• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    Submit now. When the firearm arrives at the dealer, you will go in to complete your 4473. At that time, the dealer will complete the rest of the application and your 7 day wait period starts. Remember to bring your application number and PIN with you when you go to the dealer.

Congrats!

Thanks, do I need to bring my HQL card also? I already entered the number on the app. Also, by pure coincidence, I bought my first 1911, on JMB's birthday. I found out today and I thought that was pretty odd.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    this sounds like a royal pain in the ass and nothing more than another deterrent for those who wish to purchase a pistol. I know a lot of older people that wont want to deal with this.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks, do I need to bring my HQL card also? I already entered the number on the app. Also, by pure coincidence, I bought my first 1911, on JMB's birthday. I found out today and I thought that was pretty odd.

I would take the HQL just in case the dealer wants to see it. I always carry my HQL, my carry permits, and my driver's license. One never knows what ID you may need.

It always pays to be prepared.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    this sounds like a royal pain in the ass and nothing more than another deterrent for those who wish to purchase a pistol. I know a lot of older people that wont want to deal with this.

Age has nothing to do with it, you young whippersnapper.... It's a deterrent to all. Originally, I balked at going through the hoops of getting the HQL. Then I realized that by doing this, I fell into the funk that they want us all to do. Make it difficult to buy a handgun and many will not. So, I got my HQL and have bought more handguns since then. As a matter of fact, I've bought more handguns since the HQL law than I needed, but it was just a way to show them, that they can't stop me.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    I did the same thing. I had not purchased a handgun in many years. I resisted doing the HQL thing for various reasons. Then a handgun I really wanted appeared. I paid for it then jumped through all the hoops to execute the transaction ie 30 days for HQL, same 30 days for Collectors letter, 7 day waiting period after paperwork. That was last fall. Since then I have purchased several more handguns. On January 1 I filled out the forms electronically and got #18. Used that last week and when I got home I filled out forms for the next one. Taped the PIN and registration # to my HQL card so I'm ready to do it again. I plan to make the $$ I spent on the HQL worth my efforts. If it were not for the HQL I would have purchased that one last fall and stopped. Thanks Maryland. bob

george g.

Jan 11, 2009
    Edgemere
    I have a quick question on filling out the online registration.I bought 2 pistols on dec 3 2016 with the waver form,now when aked if I bought a handgun in the last 30 days do I put yes or no considering I have to wait 60 days before next purchase?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have a quick question on filling out the online registration.I bought 2 pistols on dec 3 2016 with the waver form,now when aked if I bought a handgun in the last 30 days do I put yes or no considering I have to wait 60 days before next purchase?

If you are not a designated collector, you must wait 60 days for your next purchase.

I would not complete the application until you're a little closer to your 60 day waiting period. Just so there's no confusion. The last thing you need is a no-knock at 2am for something that you didn't do. With this stuff being brand new and no one knowing the ins and outs, just hold off for another couple of weeks.

I'm not saying that would happen, but why take the chance.

Good Luck!

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon

IIRC it's 60 days between pickups, but I personally would wait 60 days from pickup to application just to avoid the possibility of any confusion, just to reiterate Mr Smith's point.

If you are not a designated collector, you must wait 60 days for your next purchase.

I would not complete the application until you're a little closer to your 60 day waiting period. Just so there's no confusion. The last thing you need is a no-knock at 2am for something that you didn't do. With this stuff being brand new and no one knowing the ins and outs, just hold off for another couple of weeks.

I'm not saying that would happen, but why take the chance.

Good Luck!

I would also go ahead and get the DC, it's worth the effort, and you won't have to worry next time.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Got the email that my hardware was ready for pickup. The email starts, "Congratulations...."
    WTF - Congratulations?
    I guess in the city, it's an accomplishment to be a non-prohibited person.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Got the email that my hardware was ready for pickup. The email starts, "Congratulations...."
    WTF - Congratulations?
    I guess in the city, it's an accomplishment to be a non-prohibited person.

"Apologies for the wait." would be preferable...

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    How do you fill out the forms for a stripped lower that does not require a HQL? Also, did I read right that you now have to show a copy of your Collectors Letter?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Maryland has determined that a HQL is not required to purchase a stripped lower. You still have to wait the 7 days but no HQL.

Oh, now my brain is engaged ... this hardware is HQL exempt as a class of exempt hardware that still is still a regulated purchase.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    It says on Page 25 of the user guide for the Electronic 77R that you must show your collectors letter to the dealer at time of purchase if you checked the box that you are a designated collector. It is new as of 1-1-2017.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Imdid a transfer this past week.

Waterloo barracks is open for transfers sun up to sun down seven days a week.
    What to do doe face to face transfers...
    1. Get sellers name email and phone.
    2. Mdsp.maryland.gov and select firearms transfer icon.
    3. Create an account for yourself.
    4. Enter your info and sellers basic info into the form and go all the way until it says "submit"
    5. Wait a day or two for the form to percolate through the system.
    6. You will get an email with the request number and pin. Write those down and check the numbers twice. A typo is a huge waste of time.
    7. Meet the seller at the barracks. LEAVE GUN IN CAR.
    8. Enter. Officer will take your hql and drivers license and sellers drivers licence and enter remaining information.
    9. Duty officer walks to the sellers car and verifies the serial number, make, and model. Note, this can only be done in DAYLIGHT! Note, theey will not inspect in the RAIN or SNOW!
    10. Back inside, a creditcard is required to pay $10 transfer fee.
    11. Seller leaves with the firearm. It remains the sellers responsibility for the seven gay wait.
    12. Both seller and buyer will recieve email from mdsp stating that the transfer was NOT REJECTED. At this point seller and buyer have 90 days to meet and exchange money for firearm.

I do not believe the seller or buyer notify mdsp of the exchange. It took me about 90 minutes at the station to complete the transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom