiple submissions pending would cause an issue and get myself and the FFL in trouble.

I had similar correspondence with the MSP that lead me to believe that they were ok with what you were discribing, just nothing solid enough to convince my FFL of this. I have not pushed further as my FFL is being very accommodating with me and I don't want to do anything they are not comfortable with. It would be great if we could get a written opinion on this. I plan to write the person I was dealing with at MSP to see if we can get a written protocol for this issue.

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013
    This is interesting. The only way for MSP to respect people's rights between now and October will be to follow this procedure: despite MSP's own delay, allow people to file successive applications in the meantime, as long as they don't take possession of their items more frequently than every 30 days. I will be interested to hear if people are told by MSP that they can't do this: that they must wait until the end of the 60-day waiting period to file, or worse, wait 30 days after that.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Do you mind if I ask who you spoke with? I recieved similar information from the MSP have and was told by my FFL that what you are planning on doing is against the law and they would not submit paperwork while another application was pending. Having multiple submissions pending would cause an issue and get myself and the FFL in trouble.

I had similar correspondence with the MSP that lead me to believe that they were ok with what you were discribing, just nothing solid enough to convince my FFL of this. I have not pushed further as my FFL is being very accommodating with me and I don't want to do anything they are not comfortable with. It would be great if we could get a written opinion on this. I plan to write the person I was dealing with at MSP to see if we can get a written protocol for this issue.

She did not give me her name. I am going to write a letter on "letterhead" as my brothers like to call it, and ask them for a formal written opinion on this matter. I don't see where a crime is being committed IF you submit the Form 77R and reply honestly to the 30 day question. Heck, even if you did pick up the day you complete that 77R, by the time they get to it, 60 days will have passed so the pickup that day is irrelevant.

If they are going to approach this in any other way than what the lady told me over the phone today, then I believe it is a violation of our 2nd Amendment right and the law as it is written right now. The law simply states:

(b) One purchase limit. -- A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period.

There is nothing in the law prohibiting a person from applying for another purchase within 30 days. Heck, I did just that back in 2009. Picked up one regulated firearm and then turned around and applied for another 24 days later. I just put down the date I picked up the previous one. I was approved on day 30 and then picked it up a week or so after that.

I just need to figure out who is in charge of the MSP Licensing Division so I can write this letter. Already have the address and fax number, just need to figure out the name and the phones are down for the day. Been trying to google it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is interesting. The only way for MSP to respect people's rights between now and October will be to follow this procedure: despite MSP's own delay, allow people to file successive applications in the meantime, as long as they don't take possession of their items more frequently than every 30 days. I will be interested to hear if people are told by MSP that they can't do this: that they must wait until the end of the 60-day waiting period to file, or worse, wait 30 days after that.

Yep, it will be interesting if my next application is denied. Guessing that it will not be because they will not get to it until 30+ days after they approve the first one. Could end up being a good law suit.

07MDRubi

Sep 3, 2012
    She did not give me her name. I am going to write a letter on "letterhead" as my brothers like to call it, and ask them for a formal written opinion on this matter. I don't see where a crime is being committed IF you submit the Form 77R and reply honestly to the 30 day question. Heck, even if you did pick up the day you complete that 77R, by the time they get to it, 60 days will have passed so the pickup that day is irrelevant.

If they are going to approach this in any other way than what the lady told me over the phone today, then I believe it is a violation of our 2nd Amendment right and the law as it is written right now. The law simply states:

(b) One purchase limit. -- A person may not purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period.

There is nothing in the law prohibiting a person from applying for another purchase within 30 days. Heck, I did just that back in 2009. Picked up one regulated firearm and then turned around and applied for another 24 days later. I just put down the date I picked up the previous one. I was approved on day 30 and then picked it up a week or so after that.

I just need to figure out who is in charge of the MSP Licensing Division so I can write this letter. Already have the address and fax number, just need to figure out the name and the phones are down for the day. Been trying to google it.

I will PM you who I have been in contact with. I do not want to put his name out there in public but he has been very responsive and I think he is pretty high up the chain of command.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom