• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Outstanding, yet again! All three of my state reps and my senator are sponsoring this bill. I wrote an email to Senator Klausmeier expressing my thanks for her support of this bill.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The crossfile is now showing on the link to HB332 and it is SB420:
    http://mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/billfile/sb0420.htm

Sponsored By:
    Senators Jacobs, Astle, Brinkley, Colburn, DeGrange, Dyson, Edwards, Glassman, Greenip, Haines, Harris, Kittleman, Klausmeier, Middleton, Mooney, Munson, Muse, Pipkin, Simonaire, Stoltzfus, and Stone (21 of 47)

'bout time. I'll work on this tonight.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Response from Senator Klausmeier (not a canned response either):

Thank you for your email. Did you see that it is being heard today in the Judicial Proceeding Committee?

I don't know if that was public knowledge as of yet, but I suppose it is now.

Edit: Sen. Klausmeier has invited me to stop by her office in the likely event I attend one of the House hearings. How about that?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Response from Senator Klausmeier (not a canned response either):

Thank you for your email. Did you see that it is being heard today in the Judicial Proceeding Committee?

I don't know if that was public knowledge as of yet, but I suppose it is now.

Edit: Sen. Klausmeier has invited me to stop by her office in the likely event I attend one of the House hearings. How about that?

WHAT? SB420 was being heard today?

Or is she talking about HB332? That hearing is February 12th at 1pm..

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Norton: To my knowledge she was talking about SB420. If you check the link to the Senate bill, it looks like it was read yesterday.

Edit: When I said "yesterday", I was referring to the fact that it said it was read on 2/2. Then I saw this: "Legislative date is used to record history occuring(sic) in the Chambers otherwise Calendar date is used." There's a FAQ link next to that text that discusses the difference.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    OK....all she was talking about was that it was read into the register in front of the whole Senate. That's different than the hearing, which occurs in the JPR at an as yet to be determined date.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Ah ha. My apologies for the confusion. Is the House hearing still on for both the 12th and the 19th?

The hearing on SB332 is on February 12 in the House.

That same day are hearing on some protective order bills that are being heard in the senate.

Their companion bills in the House are being heard on the 19th.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Norton, could you clarify exactly what we are to do for this hearing? I've never participated in something like this before, but I'd like to figure out what I'm doing ahead of time. The only thing I can figure out on my own is 1) business or business casual attire seems appropriate and 2) not to bring my gun as an indication of my support for civil immunity. :) Any help would be appreciated.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Hearings start at 1pm.

Business casual or business attire is appropriate.

You have the opportunity to testify or just be part of the audience. You can sign up to testify in favor or in opposition to a bill.

I used to sign up to testify on the respective form based on my position, just to register my opinion. In the beginning I rarely actually spoke.

If you decide to speak, you have 3 minutes to state your case on the bill. They can ask you questions but you may not ask them any.

If you don't know the answer to a question, the best thing to say is "I don't know".

When I started out testifying, I kind of just followed the people who at the time were the main folks for our side. Some times, all you need to say is "I am hear to register my (opposition/support) for this bill and ask for a (unfavorable/favorable) report from the committee.

Lindsay's Dad

Oct 21, 2008
    Monrovia
    Any update on when Del Riley's Bill will be read? Would like to go to that hearing as well. Will it be on the 12th also? (hard to tell right?)

MikeV

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Not there as of 2:50pm today.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Hearings start at 1pm.

You have the opportunity to testify or just be part of the audience. You can sign up to testify in favor or in opposition to a bill.

I used to sign up to testify on the respective form based on my position, just to register my opinion. In the beginning I rarely actually spoke.

If you decide to speak, you have 3 minutes to state your case on the bill. They can ask you questions but you may not ask them any.

If you don't know the answer to a question, the best thing to say is "I don't know".

When I started out testifying, I kind of just followed the people who at the time were the main folks for our side. Some times, all you need to say is "I am hear to register my (opposition/support) for this bill and ask for a (unfavorable/favorable) report from the committee.
    HB517MDS.jpg
    NOTE: The FEDERAL Box is 'MT' :rolleyes:

Terpfan

Aug 24, 2008
    Howard County
    Hearings start at 1pm.

Few additions:
    -Show up before noon because they collect the testimony signin sheet at noon (it is front of the committee).
    -With written testimony put your name, bill number, and pro/con on the top and then make 30 copies. Go to the right of the committee room and hand these to the staffer that is sitting in the entrance to the door.
    -Business or business casual
    -If you are officially representing an organization (or business) make sure to note that on the sign in sheet as they are typically given preference in testifying and also sometimes allocated 5 minutes instead of 3.

It is a great experience and testifying is also your right.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    My snail mail and email letters to my delegate.....

Subj: Support for HB 332 (Victims of Crime - Burglary and Crimes of Violence - Civil Immunity)

Dear Delegate Wood:

I am voting resident of district 29A and wish to voice my support for the subject bill. This bill will provide law-abiding citizens protection from civil suits filed by criminals who illegally invaded their home or business. It will be heard in the judiciary committee on Feb 12th. Unfortunately I will be out of town on business that week, otherwise I would travel to Annapolis to testify in favor. I noticed that you were not listed as a co-sponsor of this critical piece of legislation. I humbly ask that you consider supporting this bill when it successfully comes out of committee.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully submitted,

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Few additions:
    -Show up before noon because they collect the testimony signin sheet at noon (it is front of the committee).
    -With written testimony put your name, bill number, and pro/con on the top and then make 35 copies. Go to the right of the committee room and hand these to the staffer that is sitting in the entrance to the door.
    -Business or business casual
    -If you are officially representing an organization (or business) make sure to note that on the sign in sheet as they are typically given preference in testifying and also sometimes allocated 5 minutes instead of 3.

It is a great experience and testifying is also your right.

35 copies for the House Judiciary Committee.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom