• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    So what are the old guys to do that don't have e-mail or credit cards?

As a transferee, you don't need a credit card. You only need an email address to create an account to create applications when it goes live. We as the dealers are paying the 77R application fee.

If a dealer doesn't have email or a credit/debit card, then they might want to realize it's not 1972 anymore... :innocent0

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    As a transferee, you don't need a credit card. You only need an email address to create an account to create applications when it goes live. We as the dealers are paying the 77R application fee.

If a dealer doesn't have email or a credit/debit card, then they might want to realize it's not 1972 anymore... :innocent0

:lol: no reason to not have e-mail or a credit card, but it's a free country....

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    :lol: no reason to not have e-mail or a credit card, but it's a free country....

You are correct that there is absolutely no requirement to have either, but if you want to buy a modern handgun in Maryland starting on January 1st, then you will have to have at least an email address and a phone number. Not my requirement, either. If you don't have an email address, we can still help you to purchase handguns.

mrgnstrn

Mar 18, 2014
    Thinking outside the box here....
    But does this mean that customers can purchase online, fill out "paperwork" online, wait a week, then come in to do the NICS check and walk out that day?

(I know that such a scheme would go against the *real* purpose of the 2013 law, which clearly was to make buying a gun a huge hassle to dissuade people from doing go.)

-m

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Thinking outside the box here....

But does this mean that customers can purchase online, fill out "paperwork" online, wait a week, then come in to do the NICS check and walk out that day?

(I know that such a scheme would go against the *real* purpose of the 2013 law, which clearly was to make buying a gun a huge hassle to dissuade people from doing go.)

-m

Dealers don't do the NICS check for handguns. MSP does. You'll be able to create an application online at home, then provide the dealer an application number and PIN, verify your information, we add the gun info, then you pick up the handgun 8 days later.

I'm waiting to hear back from the ATF to confirm the 4473 can be done when you pick it up instead of when you purchase it. In my opinion, it can be done which means you only have to the store once. I like to get confirmation from the agency that issues, and can suspend, my license, however... LOL

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I did receive confirmation from the ATF that the 4473 has to be done face-to-face at the time of purchase. The 4473 initiates the NICS check, even if MSP does the check.

You will still need to come to the store twice for every handgun. The time needed for paperwork will be greatly reduced with the new online system.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This is going to get crazy at gun shows like Howard County. Those building have always been a pain to get a cellular signal. I tried to buy a rifle from Gus at the show. He couldn't get a signal and because of my name, he was on hold for more than 40 minutes when we decided to forget about the deal. We eventually completed the transaction, but this is not going to make things easier for that and other reasons.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    This is going to get crazy at gun shows like Howard County. Those building have always been a pain to get a cellular signal. I tried to buy a rifle from Gus at the show. He couldn't get a signal and because of my name, he was on hold for more than 40 minutes when we decided to forget about the deal. We eventually completed the transaction, but this is not going to make things easier for that and other reasons.

gun shows is what I'm curious about not so much cell service but filling out the online form at a gun show etc

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Guns shows and handguns will not get done unless you have internet access or willing to travel to the gun store after the show to do the 77R.

Long guns will be the same as they are now.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Guns shows and handguns will not get done unless you have internet access or willing to travel to the gun store after the show to do the 77R.

Wow, one more significant hoop to jump through. Will handgun sales in the state increase or decrease because of this? Gonna decrease a lot, I'd think.

If I drove up from Salisbury to one of the western shore shows, handgun sales would be out of the question. Do the 4473 at the show, drive back up another day to do the 77R at the dealer's, then drive up again for pickup? 3 round trips instead of the already-a-pain-in-the-butt 2 trips. No thanks.

No offense to Tyler's. Even though I've only been there once, Chuck was awesome, love the shop and would shop there if I lived on that side of the bay. Just that every "new" thing MSP comes up with seems to be more burden.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Wow, one more significant hoop to jump through. Will handgun sales in the state increase or decrease because of this? Gonna decrease a lot, I'd think.

If I drove up from Salisbury to one of the western shore shows, handgun sales would be out of the question. Do the 4473 at the show, drive back up another day to do the 77R at the dealer's, then drive up again for pickup? 3 round trips instead of the already-a-pain-in-the-butt 2 trips. No thanks.

No offense to Tyler's. Even though I've only been there once, Chuck was awesome, love the shop and would shop there if I lived on that side of the bay. Just that every "new" thing MSP comes up with seems to be more burden.

Three trips would only be required IF the dealer at the show doesn't have internet access, either via a smart phone or computer. The new system is mobile friendly and works great from what I've seen. Sure, some dealers are resistant to change and at least one dealer doesn't have internet at their store. That will make life difficult but not impossible.

This is a good thing for Maryland and will greatly streamline the handgun transfer process. You'll see when it goes live.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Three trips would only be required IF the dealer at the show doesn't have internet access, either via a smart phone or computer. The new system is mobile friendly and works great from what I've seen. Sure, some dealers are resistant to change and at least one dealer doesn't have internet at their store. That will make life difficult but not impossible.

This is a good thing for Maryland and will greatly streamline the handgun transfer process. You'll see when it goes live.

I do agree that it SHOULD be a good thing, but this is the state of Maryland and I'll hold off on my opinion until a few months have passed.

If things work as intended (or as explained) there shouldn't be any issues. But again, this is Maryland and I'll wait to see what happens. :fingerscrossed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom