• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's been a long while since I've advertised this and I really want more kids to join, so why not:

MRPC Junior Marksmen is a Scholastic Action Shooting Program shooting team for pre-teens and teens in grades 3-12. It is run under the aegis of Meade Rifle and Pistol Club and AGC Action Shooting. Athletes on the team participate in a static Steel Challenge-style shooting competition on pre-defined stages consisting of five targets in various positions. The goal is to shoot them in the shortest time possible, which requires speed and accuracy. Matches are conducted in squads of four, within various equipment and age divisions. The team also practices other skills that are useful in other action shooting disciplines, such as IDPA, USPSA, Falling Steel, and 3gun. The athletes frequently show up at AGC Action Shooting matches and perform quite well.

The Jr Marksmen had a fantastic 2021 season, culminating in a trip to Nationals in Columbus, Ohio. They are excited to take what we learned last season and do even better this season! The team is looking for new athletes to join and enjoy the fast-paced, fun SASP sport.

Athletes on the team practice on Wednesday evenings in the spring and summer (once a month on third Sundays year-round), and shoot matches on Sundays during the summer. MRPC Jr Marksmen will teach your pre-teen/teen how to do action shooting, and they will develop proficiency at a rate that may stun you. The financial requirements to participate are relatively modest as well.

If you are interested, please PM me. I will be happy to answer any of your questions (comment below!) and tell you whatever you need to know. We would also love it if you checked us out at our open practices on the third Sunday of every month at 1PM (weather permitting; check the AGC calendar before coming over) in the action bays at AGC.

-----------------------------

So, guys, legitimately, this is an amazing shooting opportunity for your kids. We practice a lot during the season, and it's amazing how damned good the athletes get. Plus, I make sure they get to practice skills they'd need for USPSA, IDPA, and Falling Steel events. We're super safe, you don't need crazy expensive guns to participate (I will lend you mine to start, just bring factory ammo!), and it's so much fun.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Good morning!

My son currently is USPSA B Class in OPEN. We would like to watch a practice to see if this competition would assist him in meeting his USPSA goals for the up coming season. When is your next practice?

Thanks for what you are doing to support shooting sports!

JT

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My son currently is USPSA B Class in OPEN. We would like to watch a practice to see if this competition would assist him in meeting his USPSA goals for the up coming season. When is your next practice?
    Ordinarily, it would be this Sunday, but given the snow forecast, it will probably be February 20. This may even be a legit match, since there's a virtual invitational we may want to participate in.

Will it help him? That's an interesting question. If we were talking Steel Challenge, I'd unequivocally say yes. However, USPSA is a game about movement as much as shooting (IMHO), so that former component won't be there. But in terms of "get your gun out of the holster and transition fast", it's tremendously helpful. It's also a pretty decent place to get good on PCCs.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    Ordinarily, it would be this Sunday, but given the snow forecast, it will probably be February 20. This may even be a legit match, since there's a virtual invitational we may want to participate in.

Will it help him? That's an interesting question. If we were talking Steel Challenge, I'd unequivocally say yes. However, USPSA is a game about movement as much as shooting (IMHO), so that former component won't be there. But in terms of "get your gun out of the holster and transition fast", it's tremendously helpful. It's also a pretty decent place to get good on PCCs.

Copy on the weather!

Would he be able to run his open gun from the holster? Is there a powerfactor for the ammo? We are running 9 major currently.

Thanks for the quick reply!

JT

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Copy on the weather!

Would he be able to run his open gun from the holster? Is there a powerfactor for the ammo? We are running 9 major currently.
    SASP rulebook here:
    https://sssfonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/SASP-handbook-2019-2020-FINAL.pdf

You will want to read the equipment division rules. By and large, your gun is probably not going to fit if it's a 2011 with optics. You also MUST shoot irons with a different pistol to shoot in their equivalent of carry optics at the same match. (Yes, two guns.)

Also, I should clarify: SASP starts from low ready. At the Sunday practices, we have a little more flexibility in how we can allow draws (and which guns), but Wednesday practices and Sunday matches need to comply with the rules.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    SASP rulebook here:
    https://sssfonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/SASP-handbook-2019-2020-FINAL.pdf

You will want to read the equipment division rules. By and large, your gun is probably not going to fit if it's a 2011 with optics.

Also, I should clarify: SASP starts from low ready. At the Sunday practices, we have a little more flexibility in how we can allow draws (and which guns), but Wednesday practices and Sunday matches need to comply with the rules.

Copy all! This may not be the best fit for us. I will go through the rule book but we have a big investment in equipment as it is!

Thanks,

JT

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Copy all! This may not be the best fit for us. I will go through the rule book but we have a big investment in equipment as it is!
    Totally understand. I will note that the lower end equipment requirements is along the lines of a 10/22 and six mags (plus ammo), which is not a huge lift in general.

You are still welcome to join us at the third Sunday practices. I do put up some more USPSA-like stages there, but they're still all steel with minimal movement.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Bumping this since the season is now officially starting for us. Wednesday practices every week until we run out of daylight in the evening. :) Please contact me if you have an interested young adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom