• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have a Riverman HK MP5SD. I was shooting it today and it was all over the place. It had approximately 3ft hit radius.

It was accurate the last time I shot it with iron sites. This time I did the following and it acted the same way each time.

1) I shot it with Burris AR-332 scope

2) Another shooter tried the same.

3) Shot it with iron sites, no scope

4) Other person shot it iron sites no scope

5) Tried different ammo as well.

6) When we removed the suppressor there was a lot of black stuff, looked like unburned powder, fell out.

Nothing appears loose but it is not consistent. It shoots high one shot then low the next then maybe two shots on target then it shoots wide.

Any thoughts?

Dave

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    The MP5SD does get dirty fast. I shot about 250 rounds through mine yesterday. If you are hitting all over the place like that, my guess would be that you are getting some type of intermittent strike on the end cap to the can or a baffle. That might be from a problem back at the barrel or with the alighment of the can. Did you try shooting a few rounds without the can to see if the point of impact was consitent? Given that the barrel is ported inside the handguard, I would only do this for a few shots without the can. You could also put a piece of blue tape over the end of the can and see if the location of the hole changes after 10 shots.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What weight projectiles? The SD was designed for supersonic ammo, that is unless this isn't a real SD.

Is this ammo factory or reloads?

Lead Projectile or FMJ?

WHats your bolt gap?

Is the right locking piece in it? Suppressed HK9x use a different locking piece when suppressed.

Whats the crown look like?

Is there heavy lead/copper buildup in the barrel?

Can you remove the can and shoot it to check for a baffle strike?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD

See answers below in RED. Will be cleaning gun and can as soon as I can chat with S&H arms.

What weight projectiles? 115gr and 124gr

The SD was designed for supersonic ammo, that is unless this isn't a real SD. - It is a real SD

Is this ammo factory or reloads? Factory Winchester and Remington

Lead Projectile or FMJ? FMJ

WHats your bolt gap? Unknown

Is the right locking piece in it? Suppressed HK9x use a different locking piece when suppressed. - Unknown

Whats the crown look like? Black. It is covered with crud.

Is there heavy lead/copper buildup in the barrel? Don't see any yet. Need to get the foregrip off to get a really good look.

Can you remove the can and shoot it to check for a baffle strike? Will try that next time at the range in a day or so.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    It's also possible that the barrel is completely shot out. I would take a look with a bore scope I would also clean the mofo!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's also possible that the barrel is completely shot out. I would take a look with a bore scope I would also clean the mofo!
    It's VERY difficult to shoot out a barrel using handgun ammo. Cleaning it might help, but I doubt the rifling is the issue.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Looks like your sd is filthy. The sd has a ported barrel and those ports tend to clog up. When that happens , it starts shaving off bullet jackets causing them to destabilize in flight.

Sd's require that these ports and suppressor must be cleaned often. Chunks of carbon in the can, clogged ports causing shaved jackets will eff up your accuracy. Check for baffle strikes as well.

Also, if you have a sd . Do not fire it without the can. It can damage the handguards and cause injury.

A thorough cleaning seems to be what your sd requires, use an hk mp5 sd port cleaning brush. Soak the can in kroil and tap out the carbon deposits. Clean out the barrel as well with a good brush , nitro solvent and lots of elbow grease.

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    AR15Dave, Rsideout, and any other MP5SD owners,

I am SO HAPPY to have found this thread. I just paid for - and am now waiting on the transfer - for an out-of-state MP5 SD. I figure in a year to 18 months, I should have the gun in my hands. One of my biggest concerns is that I wouldn't be able to find any other SD owners in MD; folks that I could ask questions of, get tips from, maybe even shoot some rounds together, etc. It was thus a great relief to see there are some other SD owners here.

By way of introduction, I own a few ARs, pistols, etc. and a few NFA items (mostly suppressors, but also a few autos). I know nothing about the SD other than I've wanted one forever. I live near Salisbury, MD and I periodically shoot at Delmarva Shooting Clays. Once the wait is over, and I get the gun in my hands, I hope you don't mind if I lean on you guys for some tips.

Eventually, I think I'm going to buy a sear, so that I can own some more H&Ks. From what I've read, they are the best.

Cheers!

P.S. ScarCQB, you win the signature award for the day with "Designated Stamp Collector". I resemble that statement!

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Well, finally got a chance to clean out the barrel inside and out and fired the MP5SD yesterday at the range. It shot fine. So, it appears it was dirtier than I thought or something was stuck down in the port area. I built a port cleaner. It worked really good. Need to modify it a bit but works great.

Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom